Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to Meteor

• 30-10-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Just after buying a phone in in Meteor.
    Give the clerk my 087 no and he said I should be turned to the Meteor Network in the next hour or so.

My 087 Phone is now down with No Coverage, as I know should happen.

But, on the new headset, what sim card should go into the phone?
    A Meteor Sim has come as part of the Phone Pack, but its registered to a Meteor number. I put it into my phone, and its operating as an 085 number.

How do I get it to work using my 087 [Vodafone] number?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The new meteor sim will be your 087 number

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Davy wrote: »
    The new meteor sim will be your 087 number

So why when I ring off it, is an 085 number coming up on the recieving screen?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Well one thing is none of this SHOULD matter, some of it is probably folklore, but some of it is probably true.

Best practice is to shut off both phones before the actual port happens. Then turn on the Meteor phone after the port has happened.

It is very unlikely the Meteor phone will work with the Voda number until you do a power on/off cycle. It's probably a good idea to get someone to send a text to the 087 number too, to force something to happen.

Basically phones and networks tend to presume that things are as they were until a "crisis" forces a rethink.

That crisis could be "I think I'm 085xxxxx and I know I'm on your network" causing a reply "ah, but you're 087xxxxxx now". Additionally the friends' text will cause another crisis when Vodafone rejects it.

It's only when one of these crises happens that things like "has he ported?" get asked by the computer system.

Leave the Meteor SIM in your Meteor phone.
    After the port has bitten, your Meteor number will be extinguished and that SIM will respond to the Voda number.

Your Voda SIM, at this stage will never work again. Throw it out.

Despite what the clerk said, ports can take 13 hours at least to happen. That happened with a friend of mine.

During part of that process he had no phone number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Turn you phone (with Meteor SIM) off and on again. Does 087 number show up now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Porting is finished now for the evening. it should complete tomorrow. If it hasn't good through by 10am call meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

if you've no service on your voda sim it has already ported to meteor. call them with the serial number of the meteor sim card to put the 087 number on the new meteor sim.

Advertisement