Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ban Wave

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Just to let you all know there is a new ban wave in effect.

if you have been hit let us all know what firmware you have and dvd drive.

Info Here

Comments

[FONT=monospace]
    [LIST=1]
    [*]October 2009 bans - 
    [*]It's not the firmware we've had 1.51 and 1.6 and 1.61
    [*]it's not the drive, all manufacturers have banned drives
    [*]it's not any wave 4 game.  
    [*]People who HAVEN'T played borderlands have been banned.  
    [*]People who haven't done the wifi update have been banned. (if they can't connect at all, it doesn't even OFFER the update, you're banned.
    [*]That's what we know.
    [/LIST]
    [/FONT]

Havnt signed in myself, at times like this i like to ride it out offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

cisk wrote: »
    Havnt signed in myself, at times like this i like to ride it out offline.

If any of the past waves are anything to go by it doesn't matter. If you're going to be banned, you've already ticked the boxes on your 360 and will be banned next time you go online.

Thats true, but i haven't been on-line in awhile. Id rather see the reports, and see if any counter measures can be taken.

So far hasn't been reports from anyone outside the US being banned. Hmm

[21:06] <@c4eva&gt; livelog is complete, analysing!

<@c4eva&gt; no new checks in livelog! will repeat in a few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have my xbox1 being modified and have to use 360 to play avi's etc.
    Unfortunately there is something wrong with my Gamertag setup and I have to be connected to Live every time I'm trying watch a film.

That means: I'm connecting 2 times a day, with spoofed Lite-On as Benq (1.6), with burned game inside (again, I'm lazy and I just leave Fallout in the drive), with home-made hard drive. No ban yet. Thankfully I check my images using abgx.

But I think if so I should be first to be ban. I will update if something happens to my console (don't worry, I have another 4 waiting to be fixed ;P)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well I've been playing borderlands as of wednesdays and its still working grand enought today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

playing modern warfare 2 and its working grand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thor wrote: »
    playing modern warfare 2 and its working grand.

Not sure if its the case for you but the only versions ive seen out of that are patched jobs which arent retail and means a very high risk of being banned especially since the game isnt out for another 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

Anyone get hit with a ban yet,or is it just the US???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

docentore wrote: »
    I have my xbox1 being modified and have to use 360 to play avi's etc.
    Unfortunately there is something wrong with my Gamertag setup and I have to be connected to Live every time I'm trying watch a film.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055536852 :)

From time to time it will happen again but the last time i had to do it on mine was when i posted that thread hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I just got hit with a ban tonight. What do you folks suggest, is there a way around this ? Running 1.51 afaik (Docentore, it was your handiwork).

I'm not toobothered as I dont play online, but for some reason my profile is messed up and cant play .avi's. Any suggestions, or is the box now pretty useless ?

s8n wrote: »
    I just got hit with a ban tonight. What do you folks suggest, is there a way around this ? Running 1.51 afaik (Docentore, it was your handiwork).

I'm not toobothered as I dont play online, but for some reason my profile is messed up and cant play .avi's. Any suggestions, or is the box now pretty useless ?

Any ideas why you got caught out of curiousity? Were you playing games before their release dates on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Strangely....No.

As I said, I dont play online and am currently halfway through Arkham Asylum. I have never played a game before release date. Just signed in to view a video and it came up as banned....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well I think you need to be connected to live to be able to play avi's because it gets the codec online

that means the wave started to hit Ireland. No one really knows why or how the ms knows which console to ban.

I'm going to power on mine, will see what happens.

EDIT: no ban yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The Wave HAS started to hit Ireland, i got banned about half an hour ago.

Was playing online earlier today with no problem, tried to sign in just there and got the "This console is banned from Xbox Live for terms of service abuse" thing.

I was running 1.60 i think, most likely banned because i played FIFA about 4 days before release date (i couldnt help myself lol).

Not too upset, will most likely go legit again.

yea I got banned too.. but they ban console serial numbers and not by location

Lenny wrote: »
    yea I got banned too.. but they ban console serial numbers and not by location

They DO ban by location. Up to yesterday there were no bans in Europe, just north and south Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Can someone confirm that once you're banned you lose the Install to Hard-drive capability for offline play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

pH wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that once you're banned you lose the Install to Hard-drive capability for offline play?

That is what happens, yeah.

look here

Can those that got banned give some details

What firmware you are on, did you change it recently, do you play games before release etc. Seems Microsoft have upped their game a lot on the whole banning thing and are getting people that usually wouldnt get banned.

Axwell wrote: »
    Can those that got banned give some details

What firmware you are on, did you change it recently, do you play games before release etc. Seems Microsoft have upped their game a lot on the whole banning thing and are getting people that usually wouldnt get banned.

here and here

Thats makes about 160 pages (just for now) of peoples reports etc. No point in copying them here just because someone got ban in Ireland I think. The reasoning would be the same. And still no one knows why they were banned.

And only way to avoid is stay away from Live with modded console. I tested yesterday if got ban, but then disconnected it completely. I don't care about Live but I don't want to lose possibility of installing games onto hard drive

What gets banned though, the console or the gamertag or both?

Also if you have another hard drive I assume its worth sticking everything on to it and using that one for now, ie I have a 120gb and a 20gb if i transfer and use the 20gb one for now in case I get a ban least ill still have my 120gb one and it will be ok?

the console gets banned. hard drive will work on another hard drive, but I've heard that there might be a problem with saves etc.

Best solution: get memory card and backup your saves every evening/day after gaming session.

I have 2 consoles, a premium and an elite. The premium got flashed a while back and is fine up till now anyways (fingers crossed), havent checked since around lunchtime and it was fine. I flashed the elite myself about 2 weeks ago but it hasnt been used on live yet, only tested it for about 1 min offline to see if it loaded a game ok. If i was to reflash it and install the original firmware back on do you think this console would be safe enough? I dont mind too much risking the flashed one knowing the other would be ok but I dont want 2 wasted xbox sitting there.

I have 2 consoles, a premium and an elite. The premium got flashed a while back and is fine up till now anyways (fingers crossed), havent checked since around lunchtime and it was fine. I flashed the elite myself about 2 weeks ago but it hasnt been used on live yet, only tested it for about 1 min offline to see if it loaded a game ok. If i was to reflash it and install the original firmware back on do you think this console would be safe enough? I dont mind too much risking the flashed one knowing the other would be ok but I dont want 2 wasted xbox sitting there.

I would leave Elite without reflashing, just don't play any dodgy discs on it. As far as everyone are concerned there is no way (I mean NO WAY) that Microsoft can check what firmware do you have. The only way they can see if you have dodgy console is by playing burned games.

here and here

And only way to avoid is stay away from Live with modded console. I tested yesterday if got ban, but then disconnected it completely. I don't care about Live but I don't want to lose possibility of installing games onto
    hard drive

True but most of the games or better ones are multiplayer so you want to go on live to play them. I checked there today again and still no ban so fingers crossed. Also disconnecting it I assume wont make a difference really, if you are flagged for banning then next time you go on live you will get banned anyways. Unless you just dont go on live ever again?

As regards the hard drive thing I thought I read people are saying that this can be got around.

How long does the banning session usually last anyways from previous ban waves? Its moved on to Europe now so is there signs its stopped in the USA at this stage?

(...) Also disconnecting it I assume wont make a difference really, if you are flagged for banning then next time you go on live you will get banned anyways. Unless you just dont go on live ever again?
    (...)

Thats true, I won't. The only game I ever played on Live was 1vs100.
    I'm too easily getting addicted (almost like in Fallout) so I never tried to play any online games, not even WoW. Ok, I played some Q3 in old good times, but don't have time to do it now.

• Advertisement

Thats true, I won't. The only game I ever played on Live was 1vs100.
    I'm too easily getting addicted (almost like in Fallout) so I never tried to play any online games, not even WoW. Ok, I played some Q3 in old good times, but don't have time to do it now.

Your not so bad so. Ive looked on the forums and most people that have got banned have played games before the release date which is obviously stupid and their own fault. Some though havent and say they run agbx everytime to check their games and still got banned. So its hard to know whats getting people caught. I would hazard a guess in some cases though that even if the game passed on agbx that it could still be a bad rip or patched and they arent aware perhaps. If thats not the case then MS have to have come up with some new way to find out, up to now people who didnt play games early and took the necessary precautions always seemed to be ok so something is different this time. Any ideas on how long the banning sessions last though? I know with wave 4 they are a bit trigger happy so to speak but also a lot of people went on Modern warfare very early and forza which probably caused alerts, especially since MW2 is wave 4 and the versions people played were badly patched versions of the game.

Advertisement