Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can't install windows 7.. Need help

• 31-10-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭

well i finally downloaded this onto a DVD... i have vista business SP2 so i'm up to date too..

but it when i try to upgrade to 7 it says i'm running xp and that i can only do the custom install which will delete all my files and programs... anyone have any idea what to do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are you trying to install it while in Vista or have you rebooted and tried to install/upgrade from there using the Win 7 as a boot-up disk as well?

Shot in the dark here, is the setup.exe program running in XP compatibility mode? You may have enabled it for another CD but the registry entry remains and applies to any other file with the same name and location. Check the compatibility tab for setup.exe on the DVD and make sure compatibility mode is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

i've only tried to install it form vista itself... if i wanted to could do a custom install but i would lose all my files and programs... Could you give me any help on ow to use it as a boot up disk.

Copatibility mode is off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

burn it to a cd it will install in better. sometimes doesnt install great from a dvd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cable842 wrote: »
    burn it to a cd it will install in better. sometimes doesnt install great from a dvd

Image too big for a cd. 2.3gig.

• Advertisement

i just find if I was installing anything dvds are the worth too install from.

did you buy windows 7, did it not come on a normal cd ?

what system are yea running at the moment ? spec you running ?

ive done a custom install and a full install on windows 7. I could show yea and help yea out if yea want.

its easy have to say windows 7 is the easyiest to install

i just find if I was installing anything dvds are the worth too install from.

did you buy windows 7, did it not come on a normal cd ?

what system are yea running at the moment ? spec you running ?

I downloaded the file off a microsoft website.. Runnning windows vista business SP2 32 bit and i'm trying to install windows 7 professional 86 bit (32 bit)

According to the upgrade adviser i should be able to upgrade but i can't... once it gets to the compatibility bit, it says i cant go straight from xp to 7!?

ive done a custom install and a full install on windows 7. I could show yea and help yea out if yea want.

its easy have to say windows 7 is the easyiest to install

this is my last option really... i don't want to loss all my files and folders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tok9 wrote: »
    I downloaded the file off a microsoft website.. Runnning windows vista business SP2 32 bit and i'm trying to install windows 7 professional 86 bit (32 bit)

According to the upgrade adviser i should be able to upgrade but i can't... once it gets to the compatibility bit, it says i cant go straight from xp to 7!?

I wasn't able to "upgrade" vista ultimate to win 7 ultimate, it just gave me an error, it may have been the error you were getting, tbh, i didn't bother worrying about it. It's always better to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Just backup all your data and do a clean install of win 7 pro/.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Just boot from the disc on start up, should do the trick.

From where??

when the computer starts up press f12 somthing like that it will bring you to a boot screen and select boot options and change the order that your computer boots.

to 1 boot from cd drive 2 boot from hard drive.

but yea you have to do a fresh install thats means back up everything on a memory stick buddy

Alrite lads thanks for the help... i'll try to boot so but if that doesn't work then i'll just get a freinds HD and back it up

Thanks

Advertisement