Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ban Wave

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Theres no "fix" if you are banned. You can move your gamertag no problem or recover it and play away on a new/unbanned console. You can still play games offline on the banned one you just cant go on live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Right, if i was to check if im banned, is there anyway te make that xbox not banned again so to speak?! As in could i jus move my gamertag, get the xbox "fixed" and then move it back?

You wanna ask her if she caught the clap off you ?

sure you could head down to the Vd clinic and get cleaned up, but do you really thing she will let you back in there again ? i mean once you'd had an std your twice as likely to get another one, on purpose ....

Analogy still withstanding :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

well ive heard theres certain creams that...

no screw the analogy :D i mean getting my current xbox wiped,much the same as ye do with a computer, aka rebooting to an old state or something like that. Wiping the hardrive etc? Any remedies?

Basically no i get the feeling MS have been building up to this moment, over the past few months recording all those who have played games, since wave4, as i've mentioned, it's a game of cat and mouse, they find a new way to check if the discs are legit, or if some thing else matches up, or if you've got achievements before a game has been released etc.

you have to remember as long as your connected to live, you send your updates there every time you logon also, so they know, even if you never played the game on line with the cables connected.

Analogy time ...

Just because you were out of the country when you picked up the clap, dosent mean squat, cos when you get home you gotta get back in bed with your wife / gf, and that's when she's going to realise you were playing away from home / off-line.

Ok, so basically, IF im banned, which i dont know yet, it doesnt matter if i login tonight or in three months time, because the next time i go on i will be banned?

Havent played any games before release and have barely played any online..

As in is there any disincentive to me checking if im banned now? cos ill have the same limitations being banned as i do jus not going online..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    you have to remember as long as your connected to live, you send your updates there every time you logon also, so they know, even if you never played the game on line with the cables connected.

OK here's a thread in a different forum, from 2007 that covers this, can anyone say definitively that it's changed?

http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=9107.0

It was always said that live checks are performed whilst connected to XBox Live and that as long as you were rigorous about having the ethernet disconnected whilst playing a backup then you were OK. Even to the point of not needing perfect 'stealthed' images, agbx etc.

So is there any definite evidence - that someone has been banned from Live for playing a backup offline? or are these banning related to people playing online with copies?
    Ajfunky wrote:
    Ok, so basically, IF im banned, which i dont know yet, it doesnt matter if i login tonight or in three months time, because the next time i go on i will be banned?

That's my understanding, if banned, your console is flagged on LIve and the next time you connect it will be banned - you cannot wait it out. There is various speculation about how you can 'test' this without going online (risking the ability to use the HDD install offline) - requesting a repair/Test XBoxLive connection etc. but I'm not sure if any are 100%

What would be the point in testing if your banned? surely ye cant do anything bout it by that time?

pH wrote: »
    OK here's a thread in a different forum, from 2007 that covers this, can anyone say definitively that it's changed?

http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=9107.0

It was always said that live checks are performed whilst connected to XBox Live and that as long as you were rigorous about having the ethernet disconnected whilst playing a backup then you were OK. Even to the point of not needing perfect 'stealthed' images, agbx etc.

So is there any definite evidence - that someone has been banned from Live for playing a backup offline? or are these banning related to people playing online with copies?

That's my understanding, if banned, your console is flagged on LIve and the next time you connect it will be banned - you cannot wait it out. There is various speculation about how you can 'test' this without going online (risking the ability to use the HDD install offline) - requesting a repair/Test XBoxLive connection etc. but I'm not sure if any are 100%

Dont get me wrong, there's still a lot of speculation going around to do with these bans, what ever reason there using to ban folks, it's not as straight forward as you've been using a disc the doesnt sound like a legit disc.

As for my theory of them checking account / profiles, why not, it's a legit check .. i mean unless your a beta tester, or a game review you shouldn't have a pre release copy,even if a friend of a friend works for gamestop.

Of course you could always ring up and say, omg loyke, my friend who like totaly works for this gamestop place told me it was cool to play it early, on my legit xbox, can you unban me plz bill ??

What would be the point in testing if your banned? surely ye cant do anything bout it by that time?

Yes you can.

The 'new' ban basically stops console installing games on the HDD (offline not connected to live - forever), also it screws with gamesaves and profiles transferring from a 'banned' console to a legit one.

So if you think you might be banned, if there was a reliable check then at least you would have an XBox that still was useful offline, as it is if you go online and see if it's banned then your console is bricked (for all practical purposes).
    Of course you could always ring up and say, omg loyke, my friend who like totaly works for this gamestop place told me it was cool to play it early, on my legit xbox, can you unban me plz bill ??

And until we have evidence of people playing 100% legit original games early and getting banned incorrectly then what you're suggesting is pure speculation.

And until we have evidence of people playing 100% legit original games early and getting banned incorrectly then what you're suggesting is pure speculation.

Hey i said all along .... speculation, it's just my theory, and a few others also ...

i cant analogise that sentence im afraid

• Advertisement

Yes you can.

The 'new' ban basically stops console installing games on the HDD (offline not connected to live - forever), also it screws with gamesaves and profiles transferring from a 'banned' console to a legit one.

So if you think you might be banned, if there was a reliable check then at least you would have an XBox that still was useful offline, as it is if you go online and see if it's banned then your console is bricked (for all practical purposes).

That whole hard drive thing is getting mixed reports, some people said they got banned and put the HDD on another console and it works fine.
    Others said they just formatted it and it was fine afterwards.
    So theres so much mixed info going around the forums right now based on the whole lot. If you wanted to see if you are banned why not just take off the HDD and log in to live without it using a memory card with your profile on it. That way your HDD cant be made useless and you can still check if you are banned.
    Hopefully a definite reason for the bannings comes out as there is so much speculation about FW detections and everything else. In most cases its down to people playing games before release dates, Forza, Borderlands and MW2 the main ones. There are people though saying they didnt play any of those games or early releases and still banned. So until someone can say for sure that its not the FW no one really knows at the minute what the situation is.

Axwell wrote: »
    That whole hard drive thing is getting mixed reports, some people said they got banned and put the HDD on another console and it works fine.
    Others said they just formatted it and it was fine afterwards.
    So theres so much mixed info going around the forums right now based on the whole lot. If you wanted to see if you are banned why not just take off the HDD and log in to live without it using a memory card with your profile on it. That way your HDD cant be made useless and you can still check if you are banned.

You've gotten the wrong end of the stick here - the Hard Disk is fine (in another console) what you lose is the ability to install games on *any* HDD on the *banned* console, and the ability to xfer save games/profiles from a banned console to a legit one.

What this means is that even as an offline device the console is now sub-standard.

As it is *today* you can use your flashed console offline to install single player games to the HDD and play, you can also move your Gamertag (on a memory card) backwards and forwards between an offline (flashed) XBox and an online one. If you risk the flashed xbox on live and it gets banned you now lose that ability.

You've gotten the wrong end of the stick here - the Hard Disk is fine (in another console) what you lose is the ability to install games on *any* HDD on the *banned* console, and the ability to xfer save games/profiles from a banned console to a legit one.

What this means is that even as an offline device the console is now sub-standard.

As it is *today* you can use your flashed console offline to install single player games to the HDD and play, you can also move your Gamertag (on a memory card) backwards and forwards between an offline (flashed) XBox and an online one. If you risk the flashed xbox on live and it gets banned you now lose that ability.

Apparently you can take the HDD off anyways and run a connection test and if you get a specific error code it means the console is banned if you get any other its fine and that way you dont run the risk of your HDD being affected.

Apparently you can take the HDD off anyways and run a connection test and if you get a specific error code it means the console is banned if you get any other its fine and that way you dont run the risk of your HDD being affected.

Interesting ....

Heres what was on the forum about it...

Follow this guide:
    1.Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit
    2.Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in
    3.Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:
    W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000
    Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code.

Maybe someone who is banned can check and confirm they get that code??

Heres what was on the forum about it...

Follow this guide:
    1.Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit
    2.Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in
    3.Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:
    W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000
    Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code.

Maybe someone who is banned can check and confirm they get that code??

bit of sauce would go down well

:o sauce not needed, im dead in the water .... time to go buy another arcade and wm2 :D

Jus tryin this out now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I did the "test" also and dodged the bullet for now, tested 2 times a half hour apart.

My question is, is this "acid test" 100% on banned or not banned??????

I'm gonna test over the next 48 hours or so b4 normal service is resumed.

Just to add to the conspiracy theory mine and Dr4g's consoles both run 1.60 fw flashed at the same time by the same hands.

Edit : my box is a launch console the other one is a year or so old

Wwould have though it was more likely do dodge a ban than a rrod on a launchy console

w: 0000-000B
    x:0600 - f001
    y:20A8 - 4860
    Z: 8007 - 2741

ID:ffff - ffff

This is what i got. The update comes before it connects you to xbox live, and when you click no to it, you DO NOT connect to xbox live. So really this code could mean nothing, because technically im not receiving the ban (because i never get onto the service)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

w: 0000-000B
    x:0600 - f001
    y:20A8 - 4860
    Z: 8007 - 2741

ID:ffff - ffff

This is what i got. The update comes before it connects you to xbox live, and when you click no to it, you DO NOT connect to xbox live. So really this code could mean nothing, because technically im not receiving the ban (because i never get onto the service)?

Well when i tested I got Z: 8015 - 1002 that they say is what means no ban

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like everyone using iXtreme FW is going to get banned. C4EVA has had his 3 test 360 banned in 1.61FW.
    Sorry. ixtreme all versions is/are detectable or their behavior is detectable therefore hence a new FW is being worked on. For those with ixtreme I would advice no further use of 360 until this firmware is released. Until then, god bless 360scene. No technical data was being as to WHY its being detected all of a sudden.

Could be the end of Live play for modded consoles for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ongarite wrote: »
    Looks like everyone using iXtreme FW is going to get banned. C4EVA has had his 3 test 360 banned in 1.61FW.

Could be the end of Live play for modded consoles for quite a while.

I would imagine it is until he can figure out how MS are detecting the firmware, or until he can devise some way of spoofing the data MS are looking at...ie spoofing the ban code, spoofed serial numbers...

looks like they are working on a new firmware, and half assed saying it's firmware that's the cause of the bans..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

so in other words:
    stay out of live if you have moded console and you're not banned yet! You might be lucky!

Waiting for more news from c4eva now.

How long do you think it'll take? And would it be advisable not to play any new ripped games till then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

c4eva said no eta, so I don't know.

I you're asking my opinion I would stay away from live at all costs, even with original games. Actually if you care about live, make yourself a break ;)

How long do you think it'll take? And would it be advisable not to play any new ripped games till then?
    I'd say, maybe, but it's more likely your already banned, i tested the live connection last night, and was banned, no disc in the drive etc.

docentore wrote: »
    so in other words:
    stay out of live if you have moded console and you're not banned yet! You might be lucky!

Waiting for more news from c4eva now.

Might being the word ..

docentore wrote: »
    I would leave Elite without reflashing, just don't play any dodgy discs on it. As far as everyone are concerned there is no way (I mean NO WAY) that Microsoft can check what firmware do you have. The only way they can see if you have dodgy console is by playing burned games.

So that blows that out of the water then :D

So back to my question, I have an Elite that was flashed but never used online and only had a game in the tray to make sure it loaded ok for all of 20 seconds as I had another console I was playing games on (which got banned last night).
    Is it worth flashing it back to the original FW at this point on the elite and hoping it doesnt get banned. If the recent update has something to do with it does the update only resides on the hard drive and would putting a HDD on to it that hasnt got the update after its flashed back mean it wouldnt get detected at that stage? Or is it based on going on live and some signal being sent to check the FW when you sign in, in which case flashing it back before going online might be safe?

• Advertisement

I'd say, maybe, but it's more likely your already banned, i tested the live connection last night, and was banned, no disc in the drive etc.

Nah i checked there last night and i wasnt according to the internet status anyway!

Advertisement