Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Tenant

Options
  • 31-10-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

I have a tenant who has rented a room off me in a house for the past 2 months. He seemed fine for the first month, even helped me out with some painting etc however I got reports about 2 weeks back from the other tenants in the house that he was acting quite rude, made a lot of noise at night, drinking excessively etc. I gave him a verbal warning about the drinking and he calmed down a bit.

I got a text from one of the tenants today saying that they believe he may have beaten up his girlfriend last night. They heard lots of shouting and crying from the room, banging and what they heard was her being hit. It got so bad that bits of plaster and paint from the ceiling fell. I went over about an hour ago just after I got the text and everything seemed ok so we all agreed I'd get him out tomorrow when he's sober.

So I'm in the awkward spot of getting rid of an unstable/violent tenant. I have arranged for a few friends to back me up tomorrow but I'm worried he won't go easily. What rights do landlords have in this situation? I presume the second I lay a finger on him to get him out I've broken the law and I'll have threshold to deal with too.... but what other methods do I have - change the locks while he is out or something? We have a lease and he pays weekly, but he is 4 days late with his rent at the moment. I doubt the police will help out but should I call the police over what happened last night?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You will have to go by the letter of the law. I would seek advice from your solicitor and threshold. I doubt you could just throw him out on the street (even thought you would want to).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Thanks, I'm a complete novice when it comes to renting - this is a house myself and a few friends bought a while back and so far we've had really decent tenants. I read here http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/advice-centre/1170-1170-2501/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave.asp I must give 28 days notice to him or 7 days in the case of serious antoi social behviour. The other tenants in the house (all women., college students etc) feel threatened by him and since it was them who reported this they don't want to be in the house when he finds out.... I'll talk to Threshold tomorrow and see what can be done. I personally don't want to be the one to facilitate this guys drinking habits, sign his social welfare forms and offer him a room in which he can abuse his girlfriend and scare the **** out of others. I'll do everything i can to get him out tomorrow. If I have to give him 7 days I'll pay for hostel accomodation or something I refuse to let him stay in the house for one more night. The guy should be locked up let alone share a house with women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ocallagh wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm a complete novice when it comes to renting - this is a house myself and a few friends bought a while back and so far we've had really decent tenants. I read here http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/advice-centre/1170-1170-2501/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave.asp I must give 28 days notice to him or 7 days in the case of serious antoi social behviour. The other tenants in the house (all women., college students etc) feel threatened by him and since it was them who reported this they don't want to be in the house when he finds out.... I'll talk to Threshold tomorrow and see what can be done. I personally don't want to be the one to facilitate this guys drinking habits, sign his social welfare forms and offer him a room in which he can abuse his girlfriend and scare the **** out of others. I'll do everything i can to get him out tomorrow. If I have to give him 7 days I'll pay for hostel accomodation or something I refuse to let him stay in the house for one more night. The guy should be locked up let alone share a house with women.

pay for nothing. You are well in your rights to evict him. After that its not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hold on ..... I'm not normally one for being all civil activist type thingy and all that....

but dont do anything until you have facts ! ....did he hit his girlfriend? or just that the other tenants heard a row and a bang.....could have been pretty much anything that hit the ground.

if you suspect he is abusive, report it to the Gardai - as regards your rights - unfortunately due to liberal civil rights do-gooders tenants have a lot of rights these days and throwing him out at little or no warning would most likely be a breach of his rights...blah blah blah....

issue him with notice of eviction, contact the gardai to investigate, inform the gardai that the other residents are in fear for their own safety and ask their advice.... also contact threshhold and ask their advice on how to deal with the matter without reprisal.

Without getting into specifics I am fairly certain he beat up his girlfriend. It took the other tenants nearly an hour to describe everything they heard... they said it went on for about 45 mins including noises in the lobby etc. I understand this is not proof though and to be honest I'd prefer not to us it as the excuse to get rid of him. I'd prefer to put it down to his own anti social behaviour as I'd fear for the girlfriend's well being if he thought he was evicted over a fight with her...

• Advertisement

Just an update, talked to a solicitor and I have to give him 7 days notice. The only way to get him out before that is if he is actually arrested for something and locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did you talk to each tenant alone or were they all together?

They were together at the time when I talked to them.

Advertisement