Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S2000 or integra dc5 type R???

• 31-10-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I am planning on buying a new car and cannot make my mind up on which one to go for. All advice welcome.

The Honda S2000 is a 1999 clean car with fsh and 80000Miles on the clock. This is goin for 11000 euro.

The Honda Integra Type R is a 2002 clean car with fsh and 60000Miles on the clock.This is goin for 10000 euro.

Anyone know which is the overall better car and best value,, both are headturners. Also which would hold value better??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with the S2K, the DC5 has come down in value a lot lately and the s2K is far better looking and generally more desirable to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

personally id rather a the s2k

i do like both cars but theyre a lot rarer and can look agressive with a few mods

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keith-b

i always wanted a s2k ya have all the fun off vtec and rear wheel drive and love the interior in a s2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

I asked a different garage how much a s2k with 80k on clock would be worth, He told me that 80k on them cars is too much and the car hasn't got much left in it.

is he talking through his hole???

Im hearing a lot of good things about the dc5 as well... i really dont kno what to go for :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

coolkidd wrote: »
    I asked a different garage how much a s2k with 80k on clock would be worth, He told me that 80k on them cars is too much and the car hasn't got much left in it.

is he talking through his hole???

Im hearing a lot of good things about the dc5 as well... i really dont kno what to go for :(
    Thats a load of rubbish, if its looked after it'll be grand, the engine in the s2000 (F20 I think its called) is apparently the best of the Vtec engines. You'll be hard pushed to find one in your budget with less miles than that.

I'd rather the DC5 though, far better looking car and a wee bit more practical than the s2000, but the s2000 will be a bit faster. You'll also get a 02/03 DC5 for 11k I reckon.

Take em both for a spin and decide for yourself!

Anoter car you could probably look at with that budget would be an evo, you could probably pick up a VII with 11k. Twould be a better car then both IMO but the running costs will kill you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

honestly the s2000 is a bit of a hairdressers car, integras are commen as chips nowadays, and think about what kind of car you could get for 10-11k most garages would love to see you comming with that kind of money , take a tour of some garages, you'll be surprised with the type of car you'd get for that money!!!

I dont think the Dc5's are that comman. What kinda car you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

They are 2 a penny up here, letterkenny, we bought a sr180 auris in june past granted it was a good bit more than 11k but still a lot less than the asking price. for 10 - 11k you could get an 03 nissan 350gt http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Nissan/Skyline/350GT/200941195446293/advert?channel=CARS
    an 03 evo http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/Lancer--/200943195611437/advert?channel=CARS
    the list goes on and on , i very nearly bought myself a second hand holden V8 but it just wasnt practical (and the fact herself indoors didn't like it, too fast she said) where about are ya? just take a tour of the garages there is loads of cars out there for dirt cheap money!

Im in Wicklow, the nissan is nice and goin for peanuts but 3.5 litre petrol would be the killin of me! I have my mind set on a integra or s2k, Im goin to test them both this week, but i will admit that im kinda leaning more towards the integra.

I checked out the dc5's and 2002 (with 60k on clock) for 10k is the cheapest around, would it be worth looking at importing or is there any savings in it anymore??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Go and drive both,Ive had a fair few R badged hondas and briefly a Dc5 currently an s2k.

Its got the rawness to it that the dc2 has,seems to be getting better mpg than any k20 honda i've owned too.I find the interior woefull though,you can hear & feel every single bump & noise ect whilst driving, if your anyway tall or bigger built comfort is out the window.Totally impractical but thats part of the fun of owning one!

It'l be either a love or hate with the s2000 and you wont know untill you give one a spin. Savage car on the twisties,imo nicer looking than the dc5, rarer too but still has an abundance of parts available for it. Insurance is dearer on the s2k for me than it was on any other Type R so just give that a check out first

• Advertisement

honestly the s2000 is a bit of a hairdressers car

Absolutely not...the s2000 is a drivers car
    eireal wrote: »
    Insurance is dearer on the s2k for me than it was on any other Type R so just give that a check out first

I could get quoted on an s2000 but not a DC5, the DC5 are import only so it's a bit harder than a UK or Irish s2000, I think I was quoted the same on a DC2 and an s2000, but couldnt get quoted on a DC5

I havnt checked out the insurance on either , im currently insured on mondeo tdci 130 bhp so i wouldnt be expectin a huge jump in insurance. I am worried about the running costs of the integra tho, What mpg shoukd i expect from Integra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd go S2000 without a doubt, but if you're worried about mpg... its certainly not frugal.

Going from a diesel to petrol is sure to disappoint you anyway.

Not a fan of the newer 'tegs at all myself
    coolkidd wrote:
    I havnt checked out the insurance on either

Do this 1st.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I havnt checked out the insurance on either , im currently insured on mondeo tdci 130 bhp so i wouldnt be expectin a huge jump in insurance.

I'd check this out first - I would say you'll be paying a lot more for a decent powered honda Vs a diesel mondeo....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

How about a S15? Goin for the same price as both the Hondas, its a 2 litre turbo RWD, looks nicer than the S2K and the DC5 IMO

View?id=1853154

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/965124

I will be checking the insurance first thing in the morning,, Il let yas kno how that goes.

That is a nice car but im set on either DC5 or s2k now,, but its looking more like the DC5 every day tbh!

What ya reckon my insurance will be?? Full License, 2Years no claims, 21 years old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What ya reckon my insurance will be?? Full License, 2Years no claims, 21 years old...

I reckon you will be lucky to get a quote on one

Bryn wrote: »
    I reckon you will be lucky to get a quote on one

I had a feeling that was coming. I have 3 months left insurance on the mondeo so if i switched car now the insurance company havta provide a quote,, but they can charge what they like!

Fingers Crossed its not thousands in the difference

I had a feeling that was coming. I have 3 months left insurance on the mondeo so if i switched car now the insurance company havta provide a quote,, but they can charge what they like!

Fingers Crossed its not thousands in the difference

Don't forget that if you do that and change your insurance like that, when renewal comes through, it could be a huge quote!
    And if you are doing that, you have to tell the insurance company that you have already bought the car, don't say you are just thinking about buying one

Ye i know,, i fell into that trap before and they wouldnt quote me.

Anyway I'l check it out 2moro and let you know how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

On an S2000 or a DC5 be prepared to get raped!

Both great cars in there own right, both different though so a test drive will let you know which one is for you.

That is if you can get insurance in the first place!

I havnt checked out the insurance on either , im currently insured on mondeo tdci 130 bhp so i wouldnt be expectin a huge jump in insurance. I am worried about the running costs of the integra tho, What mpg shoukd i expect from Integra?

The running costs on any honda arent the worst in fairness,I've had 7 of them so far and touch wood never had to replace anything major, with regular services and looked after they really are bulletproof.

You might find some parts dearer for the integra due to there being no uk variant, but theres heaps of stuff available online which will probably be cheaper than buying here anyways.

eireal wrote: »
    The running costs on any honda arent the worst in fairness,I've had 7 of them so far and touch wood never had to replace anything major, with regular services and looked after they really are bulletproof.

The general maintenance of the car wouldn't be too expensive but the petrol in them would be pricey, i've a DC2 and apparently they're cheap enough on juice, I certainly wouldn't call it economical so I can only imagine what the DC5 would be like.

OP, last year when I was looking into getting the Teg, I wanted a DC5 too, got a quote from 3 places, ARB, Britton and I cant remember the third but they dont do performance cars anymore, I was 21 at the time and the quotes I got were all over 4k. Really don't want to put a downer on it for you but at 21...you virtually can't insure a DC5 without a lorra lorra cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

(

I'd say what he meant is that the car could be burning a lot of oil at that mileage, especially if it was ragged.

....and there will be a huge hike in your insurance from either of those cars

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    The general maintenance of the car wouldn't be too expensive but the petrol in them would be pricey, i've a DC2 and apparently they're cheap enough on juice, I certainly wouldn't call it economical so I can only imagine what the DC5 would be like.

The DC5 would probably be slightly more econmical as the K20 series has that bit more torque than the B18 series.

Not by much though.

In the DC2 I can get 250 miles to the 40 litre or so tank.

OP, last year when I was looking into getting the Teg, I wanted a DC5 too, got a quote from 3 places, ARB, Britton and I cant remember the third but they dont do performance cars anymore, I was 21 at the time and the quotes I got were all over 4k. Really don't want to put a downer on it for you but at 21...you virtually can't insure a DC5 without a lorra lorra cash

My Dc2 was a guzzler in comparison to the dc5 and EuroR accord i had, be it driving hard or on motorways,i found the ivtec much more economical ie 25/40mpg in comparison to mid 20's in the dc2.

@OP did you get any quotes today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Interesting to see how much the insurance cost will be for a 21 year old on an S2000.
    Any guesses?!?
    4k?!

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Interesting to see how much the insurance cost will be for a 21 year old on an S2000.
    Any guesses?!?
    4k?!
    A Euro Spec s2000 would cost me 1800, im 22 with 3 years ncb. But the DC5 is way more than that.

I get about 220 miles out of a tank in the DC2, I dont know how heavy the DC5's are, I'm only going from what i've heard.

A Euro Spec s2000 would cost me 1800, im 22 with 3 years ncb. But the DC5 is way more than that.

I get about 220 miles out of a tank in the DC2, I dont know how heavy the DC5's are, I'm only going from what i've heard.

That sounds a bit on the low side. Unless of course you are sitting in vtec a lot.....

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    That sounds a bit on the low side. Unless of course you are sitting in vtec a lot.....
    Not overly no, Its fairly mixed driving, short bursts on the motorway quite a bit so that would burn away a good drop! And the aftermarket Exhaust wouldn't improve feul economy!

Anyway, O/T!!!

OP, any joy with quotes?

Sooooo,, got four quotes today,, bad news all round tbh,

1. €3900
    2. €4500
    3. Wouldnt quote me
    4. €4900

But one of my mates works for an insurance company (not sayin which one in case i land him in it) and he said not to worry,, he'd sort a ''reasonable'' price out.

I wonder what he thinks ''reasonable'' is. He's a good lad tho so im expectin a decent price.

I'l let you know when i find out

Where are those quotes from as a matter of interest? Will come in handy to know where quotes high performance cars come renewal time

1. €3900
    2. €4500
    3. Wouldnt quote me
    4. €4900

But one of my mates works for an insurance company (not sayin which one in case i land him in it) and he said not to worry,, he'd sort a ''reasonable'' price out.

I wonder what he thinks ''reasonable'' is. He's a good lad tho so im expectin a decent price.

You're doing well to get quoted to be honest.

Considering i'm 26 and I only got 3 quotes out of about 12 or 13 companies on a dc2 (an irish one, not an import one!)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

1. €3900
    2. €4500
    3. Wouldnt quote me
    4. €4900

Crazy money,would you not wait a year or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

1. €3900
    2. €4500
    3. Wouldnt quote me
    4. €4900

Up to €408 a month? Wow, I hope you're recession proof!

• Advertisement

So finaly bought me a S2000 today, unbelievable car.

Mate sorted me out big time on insurance,, Got the years insurance fully comp wit windscreen cover for €1378, delighted with that.

Alls I can say is get to know someone in the insurance business and then get urself a s2000

Mate sorted me out big time on insurance,, Got the years insurance fully comp wit windscreen cover for €1378, delighted with that.

Alls I can say is get to know someone in the insurance business and then get urself a s2000
    How much did you pay for the car, any pics?

Good choice

Got it in the end for 10,450, really delighted with how it all worked out, I will post pics wen i get a chance to take dem nd all. Spent 30 quid on juice today while i was ''getting to kno'' the car :). That lasted me bout hour and half, Was well worth it tho.

You didn't hang about did you?! lol

Congrats on the new car, get some pics up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

please go over to http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25 and say hi

Nice forum over there. If you want to meet some s2k owners, come along to the octane C&C at carrickmines S/C at 1030am on the first sunday of every month.

PM me for details

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If the OP is going for an s2k may I reccomend my bosses one, he's stuck for cash, he never even got a chance to clear it, its been garaged for a year and he's put a new roof and new tyres on it even though the old ones were perfect, he's crazy about his cars. As far as I know its an 01, with low mileage, I can find out more if your interested, I have pics of it too.

I cant stress enough how clean the car is.

Hope this is ok Mods. (im not a trader, nor is my boss) Just saw the thread and he was talking about how he wants rid of it today.

D'oh just saw he bought one, facepalm lol.

Congrats, really are beautiful cars, and they go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

I have a DC5 Type R and I love. But its up to you try test drive both before you make up your mind

Paul MCM wrote: »
    I have a DC5 Type R and I love. But its up to you try test drive both before you make up your mind

Got it in the end for 10,450, really delighted with how it all worked out, I will post pics wen i get a chance to take dem nd all. Spent 30 quid on juice today while i was ''getting to kno'' the car :). That lasted me bout hour and half, Was well worth it tho.

As above the OP bought a new car already, dont bump up old threads for no reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement