Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expand Your Taste in Music

• 31-10-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread where we all seemed to try and convince soccy that there is more to rock then just Paramore i thought we should have a separate thread where posters can suggest to other posters different genres of music that they wouldn't necessarily listen to and have much knowledge about it.

Just make a post saying what sort of genre you'd like to explore and then contribute to the post where people request a genre that you listen to. Simples!

Ill start things off then and hope this doesn't completely tank :p

Have always been into guitar related music for the whole of my life whether that be rock, metal or various forms of acoustic genres but recently i found myself liking dance songs such as Flashback and Sexy B*tch thing is though iv really no knowledge of this huge genre! So suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's exactly what I made the other thread for. I should probably have given it a more appropriate title though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

An File wrote: »
    That's exactly what I made the other thread for. I should probably have given it a more appropriate title though...

Inefficient mod is inefficient and unclear :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote:
    I had hoped that this thread would act as a vehicle for reasoned debate on the perception of rock music amongst young people. It was my intention that people argue their reasons for liking the genre of their choice, with perhaps a link or two to samples of said music. The merits of different genres could then be compared and contrasted constructively, as opposed to the usual style of labelling one broad type of music as "crap" or "rubbish".

The Soundtrack to Your Angst thread is, in my opinion, more suited to a casual posting of songs/videos as they come to mind. I would prefer that videos posted in this thread are done so with some appropriate contextualisation.

It's also a thread to stop the bickering about pop/emo/punk/rap/whatever being class/annoying/aaarrrgh/awesome/whatever in other threads.
    The usual rules about off-topic posting still apply, even to you Onion.

:P

An File wrote: »
    :P

I still have no idea what that thread is about and it seems like everyone is in agreement that it's just shoving aload of various rock songs at Soccy! This one at least has instructions on the first page sooooo go on keep it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The other thread was made for pushing rock music in general, nothign more specific, and nothing other than rock music.
    Thaat's what I assumed and what the title suggests, I'd prefer this one because it's too late to merge them or change the other one since it's so long and established.

As for my suggestion... Folk-metal...
    It's exactly what it sounds, a cross between folk music and metal, and it's surprisingly good (Helps if you're already into metal, as a lot of the stuff does get fairly heavy).
    Wikipedia has a nice list of folk-metal bands here...

Of those I really love Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Wintersun and Korpiklaani (among others)... But I really can't just recommend one band or song, so if you think you may be interested (Which most of you probably wouldn't be) go youtube search a couple of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Stev_o wrote: »
    Have always been into guitar related music for the whole of my life whether that be rock, metal or various forms of acoustic genres but recently i found myself liking dance songs such as Flashback and Sexy B*tch thing is though iv really no knowledge of this huge genre! So suggestions?
    Listen to more Calvin Harris!! If you like one song chances are you'll like a few coz alot of his songs are the same! Very little lyrics all about the music, (that he does himself) many people don't know that :P His first album is better I think though.

I sound like his promoter or something Lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deise_girl wrote: »
    Listen to more Calvin Harris!! If you like one song chances are you'll like a few coz alot of his songs are the same! Very little lyrics all about the music, (that he does himself) many people don't know that :P His first album is better I think though.

I sound like his promoter or something Lol! :D
    I thought everyone knew that :confused:

I recommend Celtic Punk, specifically the Dropkick Murphys :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I thought everyone knew that :confused:

I recommend Celtic Punk, specifically the Dropkick Murphys :D
    Some peeps don't(well that i've talked to in school), which is stupid coz thats the point of his songs, not the vocals. Also his hit with Dizzie Rascal, "Dance Wiv me" he did the music there too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Expand Your Horizons ftw.........

From now on, post videos in the Soundtrack to Your Angst thread. Debate about musical tastes and genres can continue here in Stev_o's new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

recently i found myself liking dance songs

Well if you want to know the best dance tunes i'd say check out deadmau5...he's a bit of a legend!

also try passion pit...pure catchy tunes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ill start things off then and hope this doesn't completely tank :p

Post Rock stuff can sound like a good mix between beats and guitars, especially a band from the north called And So I Watch You From Afar. Very good. Nice and heavy.
    And La Roux! She's awesome!

Lately, I've been listening to The Strokes loads. Along with The Band and Tom Waits. I love them LOADS!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Wll my iPod is only 2GB. So I usually mass download loads of random stuff and slap it on there and put it on shuffle. I listen to about 20-30 new songs everyday that way. If I really like a song I'll only listen to it once a week, otherwise I just kill it to quickly. Right now cos I'm studying I like to listen to some easy listening kinda stuff, and this is a pretty good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MzHqkNBwo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide

That's epic list cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Well if you want to know the best dance tunes i'd say check out deadmau5...he's a bit of a legend!

:eek: :eek: I Remember - Deadmau5 & Kaskade , Deadmau5 - Ghosts and Stuff ...serious songs right there! :eek:

Last year got more into rock and stuff like but lately getting back into like little tenny bopper stuff ...I'm scared! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Cool, someone posted Einaudi. He always reminds me of summer two years ago.

Anyway, for something calm or relaxing, try Eluvium or Sigur Ros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

for nice chill out music you gotta check out Lisa Mitchell...19yr old aussie singer and guitarist...shes freaking amazing! saw her live a few weeks ago when she supported Newton Faulkner. she is possibly the most chill out buzz ive had in a long time :)

Advertisement