Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomechanical tattoo

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey im thinkin of gettin a biomechanical piece done on my ribs as my first tattoo. any advice on where to fine a good example? and where would be good to get it done in dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Rob the tattoo artist in snakebite, seen a few pics of a sleeve he is doing on someone on the forum here. Really good work.

bmezine.com is good source for images, also check out h. r. giger's website and maybe try get your hands on some of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Here's a few pics of my first few sessions with Rob in snakebite. I'm due back in next week for another session. hopefully the sleeve will be mostly complete at that stage. I wasn't going to put up any pics till it's finished but I saw this thread and decided to throw a few up for you. Bear in mind that it's only half done so far and that sun hasn't been touched yet to blend it in.

If I had a blank canvas (no previous tatts) I'd have no problem whatsoever in going to Rob and letting him loose to do a bio-mech for me. I had 3 tattoos on this arm before Rob started my sleeve, he covered up 2 (the dark bits) and at the end we're going to blend that sun into the bio mech somehow. I can only imagine what he would have come up with if we had a blank canvas and he wasn't restricted by the 3 other tattoos already there before he started.

If it's your first tattoo and you want bio-mech drop into Rob and tell him what your looking for, show him a few examples of styles you like and then trust in him to develop the idea. He's a really nice guy with a lot of talent, I'm sure he'll do something very spectacular for you.

After about 11 hours so far:

3966152782_91aa572ab8_o.jpg

3965383047_99f3203376_o.jpg

3965380779_3acfc629dd_o.jpg

3965384119_8bd94a535d_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

That looks amazing clown bag. The sun looks familier, Pluto on Dorset Street do that?

Dancor wrote: »
    That looks amazing clown bag. The sun looks familier, Pluto on Dorset Street do that?
    That's right Dancor. Got it done a few years ago in his old shop just before he moved further up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Blanchy

That sleeve looks amazin! thats the kinda style im lookin for i was thinkin of havin it in colour like some red green blue/purple any idea how much it would cost around? i know its different for every tatto but just an estimate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

wow, the skin peeling back looks like you could get your fingers in there. great tattoo

Blanchy wrote: »
    That sleeve looks amazin! thats the kinda style im lookin for i was thinkin of havin it in colour like some red green blue/purple any idea how much it would cost around? i know its different for every tatto but just an estimate

sleeves are damn near impossible to put a price on. I'd recommend long sessions though as opposed to 2 / 3 hours here and there. I've done a 4 hour, a 7 hour and next week will have a 5 hour. I'd say there will be another session after that again, maybe 2 more actually (I'm really hoping it's not more). It's a slow process over months. Mine is mostly black / shade with some colour highlights.

A full colour sleeve will take an awful lot longer to do than black / shade so the cost will be a lot more. I think I paid €550 for my last 7 hour session. cant recall but it was thereabouts. To be honest I dont think even the artist will be able to price it until it's mostly complete and the end is in sight. All you can do is go in and ask for a ball park for full colour / full sleeve and then it's pay as you go from there. you could go a few sessions over or a few under his estimate, it's just very hard to tell not knowing the level of detail and colour involved.

short answer is I don't know how much a full colour sleeve would cost you. :o

lol fair enough i want a rib piece tho would that take longer than a sleeve or around the same?

I'd imagine less but then again it depends how big, how detailed and how much colour. best thing to do is just drop into rob and work out a rough design/ size and talk about colour / shading etc and see what he says. No one will be able to nail a price on it for you. You'll get an awful lot done in 5 hours on a blank canvas. First timer on the ribs it might be a bit much in one go though. All you can do is talk to an artist and he'll give you a better idea on price than anyone here can. Sorry I cant give you a price, I dont even know how much mine will end up costing in the end and I'm down on my forearm already.

ah ok thats grand i think ill drop in in the next week or two. does it cost for the consult/ design?

• Advertisement

Blanchy wrote: »
    ah ok thats grand i think ill drop in in the next week or two. does it cost for the consult/ design?
    no, just drop in, say hello and outline to him what you want. have some images / styles handy for him to look at. He'll ask for a bit of time before your first session so he can work on a design for you. I email him the odd time to tell him about ideas before each session and he lets me know about a few of his own. To be honest I'm comfortable enough at this stage for him to just do whatever he thinks works best. Just try to be as clear as you can about what you want so he's not wasting time designing something you wont like.

You'll be paying by the hour for the actual tattoo but he wont charge for coming up with the design. To be honest he'll probably freehand it on the day.

Ok thats great thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

****n AWESOME sleeve man! be sure to upload the final result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but like the op i want to get a biomechanical tattoo on my back spreading to my shoulder. it's a first tattoo and like the op i need recommendations on a good tattoo artist that could do a complex tat like this, couldn't see rob on Snakebite website so not sure he still works there.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

KilOit wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but like the op i want to get a biomechanical tattoo on my back spreading to my shoulder. it's a first tattoo and like the op i need recommendations on a good tattoo artist that could do a complex tat like this, couldn't see rob on Snakebite website so not sure he still works there.

Thanks

His is the first portfolio there.
    http://www.snakebite.ie/Albums/Tattoos/gallery%20robert/rob%20slideshow/robert%20gallery%20page.htm

Pawel in Skin City is awesome too.
    http://skincitytattoodublin.com/artists-gallery,tattoos,20.html
    The heart he did for me is on the 4th row from the bottom, second in. :)
    Wills leg is in there too.

Both awesome artists, won't go too far wrong with either of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

Well impressed with Robs work, some of the stuff he did is exactly what i want. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Rob is a lovely guy, always has a smile on his face :) Pawel is also quite nice, his english isn't as good hence why he doesn't talk as much.

Advertisement