Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A "Where do i put this?" thread

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I hate the fact even with all the areas up at the top there i still have no idea where to put a thread every so often.

Perhaps make a thread and give thread posters the power to move their own thread (or have extra volunteers to move them).

Right now i want to volunteer myself (non boards) but not "region" restricted so can anyone point me in the right direction as a side note.

edited: sorry mix up in wordings i'll put the edited version below

Perhaps make a forum where people can post threads that haven't been "assigned to a forum" where the poster doesn't know where to post it. and give thread posters the power to move their own thread (or have extra volunteers to move them).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So basically you want to be an admin? :confused:

Don't really get what you're saying wolfric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

no... ok you have after hours tv film etc... why not a "temp spot" where posters aren't sure where it goes (as you often see posters posting in wrong sections saying i don't know where to put this). And people can respond saying "it goes wherever". In this forum give original users to move their OWN threads after that.

Where did you get the idea of being an admin from? I'm guessing you were just speed reading key words and not reading the whole thing?

Right now i want to volunteer myself (non boards) but not "region" restricted so can anyone point me in the right direction as a side note.

Basically i want to do volunteer work and wanted to post a thread about it but no idea where to put it. That's pretty much what prompted the idea and i was asking as a side note does anyone know where i'd put such a thread. I just put in the (not boards) in case anyone thought i meant specifically for boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah, OK, now I get it :)

The admin comment was based on the fact that they are the only ones able to move a thread from anywhere on the site.

Mightn't be a bad idea as a forum it it's own right with dedicated mods to move the threads as required - I don't think the vB software has a facility to allow non mods to move threads.

wolfric wrote: »
    Basically i want to do volunteer work and wanted to post a thread about it but no idea where to put it.

Try here maybe:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

nice thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What about posting a question in Newbies & Faq or in Helpdesk to see if there are any forums suited to what you are asking?

A lot of the time new posters post up irrelevant threads in the newbie forum without having a look around on where is best to post it. Other posters will then come onto the thread and tell them where is best suited for the thread.
    It was discussed before about having a mod move the thread themselves, but it was concluded that it was better to nudge the poster in the right direction rather than move it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

WindSock is right, if a newbie / regular is not sure where to put something, the first place they're gonna go is help desk!

It's annoying that the regular joe doesnt have access there as apposed to feedback, but generally the mods/admins are quick enought to reply with the relevant thread.

Also to backup Windsock's point, if you move it for them, they will never learn & giving people access to be able to move thread is a big no no!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Also you know people who don't know where the "where do I put this thread" forum is will start a thread in the wrong place anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Move them all to TCN. I'll give 'em a good home. By which I mean move them to After Hours. Mmm, thread tennis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also you know people who don't know where the "where do I put this thread" forum is will start a thread in the wrong place anyway.

+1

I don't believe that if someone doesn't know where to put a thread that they'll be aware of the "Don't know where to post a thread?"-forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

TBH, if i ever have diffuculty as to the place for a thread i would generally send a pm to one of the mods or cmods for a little guidance before posting.

Advertisement