Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router on the fritz?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with the family router (Linksys WRT54Gv3.1) that seems to have only popped up in the last few days or so. Basically, we experience massively high pings and lots of jitter, really annoying as my father tends to use VOIP a lot for business and I do a bit of online gaming.

Anyway, I've deduced that the problem is coming from the router. We have one desktop connected by ethernet and 4 PCs that use the wifi frequently. Pings over the wifi can be in the region of 1000ms (even when i'm sitting next to the router), and the desktop usually around the same. Bypassing the router, they drop to around 30ms max and overall the ISP connection is pretty good. The bandwidth itself is fine, even through the router.

Now I've upgraded the firmware on it, changed all the security settings (to eliminate the possibility of someone hacking) and tried all the different channels offered by the wifi to see if it's because of interference, but all to no avail. The same thing happens on every PC in the house regardless of usage patterns.

The only thing unusual that took place was that I installed a new wifi PCI card in my desktop last night. However, i can't see how this could be causing anything as at the moment the my PC is shut down and it's still the same situation here.

Anyone got any ideas that may save me having to buy a new router?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

you try a hard reset?

then try with no security, if the wired desktop still has high pings then the router could be buggered i'm afraid..

wrt54g's are extremely hackable routers, just type it into google and any amount of sites will show how to tweek mostly all of their settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hey, Thanks for the response to this.

Fixed it a couple of weeks ago. Turns out one of the PCs had an app installed (livedrive online backup trial software) that was constantly hogging the upload bandwidth without our knowledge (we had already disabled it using it's own control panel :mad:) and thus throttling the network. Uninstalling it made the problem go away...

Advertisement