Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ban Wave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

If anyone is fubarr'd WITHOUT HAVING LOGGED INTO LIVE AND HAVING LOST THEIR HD INSTALL CAPABILITY I'd be willing to take their blacklisted box off them for a discount - I've no interest in playing online and have been looking for a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    This is a great thing for microsoft, with the release of MW2 there will be thousands more consoles being bought around the world because people won't want to miss out on it.

Like me, you could have been there to share the experience with me big lad

I didn't use Live all that much. I can get over my gamerpoints addiction :p The lack of an "Install to hard drive" is going to drive me up the wall though.

Banned consoles can still play backup/pirated games, people won't miss out on MW2 single player anyways. But yeah, the LIVE experience is gone.

+1 for having a spare console, it rox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Quick question... Do you ever have to go online to get an update to play a game? i don't play my Xbox that much so I can't remember.

The reason I ask is that I have a flashed drive and I'm perfectly fine with never connecting it to live again but I'm wondering if in the future I'll be forced to for an upgrade to play a specific game. I don't care if I get banned from Live but it would be a dealbreaker for me if I could no longer install games to the HDD. It's just too noisy if games aren't installed.

No, games that require certain dashboard versions to run have those updates built in. You will be prompted to update your dashboard when you first run the game.

Alternatively, if you prefer you can download all dashboard updates from the xbox website, burn to a CD-R and the xbox will install them (even on unmodded xboxes).

It's quite clear that Microsoft have discovered a way to detect modded consoles. There are very very few (if any) legitimate reports of an unmodded xbox being banned. Thus, there is a chance that a future dashboard update will remove the install to harddrive feature for offline modded xboxes.

Some googling shows that the ban is localised to the NAND chip.

Someone who's 99% certain of a ban should try doing backup of the NAND and then log-in to Live. If they turn out to be banned they can at least try a re-flash to see if they can get back the install to HD capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Woah, wait a second...I played FIFA 10 the night ebfore official release when I saw it on sale. I have never modded or done anything illegal with my Xbox. Is there a chance I could be banned for this?

none at all

its got NOTHING to do with playing games pre release

if it was there wouldnt be a games journalist in the world with an xbox live account

just clueless rubbish spouted from people who havent the brains to think

youve no need to worry

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    Some googling shows that the ban is localised to the NAND chip.

Someone who's 99% certain of a ban should try doing backup of the NAND and then log-in to Live. If they turn out to be banned they can at least try a re-flash to see if they can get back the install to HD capability.

It is, the NAND is modified after the ban comes through. a little routine is run banning the console from XBL and removing the install to hard drive feature and the other things that happen.

Taking a NAND backup before the ban comes through means you can revert and regain the HD functionality but all updates to the dashboard will render your Xbox360 in the same state - banned with no install to HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You know its big news when it makes national news papers (or at least their websites)
    Microsoft is cutting off up to one million Xbox 360 users who modified their consoles to play pirated games over Xbox Live.

Any Xbox owners shown to have "violated terms of use" by installing hardware to play illegal games will be disconnected from the Live service – which allows multiple players to compete with each other over the internet.

Microsoft said that only a "small percentage" of its 20 million Xbox Live players were caught up in the sweep, although video games websites suggested that between 600,000 and one million people might be affected.

Modifying Xbox 360 consoles – by physically attaching extra chips or other hardware – to play pirated or foreign games has become a cottage industry.

While Microsoft can do little to prevent offenders from playing on their own machines, it has decided to block them from accessing its online services.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft has said in a statement.

"The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive from manufacturers, retailers, and the third parties that support them."

The Xbox was launched in 2002 as Microsoft's rival to the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo's GameCube, with the more powerful Xbox 360 going on sale three years later.

The Xbox Live service, which allows gamers to download content as well as engage in multiplayer contests, is central to the console's popularity with fans. More than 34 million Xbox 360 machines have been sold around the world.

- Matthew Moore

Re what i highlighted: DO SOME RESEARCH MATT! ;)

It is, the NAND is modified after the ban comes through. a little routine is run banning the console from XBL and removing the install to hard drive feature and the other things that happen.

Taking a NAND backup before the ban comes through means you can revert and regain the HD functionality but all updates to the dashboard will render your Xbox360 in the same state - banned with no install to HDD

Forgive my ignorance but is the NAND unique to each console? If so, could you get a clean pre-ban dump and patch it to work with appropriate rev. of console?

In any case, I think this would be a handy short-term solution for people not concerned with Live play - you can be damn sure that any updates to the dashboard required to play new games will be facilitated by a work-around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leynad

Hello

Ok, here's a question, just to see if i understand this whole mess once and for all:

"How to continue using a modded console, get achievements and keep them in a legit console. "

Here's the scenario:
    -You get One NEW console, that you never use online, and mod it, (so it's never been banned because it never got the new update).

-You get a second NEW console and use this one on xbox live (if you want) completely legit, unmodded.

- Now You can technically switch back and forth between consoles without any problem, because the modded console is not banned, or ever connected, or has the new MS update (so the data shouldnt be corrupted). Correct?

-And you can get achievements on the offline console and then move it via a memory unit without any problem, because the modded unit wasnt banned, and you're achievement and saves should be no problem. It's just like if you suddenly disconnected the legit console and played offline for a bit, then came back online. Ad the games that require the new dashboard, will have it already in the disc, so you never truly have to connect the modded console online.

NOTE: Can MS determine if the achievements (or saves) were made with a modded console (even if it was offline), at the moment of passing the profile to the legit console and connecting it to Live?

Thanks, hopefully i havent irritated anyone.
    It seems like a pricey solution, but one that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

leynad wrote: »
    Hello

Ok, here's a question, just to see if i understand this whole mess once and for all:

"How to continue using a modded console, get achievements and keep them in a legit console. "

Here's the scenario:
    -You get One NEW console, that you never use online, and mod it, (so it's never been banned because it never got the new update).

-You get a second NEW console and use this one on xbox live (if you want) completely legit, unmodded.

- Now You can technically switch back and forth between consoles without any problem, because the modded console is not banned, or ever connected, or has the new MS update (so the data shouldnt be corrupted). Correct?

-And you can get achievements on the offline console and then move it via a memory unit without any problem, because the modded unit wasnt banned, and you're achievement and saves should be no problem. It's just like if you suddenly disconnected the legit console and played offline for a bit, then came back online. Ad the games that require the new dashboard, will have it already in the disc, so you never truly have to connect the modded console online.

NOTE: Can MS determine if the achievements (or saves) were made with a modded console (even if it was offline), at the moment of passing the profile to the legit console and connecting it to Live?

LOL looks you love your cheevos as much as I do :p

I'm in the same situation, I did test earlier in the week and was OK , but after reading many horror stories about folks who thought they were in the clear only to be banned later, I be leaving mine off line permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Hello

Here's the scenario:

This is exactly what i do. My launch console got the RROD last year. I bought a new console to replace it. I finally got around to repairing and flashing it. Keep my profile on a memory card and just switch between them.

They could theoretically ban you account, no one knows how much they know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Good move by MS. Maybe they should have permanently bricked these consoles, even for offline play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

JDxtra wrote: »
    Good move by MS. Maybe they should have permanently bricked these consoles, even for offline play!

Whats your problem JDxtra? I just read your thread there which Kinetic locked. Does the thought of people modifying their consoles bother you? Does the thought of me playing Super Mario World on my Wii keep you awake at night?

Please dont post here if you've nothing constructive to say, Im following this thread very closely, as Im sure are many others. I'd hate to see it locked because some idiot has a childish issue about the subject.

Ive no interest in mustard, in fact I hate it. You dont see me posting crap in the mustard forum.

As Kinetic suggested, if you have an issue with Boards.ie's fora selection, please visit the feedback forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

EnterNow wrote: »
    Please dont post here if you've nothing constructive to say

Please don't back seat moderate. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Please don't back seat moderate. Thanks.

No offence intended Kinetic, its just people like that get my goat up. Wont happen again.

-And you can get achievements on the offline console and then move it via a memory unit without any problem, because the modded unit wasnt banned, and you're achievement and saves should be no problem...

When new games come out that require a dashboard upgrade, and you allow them to do so on your flashed console, you will be corrupting your profile and messing up your achievements. There's something about it a page or two back in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

When new games come out that require a dashboard upgrade, and you allow them to do so on your flashed console, you will be corrupting your profile and messing up your achievements. There's something about it a page or two back in this thread.

If there is then it's not true, at present no known dashboard update can ban a console, the only way to get banned (and lose the HD install and corrupt profiles) is to connect to Live.

It's pure speculation that some future dashboard update could do what the current live checks do, until then 2 Xbox (both UNBANNED) one offline (flashed), one online and a mem-card seems to work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've re-read over the thread and a few things need to be pointed out.

This forum is for discussion on how to modify your console. It is not a place for discussion on how to avoid being banned or where to get ISOs etc.

Forgive my ignorance but is the NAND unique to each console? If so, could you get a clean pre-ban dump and patch it to work with appropriate rev. of console?

In any case, I think this would be a handy short-term solution for people not concerned with Live play - you can be damn sure that any updates to the dashboard required to play new games will be facilitated by a work-around.

Yes, the NAND is unique to each console. From what I have read if you did not have a NAND dump before your banning, you have no hope unless you have a RRoD unbanned xbox and wish to try soldering on the NAND and CPU from that RRoD xbox to your banned one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leynad

Ok, thanks for confirming about the two-xbox-theory.

I don't know if i should do it, still... Kind of scared they'll still find out somehow that i'm using an offline flashed xbox, and ban my account, or the new legit console.

I wonder if they can somehow know about it through your online legit console? Perhaps some little code or something in the achievements, or log info, etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If your console is offline and does not use "XBox Live" then you are not breaking the EULA {which is NOT legal} and there is NO WAY for M$ to find out. Unless you connect to "XBox Live" later or return it to them for repair.

Ok, thanks for confirming about the two-xbox-theory.

I don't know if i should do it, still... Kind of scared they'll still find out somehow that i'm using an offline flashed xbox, and ban my account, or the new legit console.

I wonder if they can somehow know about it through your online legit console? Perhaps some little code or something in the achievements, or log info, etc.?

JDxtra wrote: »

I would imagine MS bricking the consoles would be illegal as they would be damaging someones property

Btw, hows the view from your high horse, in your ivory tower? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    If your console is offline and does not use "XBox Live" then you are not breaking the EULA {which is NOT legal} and there is NO WAY for M$ to find out. Unless you connect to "XBox Live" later or return it to them for repair.

well just to point out my xbox was flashed and had the warrenty sticker removed and I got it repaired off them
    they replaced the cd drive on it even though it was just the mobo was the problem

I would imagine MS bricking the consoles would be illegal as they would be damaging someones property

Would this not apply then to them disabling Hard Drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Lenny wrote: »
    well just to point out my xbox was flashed and had the warrenty sticker removed and I got it repaired off them
    they replaced the cd drive on it even though it was just the mobo was the problem

They would have to replace the drive, or at least flash it. Otherwise the key on the drive wouldn't match the motherboard.

Would this not apply then to them disabling Hard Drives?

Disabling hard drives?

Do you mean not letting you install to the HD? Its not really a core function of the xbox, your xbox can still preform the task it was bought for with out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

has this popped up yet?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=695673

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=696317

a quick read - if you have the NXE update yer ****ed for now but if you dont there's a chance you can do the above links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

kaimera wrote: »
    has this popped up yet?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=695673

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=696317

a quick read - if you have the NXE update yer ****ed for now but if you dont there's a chance you can do the above links

you can have the newest update or not, this is not important. But you HAVE TO have CPU key of the console that you want to unban. And to get the CPU key the xbox have to run Xell which is not possible after August09 update.

If you got CPU key before the update you're grand and can unban the xbox even if its running all the newest updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

docentore wrote: »
    you can have the newest update or not, this is not important. But you HAVE TO have CPU key of the console that you want to unban. And to get the CPU key the xbox have to run Xell which is not possible after August09 update.

If you got CPU key before the update you're grand and can unban the xbox even if its running all the newest updates.
    yes, sorry it was a quick read over the posts I did :)

I meant if you have the NXE you wont be able to get the CPU key

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    yes, sorry it was a quick read over the posts I did :)

I meant if you have the NXE you wont be able to get the CPU key

No, if you have NXE with the August 2009 update you cannot get teh CPU key.

NXE has been out a while, and if you have NXE without that update it is still possible to use the JTAG hack to run Xell and get the CPU key

Advertisement