Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychosis and talking therapies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

In the spirit of giving a heads up for such things, if social anxiety floats your boat instead then Eoin Stephens is giving a talk on using CBT to help manage it at the Red Cow hotel Wed 4th 8-9pm:
    http://www.pcicollege.ie/index.cfm?area=content&action=contentdetailselect&menuid=227&MainNavigationMenuID=1&contentid=476&VersionCount=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just on that point Hotspur I think that maybe we should be doing a bit more of this here, especially the free ones. Whilst I'm not a fan of CBT I have met Eoin a few times and would acknowledge that he knows his stuff in his own area and I even met him at a training day on Psychoanalysis and Addiction another time, so like a good therapist he likes to keep aware of what other modalities have to say on things. And of course he was the main driving force around the treatment of Sexual Addiction in Ireland.

Unfortunately they are on the same night and as one of the speakers at St Pats is a APPI member that will be the one for me. I think we could use this as a good resourse for the free ones inanyway, I have issues about people trying to get clients on this forum and the same would go where there is a fee to be paid in order to attend. But that is merely my own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Who has been touting for clients on this board?
    I don't see the problem in paying to attend a lecture if it's by someone highly regarded. Sure most people make a donation to Aware before they go into the St Pat's lectures..

eth0_ wrote: »
    Who has been touting for clients on this board?
    I don't see the problem in paying to attend a lecture if it's by someone highly regarded. Sure most people make a donation to Aware before they go into the St Pat's lectures..

Not so much with the training side of things Eth0, but I had one or two suspicions about recommendations for therapists in the past and there was a few blatant examples of it on the introduce yourself thread. It's just a personal thing with me that I would hate to see this place becoming a easy advertisment. I reported one case to the mods. Students offering low cost services I can understand, but I would hate to see people padding their private work here. Just my thoughts though.

It depends at the last free lecture I went to I was given an excellent meal, though that was the Pirory as they are setting up here, so they are setting the scene for referrals, quite the opposite to organisations like shine. However, take Eoin's lecture which I'm sure will be excellent but it will also be emphasising PCI, so there is never a free lunch so to speak. Well in a lot of cases in anyway. Though that doesn't mean that I personally don't think it should be metioned here, I sure it could benefit some people.

Odysseus wrote: »

It depends at the last free lecture I went to I was given an excellent meal, though that was the Pirory as they are setting up here, so they are setting the scene for referrals, quite the opposite to organisations like shine.

Really? Where are they opening a clinic?

• Advertisement

There will be one out by Maynooth due to be opened within 12 month, this will be followed by another down the south location unspecificed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thats a great idea,it would be really helpful!! There doesnt seem to be somewhere to go where information about seminars and lectures can be accessed in one place. Ive gone to some really good seminars recently but none were advertised very well,it was word of mouth kind of thing!!!

Yeah you're right.
    Mods - maybe we could have a sticky to announce upcoming public lectures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

but I had one or two suspicions about recommendations for therapists in the past and there was a few blatant examples of it on the introduce yourself thread. It's just a personal thing with me that I would hate to see this place becoming a easy advertisment.

I think it's against the forum rules and I'm surprised that those posts haven't been deleted.

Like the health professionals forum, I do not believe that individual counsellors/therapists should be recommended. We can point to accrediting organisations, but individual recommendations should be avoided to reduce the possibility of people using this forum to advertise themselves.

But I do think we can promote awareness of open days/public talks. If they are free - and not a promotional stunt!

I think it's against the forum rules and I'm surprised that those posts haven't been deleted.

Like the health professionals forum, I do not believe that individual counsellors/therapists should be recommended. We can point to accrediting organisations, but individual recommendations should be avoided to reduce the possibility of people using this forum to advertise themselves.

But I do think we can promote awareness of open days/public talks. If they are free - and not a promotional stunt!

Whilst I fully agree with you Julius, a stcking point for me would be talks where there is a minimun fee, for example one of my bodies runs a series of talks each year, about 20e ago. Mostly it is attended by therapists in that area or students, this I see as a small fee and personally would have no problems with those here. What are your own thought on such an example?

My issuse with be people trying to publish what we will call training days or weekends which I would see as something different.

By the way I attended the psychosis and talking therapies, and personally would like that hour of my life back. It was fine for the general public, and I suppose that's what it was aimed at and alot of people would have benefited for it. I was just a tad dissapointed.

• Advertisement

Whilst I fully agree with you Julius, a stcking point for me would be talks where there is a minimun fee, for example one of my bodies runs a series of talks each year, about 20e ago. Mostly it is attended by therapists in that area or students, this I see as a small fee and personally would have no problems with those here. What are your own thought on such an example?

My issuse with be people trying to publish what we will call training days or weekends which I would see as something different.

By the way I attended the psychosis and talking therapies, and personally would like that hour of my life back. It was fine for the general public, and I suppose that's what it was aimed at and alot of people would have benefited for it. I was just a tad dissapointed.

Hi Odysseus, I suppose I think the training days through our organisations are publicised to practicing therapists and aren't usually for the general public -ie they assume a certain amount of basic knowledge. In any case, I, like most other professional therapists, would generally have signed up to the mailing lists of people who organise courses in my particular field. Also, a lot of the training days/weekends for which a charge is made may sometimes be run more for profit than enlightenment, if I am to be polite about it. And those that are reputable will have their own ways of advertising them, so I wouldn't be encouraging that on boards.

So I think the boards psychology forum would be more useful for talks of interest to the public, run usually by self-help organisation such as Aware or Ocdireland. 'And that the 'recommend a therapist' thread not recommend individuals, but take its ethics from the Health Professionals and only list accrediting organisations. best, JC

(I think I'll step back now in case anyone suggests moderatorship to me! :o)

In reponse to Ethos post number 4Post 11...........

As regards your second point, there's a big difference between 'donations gratefully accepted' and 'fee required'!

Hi Odysseus, I suppose I think the training days through our organisations are publicised to practicing therapists and aren't usually for the general public -ie they assume a certain amount of basic knowledge. In any case, I, like most other professional therapists, would generally have signed up to the mailing lists of people who organise courses in my particular field. Also, a lot of the training days/weekends for which a charge is made may sometimes be run more for profit than enlightenment, if I am to be polite about it. And those that are reputable will have their own ways of advertising them, so I wouldn't be encouraging that on boards.

So I think the boards psychology forum would be more useful for talks of interest to the public, run usually by self-help organisation such as Aware or Ocdireland. 'And that the 'recommend a therapist' thread not recommend individuals, but take its ethics from the Health Professionals and only list accrediting organisations. best, JC

(I think I'll step back now in case anyone suggests moderatorship to me! :o)

I don't think anyone here could be accused of that [I hope]. I fully agree with the recommendations bit.

The reason I was asking about the ones which are specific talks that may require a small fee is for two reasons. Firstly students who we get alot of here maybe interested in them. Secondly I like youself am generally area of what happening in my area, but if there was a short talk on on a different modality of treatment occurring I would generally be unaware of it, though I may be interested in attending. As oppossed to a training day or similar.

However, all we are doing here is having a discussion about how we as members of this forum and professionals can respond to some of the general questions that arise here. So its more of a ethical question than backseat modding [once again I think:)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Exactly my experience of the social anxiety and CBT one.

You're a member of IAAAC, do you know when their one day training on gambling addiction is on? Someone mentioned it to me because I would be interested, I'm not a member but I'd join as an associate member for it. Its an area I've been studying for years.

hotspur wrote: »

You're a member of IAAAC, do you know when their one day training on gambling addiction is on? Someone mentioned it to me because I would be interested, I'm not a member but I'd join as an associate member for it. Its an area I've been studying for years.

Sh!t sorry mate I binned it, I think is on around March or April. Its an extra 20e if you not a member, so I don't know if that would make it would while joining. Anyway, it will be easy enough for me to get the dates for you and I'll pm to you. Even though we are talking about it now, its that type of stuff I would not like to see being promoted here.

There is a difference between someone asking a question about such a day [epecially a regular contributor], which I think is fair enough and the forum getting spammed out of it. Hpoe that makes sense, anyway I'll get the info for you in a few days.

That's the thing, it's easy to highlight stuff for the general public, but what about people looking for something a tad more indept. Its a difficult one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 policymaker

In the spirit of giving a heads up for such things, if social anxiety floats your boat instead then Eoin Stephens is giving a talk on using CBT to help manage it at the Red Cow hotel Wed 4th 8-9pm:
    http://www.pcicollege.ie/index.cfm?area=content&action=contentdetailselect&menuid=227&MainNavigationMenuID=1&contentid=476&VersionCount=0

CBT is rather like dog training!

Just to add on to this.

Eoin Stephen's [PCI] is giving a free talk on "Developing Resilience" in the Red Cow on the 2nd Dec. @ 20.00 for anyone interested. PCI are also offering a free personal development workshop on the 8th Dec no fee, but you have to pre-register deatails at
    http://www.pcicollege.ie/Upload/Upload/File/Application%20Forms/Personal%20Development/Life%20Changes%20in%20Transitional%20Times-%208%20December%2009.pdf

They might be of interest to some here.

Are you sure you have the right details? 10pm seems very late for a talk..and that PDF is for a different topic and a different venue.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Are you sure you have the right details? 10pm seems very late for a talk..and that PDF is for a different topic and a different venue.

Good catch [damn typos]its 20.00 for the talk at the Red Cow on the 2nd Dec, the pdf is for the workshop the following week the 8th Dec and it at a different location.

• Advertisement

Just got another notice on the talk in the Red Cow its now on the 9th Dec. @ 20.00-21.00 hrs. It nice to know I'm not the only making typos. So Eoin Stephens talk in on the 09/12/09 at 20.00 in the Red Cow for anyone interested. The workshop remains unchanged AFAIK

Advertisement