Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edirol PCR-500 / Complete beginner...

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    Complete MIDI newbie. How can I get sound out of my MIDI controller using a PCR-500 MIDI Keyboard and a PC?
    I have tried Sonar LE (very old version), Reaper and Adobe Audition.
    Do I need to spend lots of money or is there a cheap option that I am completely missing?
    Want to have mutlitrack based MIDI/Audio tracks with basic sounds for classroom context.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

ok, firstly, midi is instructions, not sound.
    you press a key, it sends a message, you pc get the message and passes it to a software sampler or synth. reaper or sonar are your pals here, audition can be controlled with midi but its not an instrument.

i'm not familiar with sonar or reaper but most DAWs are much the same, so assuming you've got the keyboard hooked up by usb and its driver has installed, go to the preferences or midi setting in the DAW (sonar or reaper) look for a midi input option, make sure your keyboard is on the list and activate it. then create a new project, add a midi or instrument track, where it say input, select all, where it says output select a soft synth, you may have to set this up in an "instruments" menu.

one other thing, it sounds like your starting out, so i'll assume you're using the soundcard in your computer, its latency will probably be quite long, so google asio4all, download it and install it, then select it as your sound device in the DAW preferences menu.
    Reaper is the best DAW in your list, so i'd recomend ditching the other two and concentrating on it, unfortunatly when starting out there is some head scratching and manual reading to be done, but forums like this or the reaper user forum should ease the learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Thanks for that Quiggers, good info.
    Is there a free instrument bank software (like Native Instruments) that I can use?
    Thanks,
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

there are plenty, cmPlay comes free with computermusic magazine every month, there is NI kompakt player available to download from their website.
    Wusiks wusikstation is another, there are many more too, have a look on www.kvr.com/get.php its a virtual instrument search engine with links direct to the sites of the creators, there are tons of freebies on there.

Advertisement