Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Games thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Ry wrote: »
    Because I try so hard with higher expectations of myself only to fail so badly that I get so stressed I question why I put myself through it and if it's worth it or not.
    The training for hours on execution and timing and inputs, all to be dashed and end up showing no sign of improvement to myself whatsoever.

I find this very hard to deal with calmly.

I used to have the same problem when I played blag a while back online. I'm not sure about the viper/bison matchup but the chun/bison matchup is desperate hard for me especially of it's a good one your facing.he was beating me 10 - 1 moat times.it feels very dimoralising to day the least.
    Try not it let it get u down man.I've improved somewhat in that matchup but I'm gettin a lot better at the other matchups too, some which Im very confident in winning. Execution and all the rest doesn't mean anythin if u don't know the matchups so that's where I'm constantly learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

imo Ry fundamentals (spacing, when to use normals, etc.) and matchup knowledge are far more important than combo knowledge. I'd advise focusing on that primarily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Why dont you pick a character thats easier to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    imo Ry fundamentals (spacing, when to use normals, etc.) and matchup knowledge are far more important than combo knowledge. I'd advise focusing on that primarily

I agree but I do have to have the others down as with Viper you only get so many chances to punish or inflict your damage so when you get them it has to be done cleanly and to the best you can.
    Bush80 wrote: »
    Why dont you pick a character thats easier to use?

I would if I liked other characters. The only 2 characters I am genuniely interested in playing are Viper and Akuma. I love playing Viper as she's great fun and extremely mobile. Akuma I haven't used much at all though. I just like him as a character and his moveset in general.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

So why do you use Ryu at tourneys? You should drop him completely IMO if you don't enjoy using him and only play him to place well.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    So why do you use Ryu at tourneys? You should drop him completely IMO if you don't enjoy using him and only play him to place well.

I didn't know anyone else. That's why I've been trying to get away from him :)

Anyway back on topic.

GG's Azza!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

GG to Azza - he poked me more times than a hot 18 year old on facebook. And ropedrink who's balrog called me loser more times than said 18 year old would say to the guys poking her.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ry wrote:
    I agree but I do have to have the others down as with Viper you only get so many chances to punish or inflict your damage so when you get them it has to be done cleanly and to the best you can.

Without match up knowledge, you won't get the chances to do the damage in the first place.

I would recommend what others have suggested switch to a simpler character.

Viper has alot of weak points.

Low Health.
    Very bad wake up game.
    Bad Normals and slow specials make her highly vunrable to poking.
    Her air game outside of her super jump is also pretty bad.
    She is extremely technical and requires a high degree of dexterity to make the most of her chances.

If you switched to an easier character like Ryu you straight away have access to combo's and punishers that require a low level of dexterity. Don't worry about his more complicated stuff just stick to stuff you can do at first and work your way up slowly.

But like people said learning match ups and zoning is a more productive area to start with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seriously ry match up knowledge. I get by on zoning and 2 hit combos. I'm working on my punishes now but they'd be useless anyway if I can't control the flow of a fight to any degree or keep the cast where I need them.

On another note azza quit beating up my old arcade buddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Learning a new character is a lot of work and frustrating beat downs. Its hard cos you are usually playing someone who is using their main of a year. You just have to stick it out I suppose, it might not be too bad when super comes out and people are trying new characters.

• Advertisement

Rapedrink.

Yep - gotta get the height / timing for the air tatsu sorted - you're bang on about the air thing, akumas recovery is pretty stupid on his air fireballs and it's easy enough to step underneath them. I throw out the standing roundhouse too often also. His normals can't match balrogs so I've gotta figure out something else.

I'm mad enough for both, but lack the PC version of SF4... Damn you Ropey!

GG's Sisko. Some interesting fights tonight against your Akuma. Very similar characters in that they've both little health and play mix up and knockdown games.

Cheers rope - lots to learn. Don't jump back, don't jump forward, no air fireballs and pretty much do nothing at mid screen range :D - I've gotta sort my timing on the pc version - it feels different for combos than the ps3 and my punishes are leaving me open. A lot to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

joconnell wrote: »
    I've gotta sort my timing on the pc version - it feels different for combos than the ps3 and my punishes are leaving me open. A lot to do :D

try turning off vsync

I'm locked at 60 fps far as I know (backgrounds and aa turned off - ****ing herecy) but the pc connections are far better than I'm getting on ps3 - I'll dig out the vsync option though cheers!

I find with a lot of the matchups that they aren't quite applicable to the early stages of learning - for example if you take blanka / akuma (my other least favourite match) I have to learn to deal with all of the ****ty spam stuff first before all the subtleties you see in youtube matches applies. For example any top level match no blanka would get away with what I'm falling for so the way they play in the video matches is totally different. Give me a couple of months that that stuff'll become more relevant - Ropes matches vs the ukranian akuma give some good pointers for spacing and timing though!

Thanks for another thrashing Redman :) gg's

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

GGs. Like I was saying, your viper really impressed me in the first few fights, your mixups were constantly catching me out. You should try and keep up that momentum no matter what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thought u gave up playing fag ?

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    thought u gave up playing fag ?

Yeh tell me about it. I did manage to delete my local content today though so that should be that :)

Great games to Sagat0(6/8). Your Ryu is tough, but that Blanka is a pain in the hole! If you've any advice for me that'd be cool. What's the best way to punish that sliding punch?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

Good games to Araforn earlier, this is bourkenator. Sorry I couldn't stay on longer but my brother wanted the xbox. Great chun as usual, i really need more matchup experience against her. We should definitely play more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Great games to Sagat0(6/8). Your Ryu is tough, but that Blanka is a pain in the hole! If you've any advice for me that'd be cool. What's the best way to punish that sliding punch?

It's -14 on block, so eh...basically anything you can think of :pac:

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's -14 on block, so eh...basically anything you can think of :pac:
    I think it's mainly the fact that it frazzels me for some reason. I just freeze when I see that move!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

If you block the slide, happy days, if you focus crumble it, a better day.
    Gotta bait it though for the FA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

GGs D4RK ONION strong Honda - I really need to wotk on that match I'll definitely hit you up for some more games, yeah that slide, like Drddy said, is easy as to punish. it's pretty useless against most of the cast and shouldnt be used but I cant help it :)

To punish it you have any option from super to ultra, ochio throw normal throw slaps... well pretty much anything you want to thrown out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

GGSs to Azza last night.....I think you totally managed to avenge Seth's ass!
    Really great to play you, as all the other fights against randomers seem easy afterwards. I'll be around for a bit tomorrow with my mic on, so you can explain the Os tech to me....!

Also very GGs to Cobelcog on Sunday.....always a humbling experience.

Ps: You guys are both the master of 'Stick Vega in the corner, don't let him out and proceed to beat the absolute crap out of his prone, non-defensive butt!!'

Sagat06 wrote: »
    GGs D4RK ONION strong Honda - I really need to wotk on that match I'll definitely hit you up for some more games.
    Yeah, more games sounds good, blanka experience is always good. I'd give you advice but you know everything I could possibly tell you about the match-up I think (unless you want to ask me something?).

Also, I hope you don't mind that I switch between Honda and seth a bit next time, I'm trying to bring my Seth up to tourney standard, as I'm sick of going out against Guile DooM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Also, I hope you don't mind that I switch between Honda and seth a bit next time, I'm trying to bring my Seth up to tourney standard, as I'm sick of going out against Guile DooM.

Not being smart but perhaps you should ask bush in the match up thread about Guile/ Honda. He can beat me about 8/2 with him. It's not an unassailable mountain- Nearly every fight I am in beside Honda and Bison is considered 7/3 or 6/4 against by this point :D

Advertisement