Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm pistol Licence Denied x 2

Options
  • 30-10-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

hi all, just to let you all know, 2 buddies have had their 9mm licences revoked in cork, as far as i can tell nearly if not all 9mm pistols in the fermoy area and macroom/bandon areas are revoked. They Received letters today in post from 2 different supers 2 different areas. It's not looking good. Anyone out there know of same in the cork area?
    I still have not received any licence or letter for my 9mm, 2 rifles and 1 shotgun. I am, as most out there unsure of what to do come monday, oh ya, by the way, buddie no 2 had the ert call to him at 07.50am 4 days ago checking his premises in cork. SCARY STUFF.
    Buddie no 1 was called in by chief super to bandon for a grilling last week, no time wasted here, letter 4 days later, good luck no more pistol, this to an ex army guy with loads of experience in weapons, shoots deer with me each season etc, no previous history with garda, ie no criminal file. Looks like coming down hard on the 9's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

As a matter of interest .....

Would these buddies be regular attendees of their or other pistol clubs?
    buddie no 2 had the ert call to him
    Do you mean armed gardai came to check his safe and alarm ?? Sounds a bit iffy.
    You would expect the CPO to do that
    this to an ex army guy with loads of experience in weapons, shoots deer with me each season etc, no previous history with garda, ie no criminal file
    None of which would do him any good looking for a license for a pistol.

(In the civilian world we call them firearms)

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bananaman wrote: »
    As a matter of interest .....

Would these buddies be regular attendees of their or other pistol clubs?

Do you mean armed gardai came to check his safe and alarm ?? Sounds a bit iffy.
    You would expect the CPO to do that

None of which would do him any good looking for a license for a pistol.

(In the civilian world we call them firearms)

B'Man

My experience begs to differ. I know for a fact rural rifle owners who have been granted/renewed licences purely on the fact that the issuing officer is a local townie or a related member. If you believe otherwise you are niave(sp ?).

Whether or not a potential licencee has been a member of any armed forces should defo be taken into consideration if they can show that they left said forces in good character. It indictes a profieciency in firearms that I know i never had when i got my first licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Going on previous experience with the Macroom/Bandon district, The Super in Macroom is anti handgun, it was like drawing blood from a stone to get a .22 pistol let alone any centerfire. As for the Fermoy area, I know of one shooter who has recieved a cf licence...albeit a .38 and not a 9mm.

Heckler wrote: »
    I know for a fact rural rifle owners who have been granted/renewed licences purely on the fact that the issuing officer is a local townie or a related member. If you believe otherwise you are niave(sp ?).

We are talking about pistol licenses - no?

Doesn't matter 'who you know' - you have to be a member of a club - and you have to attend that club - that is 'why' you were given the license.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Bananaman wrote: »
    We are talking about pistol licenses - no?

Doesn't matter 'who you know' - you have to be a member of a club - and you have to attend that club - that is 'why' you were given the license.

B'Man

maybe so for pistols B,man but not for rifles-lad up here has a 243, no club membership of any kind, no deer hunting permit, no farmers signatures-nada!!-although his two brothers in law are gardai:rolleyes:-it still goes on!:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

maybe so for pistols B,man but not for rifles-lad up here has a 243, no club membership of any kind, no deer hunting permit, no farmers signatures-nada!!-although his two brothers in law are gardai:rolleyes:-it still goes on!:eek::D

i would keep that as a ace up your sleeve, just in case you get hassle .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

We're still stuck with geographically based decisions it seems, it all comes down to where you live and the attitude of your local Chief Super.

jwshooter wrote: »
    i would keep that as a ace up your sleeve, just in case you get hassle .

I had that in the back of my mind JW, if they had got to outta hand this year I would have had to have reeled them in a bit with it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

hia all, yep, both were and still are members of 2 different gun / Pistol / rifles clubs / ranges, 1 in co kerry 1 in co limerick, i'm sure you all know the ranges, anyway, phoned garda today worried about my licences for same, he informed me that i did not need to hand up my 4 firearms as i have filled out the forms and there was another 3 month extention on the licences. Did anyone else get the same reply? talking to a dealer today he advised me to hand over all firearms till licence came thru, garda said not to bother and i can still carry and use said firearms. Mmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Alright Medicman! I was talking to my FO yesterday, I asked him should I hand my firearm into a dealer?
    He assured me there was no need, that it was a fault with the system and that I wasnt going to get any visits over possessing an unlicensed firearm!

I'm kind of sorry I didnt get it in writing but my FO is A1 and didnt feel the need.

I asked him about the Chief Super, he said as far as he knows that once it has been passed by your super that there shouldnt be a problem:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thing is Murph, if some other garda knocks on your door at four am, it's your door he's knocking on, not the FO's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sparks wrote: »
    Thing is Murph, if some other garda knocks on your door at four am, it's your door he's knocking on, not the FO's...

I'm sorry Sparks, I just cant see that happening, I mean how many others are there in the same situation? Are they gonna call around to all of us one by one?

What about yourself, have'nt you got a restricted item? If so, any joy with the new license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

spoke to nargc they told me once you have applied for your new licences you dont have to worry and can use your firearms as normal it the garda mess not your fault and they are well aware of it so dont panic also rang local station as Im going hunting in the morn and the garda I spoke to confirmed that once my application was been processed I would have noting to worry about.I have been told by my fo that my pistol should go through as nobody has any objections belive it when I have cert in hand from what Im hearing but I will not lie down and give up I will fight by any legal means to keep it

Murph, none of my stuff is restricted, but as of 0000h tonight, it's all unlicenced as well.
    I'm not saying there'll be a knock on the door at 0300h, by the way - I'm just saying that it's all well and good for the FO to tell you one thing in the station over a friendly mug of tea, but it's a different kettle of excrement when some fresh-faced Garda two weeks from templemore stops you at a traffic stop on your way back from the range and you with no licence on you. The FO is not going to stick his head over the parapet at that point and say it was allright, that you had his permission - especially when the law says he can't give that permission.

meath, the same observation holds for the NARGC. Yes, ethically, it's the Gardai's mess (and the Ministers for pushing this through this year instead of next year when it'd be more fully tested). But legally, it's still your rear end on the bench in the cell if it all goes pear-shaped at a traffic stop. Des will not be sitting beside you with a nice garda outside holding onto his belt and laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ummm..The fact that IF you were/are arrested for having an "unliscensed firearm" isnt it likely they will run you thru the system with yourPULSE number,address etc ,will show that you are in "the system"[hopefully], have or had a liscensed gun and that they know themselves and admit that the situation is a SNAFU at the moment.Personally I couldnt see anyone wanting to take this to a higher level.After all,YOU have done your lawful bit of application etc of which the proof is to be found in paper or computor.You havent been refused,[of which sofar seems to be deliverd in writing].Which would put the onus on you then to comply with handing your guns to a dealer or Gardai.
    So you are really in a limbo situation.It's sort of the same situation of you have paid your car tax,but there is a postal strike which delays delivery of your post with the tax disc.If you are stopped by the Gardai and it is public knowledge that there is a strike,this would be accepted logically as good reason for not having a tax disc.Especially if you can prove that you paid for it,by say, a CCard statement. Boils down to this at the moment.....Are you responsible for the actions of a 3rd party of which you have no control???:confused: I'm not saying that this is the 100% cure all situation.BUT in applying the law logic must be used by the officer as well.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    It's sort of the same situation of you have paid your car tax,but there is a postal strike which delays delivery of your post with the tax disc.If you are stopped by the Gardai and it is public knowledge that there is a strike,this would be accepted logically as good reason for not having a tax disc.Especially if you can prove that you paid for it,by say, a CCard statement.
    You'd best hope it's nothing like that situation, because I found myself in that situation earlier this year. Sent off the forms and paid the money for the tax disc, saw it all go through, figured it'd arrive in the post and got back to work and put it out of my mind. Some months later, I'm stopped at a traffic checkpoint and that's the point where the Gardai helped me to realise the disc had never arrived in the post and I'd just not noticed. They exercised their discretion since we could literally see my house from the stop, I went home, checked the money had gone out (which it had), and spent the next week calling everyone from here to shannon, learning the last disc hadn't gone to the right address, or arrived at the wrong address, that noone knew what my local tax office or garda station was as I was moving house at the time and noone knew should I go to the station I was at when the disc was issued or the one I was at now or head office itself - and in the end I had to use the Irish solution of going "feic it", walking into the new local and acting like there was no worry over where to go and sorting it out that way. Oh, and I got charged for a replacement disc as well.

Now, the Gardai at the traffic stop, it transpired, were perfectly legally entitled to confiscate my car if they'd wanted to. Because apparently the offence is not displaying your disc, rather than not paying for it. And even if the tax office stuffs it up, you pay for a replacement disc. And noone seems to know how to fix it when the process goes off the rails like it did for me this time.

Lesson learnt - the system is set up so that if something goes wrong, it's your fault. And since the system makes the rules, be certain only that the system won't be the one out of pocket if there's a screw-up :(

If someone relies on the "everyone knows the system's buggered up this year" defence, they may find their lives getting more interesting than is conducive to a quiet life :(

So Indeed they would have been Sparks,but again the logic and discretion was not to.Just from a point of legality..If the Gardai take your car,and crash it .Who is legally responsible??You or them??

So your solution is for all of us that are still in limbo??
    Hand in the stuff Monday??THAT will be intresting to execute paperwork wise,with dealers who will be willing to take on the stuff or have the facilities to store them.??And with the Gardai who are overworked with the system at the moment.Us all pitching up at our stations to hand in stuff should be intresting.Where will they store it all??Dont ask the army either.Got it on good authorithy,they want to get rid of the stuff still from 1972 back to its original owners or next of kin,as it is a PITA knocking around various barracks.LAST thing they want...
    Or since the shooting season starts today...Not go shooting for the year???Think 99.9% of the hunters will tell you what to do on that one..
    Are you going you give up paper punching for the forseeable future and put your stuff in a dealer???
    Maybe I'm missing somthing here
    ,but this is a multiple major FUKup not a single case.How is this going to be sorted??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Are you going you give up paper punching for the forseeable future and put your stuff in a dealer?
    My stuff's already in the dealer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

As a matter of interest did anyone here ever have a renewal by 1st August? I've never had a renewal before mid September, sometimes haven't even applied till September. I for one will not panic unless the Guards tell me to.

Two every year since 2001/2, three every year since 2006 sfakiaman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Just remember that this tim they are not renewals but new applications. Small difference that could mean big trouble.

All my stuff went in last night.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

.... but it's a different kettle of excrement when some fresh-faced Garda two weeks from templemore stops you at a traffic stop on your way back from the range and you with no licence on you. ......

Not much point going to the rnage withut a license - unless you're looking for some 'friendly mugs of tea'

B'Man

sfakiaman wrote: »
    As a matter of interest did anyone here ever have a renewal by 1st August? I've never had a renewal before mid September, sometimes haven't even applied till September. I for one will not panic unless the Guards tell me to.

I cant for the life of me understand what all this scaremongering is about!-to even hint that the ERU are going to be coming to your door is laughable to say the least , I live in a town of about 5000 people and as a long time shooter have seen what goes on every year during licencing time, the gardai are chasing half the folks till halloween every year cos they dont bother their ass going to the barracks to pay their licence!-for a long number of years I would spend 3 weeks in the summer in germany, so every year I would go down to the station to offer my licence payments a couple of days early and would be turned away, I would be telling them im out of the country for three weeks and would be told it will be grand till you come back-thats the way this country works!!

Theres not a gardai in Ireland interested in your firearm if the licence or extension is up-so lets all calm down and go with the flow..the only people knocking on doors this weekend will be saying "trick or treat":D

Plus one Fox!
    Serious chill pills required here betimes.Remember the scare of re importing your gun and it could be only done by a dealer saga in August? Funnily enough a bunch of pistol shooters went to Phillipsburg in Germany shortly thereafter...And seemingly all came home with no bother either..:eek: Least I havent heard of anyone having any problems.
    So lets cut this ERU showing up at the door BS too.:mad:The first people to show would be normal unarmed Gardai with paperwork or a warrent.If you showed them off with a loaded gun ,start barricading yourself in,take the missus and kids hostage ,or boot them out of the house, and a seige starts THEN it is ERU response time!!!Abbylara and Galway would bear this out.

Two every year since 2001/2, three every year since 2006 sfakiaman.

you must have a very efficient station sparks, the usual story every year if you went to the barracks on the 1 st was" the book hasnt been sent down yet, leave it another week"-i have never been able to pay mines when they were due , and im at it since 1977:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

you must have a very efficient station sparks, the usual story every year if you went to the barracks on the 1 st was" the book hasnt been sent down yet, leave it another week"-i have never been able to pay mines when they were due , and im at it since 1977:rolleyes:
    Not far behind you foxshooter, but I would point out that in the days of the 'green book', you could get your renewal before the 31st July :)

I used to be first in the queue on 1st August as I would be heading to Bisley in the 2nd/3rd week of August, so had to have an up to date licence and European Firearms Pass before I left.

Since the advent of PULSE invariably I'd have it just in time. :rolleyes:

rrpc wrote: »
    Not far behind you foxshooter, but I would point out that in the days of the 'green book', you could get your renewal before the 31st July :)

I used to be first in the queue on 1st August as I would be heading to Bisley in the 2nd/3rd week of August, so had to have an up to date licence and European Firearms Pass before I left.

Since the advent of PULSE invariably I'd have it just in time. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected then so:o:D-seriously though in our area , you had to learn to be complacent when trying to relicence your firearms it could take a few trips:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

sfakiaman wrote: »

Yes, every year, and I'm lucky this year I have my licences since last week.

Advertisement