Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Provider Recommendation Please?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey,

I am looking to find the best deal for me and I was wondering if anyone knows of the top of their head which would be the best/cheapest.

I would be looking for unlimited texts to all networks and a good internet deal for my phone as I would use it to be checking facebook/twitter, not so much downloading.

Now my problem is that Meteor, who I am currently with (Pre-pay Anytime Choice, free unlimited texts to any network) are charging me 20eu a month but if I want an internet add-on I am expected to be a Bill-pay Customer.

But there is no bill-pay plan on meteor which allows unlimited texts to any network. So it looks like its either keep pre-pay or go bill-pay which would cost me more in the long run.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You have two choices at the moment:
    First is Vodafone Ready to Go.
    €20/month gets you unlimited texts to any network.
    Vodafone then have what's called an ISP access point, where you are charged 19c per MB of data transferred on Ready to Go prepay.
    If you are using it for just browsing facebook a few times a day, it'll probably end up costing you a couple of euro per month.
    I'm on Vodafone, and have my phone set to check e-mail every 30 minutes, get newsfeeds from RTÉ every hour and I also browse facebook, boards etc. most days. Cost me about €5 in total last month for the net. Vodafone also do the 99c/day for 50MB if there are days where you need to do some heavy downloading so you won't get stung at 19c/MB.

Plus, if you carry your number over from Meteor, when you top-up €20, you get €10 extra free credit for 10 months which is nice!

Second choice is 3.
    They don't do unlimited any network texts, but they do offer cheaper texts than most networks at 5c/text. Depends on how many texts you send.
    3 offer a 1GB data add-on for prepay for €10 per month.

Also, three give you €10 credit extra per month, for 7 months, when you top up €10. Each €10 free credit does have a 30 day expiry period though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

There are two 3 Best of Both almost-prepay tariffs that offer unlimited texting.

Although you set up a DD etc, there is no bill shock, as like a pre-pay, when your credit runs out, you have to top up to make more calls.

If you go SIM only, then there is no real minimum period just some notification period, but it's not severe.

I'm not sure, but I'd say you could buy a data bundle out of your allotment of "free minutes" that you've already paid for too, (instead of having to "top-up" with an additional E9, if I'm wrong).

You'd wanna check up on that though.

Three are great. Don't believe the naysayers. They would be my main carrier but there's no beating Tesco for the low to medium volume voice traffic.

I STILL have a three phone, even though I don't give them my "voice" business.

They are easily the most professional network I've dealt with.
    You hardly need to go near them because mistakes are rare (unlike my experience of other networks) and they have marvelous manners too.

Advertisement