Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for the future

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Had reason yesterday to email Charlie Flanagan about friend of mine who was refused a renewal for a centerfire pistol, who I believed had very good reason for keeping. I asked him to bring it up with Minister of Injustice

The reply, reading between the lines, was I (F.G.) done my bit for you before so do not bother me anymore. (quote from reply below)

I did raise the matter in the course of the Dail debate but to no avail. Perhaps your local Fianna Fail TD would be better placed to explain the situation to you.

Does not bode well for the future, if F.G. get in.:eek:

VOTE LABOUR

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Sorry, but what do you expect from the likes of Enda Kenny, Joan Burton, and their Ilk?:rolleyes:
    Yeah, and Labour would be another great alternative!:eek:
    Might as well vote for the Greens, ladies and gentlemen!:rolleyes::eek:

There's no election called - so 'course they (i.e. all our "glorious leaders": FF, FG, LB, GR, SF, SWP, and the PD (singular) etc.) couldn't give a monkeys about anyone elses situation - shooting, economic, social, or anything - They're far too worried about milking expenses out of our hard-earned and overpaid taxes!

Why would you be surprised that a politician (of any shade) doesn't have the courtesy to treat your request with the respect and consideration you as a constituent would / should expect?:(

Let's not be naive here:D

We should have more than a good idea what makes these politicians tick by now - Money, Power, Expenses, and lording it over the good citizens of this Republic.

That's my rant for now - and Tony, you have my sympathy for having taken the time to contact your "public representative" and to have your request thrown back at you!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Its hard to have to say this but you might just as well have emailed Colm & Jim Jim. You'd probably get a more positive response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

in all fairness i did see the debate in the dail when both charlie flanagan and pat rabbitte did take AHern to task over his needless destruction of a shooting sport . it was clear that ahern didn't and wouldn't be giving an inch of ground on the subject of centrefire pistols fullstop .

and also it was deasy of F.G. who was the one who kicked up a fuss over public ownership of centrefire pistols and large calibre rifles in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

VOTE LABOUR

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

VOTE LABOUR

+1

Best of a bad lot.

Watched Pat Rabbitt in the Dail and he did try to intervene on our behalf. Not saying that Labour would be a godsend for us but sometimes just changing the Muppets can mean a better show ~!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Always stick by the nappy rule:

You should change governments as often as you change nappies and for the same reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, and a similar rule holds for power - it's like the contents of nappies. Spread it over a wide area and you can grow great crops, gather it all in one place and nothing grows and everything stinks to high heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The thing I don't understand, and for me it holds true in other areas too is this. Don't vote for anyone else besides the crowd that are in now because they got the expierence.

Right. Look where that has landed us.

Labour, well, they're going to need either FG or FF to get in, sorry, but they will.

Who's party is Dermo in? Where has he landed us?

Yes, I know Jackass Deasey is in FG and I seriously can't stand him, but in this case I'd rather the devil I don't know than them that we do.

johngalway wrote: »
    The thing I don't understand, and for me it holds true in other areas too is this. Don't vote for anyone else besides the crowd that are in now because they got the expierence.
    No need to get all existential about it ;), just follow the nappy rule and you won't go wrong.

Seriously, we got lots of government changes in the late eighties and early nineties and things picked up. The minute we let the idiots run the asylum, the whole house of cards came crashing down.

People who think they might lose their job tend to be a bit more amenable to doing that job.... properly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe we should adapt what the US does[After we are closer to Boston than Brussels...Except when it suits of course:rolleyes:] That any combination of Govt can only be in term for two terms of office,say max eight years.
    Will prevent anyone getting too comfy with the Mercs and Perks in future.
    Actually give them a time limit to get shifting,if they want to be voted in for a 2nd term.And they will be gone if they are crap after 8 years.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

rrpc wrote: »
    Always stick by the nappy rule:

You should change governments as often as you change nappies and for the same reason...

I was listining to some Mayo man on Matt Cooper one evening. His theory was keep the one crowd in all the time. It saves paying out too many pensions later !

I was listining to some Mayo man on Matt Cooper one evening. His theory was keep the one crowd in all the time. It saves paying out too many pensions later !
    Ahh... so that explains the Flynns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'd save on the pensions, but lose on the expenses...

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Maybe we should adapt what the US does[After we are closer to Boston than Brussels...Except when it suits of course:rolleyes:] That any combination of Govt can only be in term for two terms of office,say max eight years.
    Will prevent anyone getting too comfy with the Mercs and Perks in future.
    Actually give them a time limit to get shifting,if they want to be voted in for a 2nd term.And they will be gone if they are crap after 8 years.:)

Oddly enough I was just thinking similar thoughts today driving about.

rrpc wrote: »
    People who think they might lose their job tend to be a bit more amenable to doing that job.... properly. :rolleyes:

So true. Although it hasn't hit home in the ministerial ranks given the condescension I saw displayed last week at a local meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

rowa wrote: »
    in all fairness i did see the debate in the dail when both charlie flanagan and pat rabbitte did take AHern to task over his needless destruction of a shooting sport . it was clear that ahern didn't and wouldn't be giving an inch of ground on the subject of centrefire pistols fullstop .

and also it was deasy of F.G. who was the one who kicked up a fuss over public ownership of centrefire pistols and large calibre rifles in the first place.

A funny change of tune by Pat Rabbitte so, I met him while canvassing in my local area a few years ago. So I asked my usual vague question which doesn’t show my hand, it goes like this:
    “how do you feel about members of the public having firearms”
    His response:
    “I don’t believe that any member of the public has a need to own a firearm, I see no place for them in society“
    Well I said you won’t be getting my families vote so and explained why, he didn’t get my vote and I gave it to Brian Hayes who supports the shooting community in our local area.

I think we don’t voice our opinion in focused manner, this is the problem. For example 240,000 votes gets a lot of favour anywhere, focused it could effect real change. I’m a good follower, raise the standards and I’ll follow the banner.

Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

P.S. I’ve received four CF pistol license refusals in my household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

We elect representatives to protect or represent our interests in the Dail - all with some false sense that our vote actually can make a difference.

The Party Whip System ensures that your concerns and wishes are irrelevant if not 100% in conjuction with the 'top lads' in the cabinet.

We seen that first hand with the CJB - no matter how many politicans represented our position - the Bould Dermot ignored it and told Pat Carey to silence them come the vote.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

A funny change of tune by Pat Rabbitte so, I met him while canvassing in my local area a few years ago. So I asked my usual vague question which doesn’t show my hand, it goes like this:
    “how do you feel about members of the public having firearms”

Perhaps the question was too vague, or perhaps there has been a change of tune, after enlightening. A non shooter when asked the question will always err on the side of the Joe Public stance, guns = bad. If asked "what is your position on genuine target shooters in an approved club with stringent safety measures holding a firearm after being rigourously vetted by the Gardaí?" what might his response have been..............

Labour, in my exhaustive correspondence has been head and shoulders above the other opposition parties in relation to genuine safe, trained and vetted target shooters. They are our best hope in the future in my opinion, highly regulated firearms policy to allow those with a genuine interest to continue seems to be the tack. This may well be a change of tune, but a different tune it is indeed.

Also, I'm really gutted to hear of your CF refusals, nothing in my post today, I'm waiting for an appointment to see my Chief Super to plead for clemency........

Advertisement