Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x06 "Water" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 31-10-2009 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

I think im going to like this one, we'll see.

How do you rate "Water" 66 votes

Thirsty for more Puddle Love
    0% 0 votes
    Pretty frickin' good
    22% 15 votes
    McKay
    31% 21 votes
    N'O'Niell
    33% 22 votes
    I have no sense of disbelief; Therefore I hate this show
    12% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was good. But User you probably should not stay up all night nursing the download. 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are you just rubbing it in????:D

Feck this, i'm downloading it, Tuesday is sooooooo far away

Yes. Yes I am.

Ohhh look its 11 o clock. I could watch it again... but nyaaaah ive been up since 8 and im knackered. Oh and it will be up on hulu in the morning.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Really liked this ep, was good to see the sand planet creatures back. That bauldy lad seems to be up to no good at all, water and food.

The attack looked good and fairly graffic.. Wonder will that be shown on Sky before 9pm lol

Gotta love Eli and his crazy idea's.
    Think Johansen shows some good development as well. Was nice to see her getting some good screen time.

Rush is still Rush and got to say I am liking him more each week. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Another solid and good episode. Did anybody elsr recognise the Suits?

normal_106_water_25.jpg

The Asguard Lost Tribe battle suits from Altlantis.
    AlienVillan11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

universe just keep getting better and better

this is the first standalone episode and its quite damned good

some good parts:

* more people dying, quite a graphic death
    * the 2nd planet they visit is even more inhospitable, compare that to the other gates
    * the soundtrack/music is excellent yet again
    * no using deux ex machine plot lines! if this was star trek they would have been transported out
    * and then there are the aliens who now are on a planet with **** load of water :)

if this is the standard we can expect thruout then im well sold on universe

i can even remember the first 6 episodes of atlantis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

can mods make sure that people spoiler thinsg i just read something i didnt want to read :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How the heck do you get these so fast??

Note: I'm not posting here again until I see the episode but c'mon this thread was created at 1:00 am??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The general concensus Snow-Monkey is that if the thread has the word spoiler in the subject line, that anyone who clicks in should be aware parts of the episode will be discussed. If you don't want to know, don't read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spot on, PaintDoctor. **SPOILERS** in the thread title means that there are spoilers in the thread. Duh. :)

Very good episode. This show has more weight, emotion and drama than Atlantis ever hard, and its so much better because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Great ep, very different to SG1 and Atlantis.

Aliens are very alien, planets are very non-earth like, there has been sfa mention of cool Ancient tech - on that point no magic usb wires have been used to hook laptops up to the ship, they are still not in control.

And theres some pretty good use made of the non main characters.

Its not really the plots that are interesting me though, its a drama set in space, a very character driven show.

Tis starting to get a bit repetitive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Really liked it. Finally some confirmed aliens. Excellent episode.
    can mods make sure that people spoiler thinsg i just read something i didnt want to read :( ?
    What did you expect with the thread title? :D

Malty_T wrote: »
    How the heck do you get these so fast??

Note: I'm not posting here again until I see the episode but c'mon this thread was created at 1:00 am??:eek:

No, this thread was created at 9:00 pm. Eastern.
    can mods make sure that people spoiler thinsg i just read something i didnt want to read ?
    If its any consolation. Its not a spoiler. You see them in the first 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, another solid episode and a faster pace overall since it was self contained - definitely enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good episode, scott would wanna keep it in his pants, really like, turning off your radio so you can console someone:D,

i like that eli is breaking away on his own with ideas, thought it would take him longer to motivate himself at first, the kino sled was a good idea,

as said the aliens were actually alien, im sure well see some humans soon enough though, how stupid was yerman who shot the aliens, when they showed no threat what so ever, and johanson seemed to have a blonde moment by not telling anyone she saw alieans onboard (oh a large dust cloud floating through the ship, sure help yerselfs),

good to see some inhospitable planets, its good that the writers are making it hard for them to do something, but not so hard as that they dont just jump back at the last second and the ship jumps to FTL (ala atlantis),

thought it was a solid epsiode id give it an 8/10, 2 points for the blonde moment and killing unknown aliens for no reason,

i still think it will take another 10 episodes to hit its stride, there laying some solid groundwork for later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Another good episode and I like that it gave voice to Rush's philosophy of "always consider the greater good" - not that we didnt really know it anyway but its nice to have it spelled out and its consistent with all his actions to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Overheal wrote: »
    No, this thread was created at 9:00 pm. Eastern.
    If its any consolation.

Ahh, lucky you. :)

Liked this episode, thought Eli's invention was good and really show's his 'gold star' class. What I liked more though was how he also turned out to be a tad annoying because he was clearly taking the alien thing way too serious and not letting Young and Scott get on with the job at hand.
    Rush and Jack Bauer would make a great team for tv:).

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Bodan

This was the best episode by a country mile for me. I really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yet another rock solid episode. Really enjoying it, and i love that its much more character driven then previous Stargate incarnations. I'm really like the effects and the music is also top notch. Characters are great too. Really liking most of the characters, especially Rush, Young and Scott. And Greer has grown on me as well. Loved when he floored Spencer last week, and how polite he was to Chloe when searching her room :)
    What I liked more though was how he also turned out to be a tad annoying because he was clearly taking the alien thing way too serious and not letting Young and Scott get on with the job at hand.
    I think the one person who has a right to freak out a bit in regards to possible killer aliens is Eli. It makes sense, considering this is the first time he's come close to anything alien.
    Rush and Jack Bauer would make a great team for tv:).
    They already did :P
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813980/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Another solid and good episode. Did anybody elsr recognise the Suits?

normal_106_water_25.jpg

The Asguard Lost Tribe battle suits from Altlantis.
    AlienVillan11.jpg

Ya, I was mentioning that a few weeks back on another thread producers mentioned they are similar and there is a genuine story reason for it...
    I think its one of two things...

1. Its poss the unknown ship seen undocking and flying away form destiny previously was some of the Asguard lost tribe who were exploring the ship and were interrupted by the icarus crew. With their battle suits off they wouldnt be a match for 80 armed humans.

2. or the Ancients and Asguard share a common ancestry, Thor did mention that at one stage they did look very similar to humans. If destiny is millions of years old it would give them ample time to have evolved to how they look now.. or well did look, poor little guys.
    To me Destiny seems almost Asguard in design with a very primal like shape. If at some stage the ancients and asgard had a common ancestry you'd imagine they'd be capable of major things like seeding multipal galaxies with gate networks and why the asguard were part of the "intergalactic UN" as Daniel put it along with the ancients.
    If its true it would mean destiny is from some sort of asguard/ancient missing link species.... that'd be cool.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    Ya, I was mentioning that a few weeks back on another thread producers mentioned they are similar and there is a genuine story reason for it...
    I think its one of two things...

1. Its poss the unknown ship seen undocking and flying away form destiny previously was some of the Asguard lost tribe who were exploring the ship and were interrupted by the icarus crew. With their battle suits off they wouldnt be a match for 80 armed humans.

2. or the Ancients and Asguard share a common ancestry, Thor did mention that at one stage they did look very similar to humans. If destiny is millions of years old it would give them ample time to have evolved to how they look now.. or well did look, poor little guys.
    To me Destiny seems almost Asguard in design with a very primal like shape. If at some stage the ancients and asgard had a common ancestry you'd imagine they'd be capable of major things like seeding multipal galaxies with gate networks and why the asguard were part of the "intergalactic UN" as Daniel put it along with the ancients.
    If its true it would mean destiny is from some sort of asguard/ancient missing link species.... that'd be cool.

Actually,
    Asgard #1: "This is the Asgard planet, Othalla, in Galaxy Ida."
    O'Neill: "Why did I come here?"
    Asgard #2: "The Ancients moved on from our region of space long ago. But your subconscious mind used their knowledge to find us here where you could get help."
    Asgard #1: "Very impressive."
    O'Neill, shrugging off the compliment: "Well, you know..."
    Asgard #1: "We did not think your brains had advanced even that far."
    O'Neill: "How is it...you know so much about our brains?"
    Asgard #1: "We have studied your race closely."
    O'Neill: "Ah." He shrugs. "What did you learn?"
    Asgard #2: "That your species has great potential."
    O'Neill: "Great potential. That's good."
    Asgard #1: "Understand this. There was once an alliance of four great races in the galaxy. The Asgard, the Nox..."
    O'Neill: "Met them."
    Asgard #1: "...the Furlings..."
    O'Neill: "Don't know them..."
    Asgard #1: "...and the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates."
    O'Neill: "That's a pretty heady group."
    Asgard #1: "The alliance was built over many millennia. Your race has much to prove before we may interact on that level."
    O'Neill: "Ah," he stands and is a good two feet taller than any of the Asgard, "Look, you all seem to be quite...wonderful...people..." he kneels, "and, I don't want to sound ungrateful because I really, really appreciate you getting all that stuff out of my head, but you folks should understand that we're out there now. And we might not be ready for a lot of this stuff, but we're doing the best that we can. We are a very curious race." The Asgards exchange glances.
    Asgard #2, extending its hand, which O'Neill takes: "You have already taken the first steps to becoming the fifth race."

180px-Flightpath.gif

Definitely, given the possibilities, the Asgard galaxy Ida is the 3rd or 4th galaxy on Destiny's original flightplan. That may have been a Lost Tribe shuttle. Sure. The suggestion is though that they were alliance partners for a long time and likely shared a wealth of technologies.
    THOR: You cannot even begin to comprehend the extent of what was unfolding in O'Neill's mind. Our scientists, long ago, extracted parts of the Ancient library of knowledge and learned much from it. But we have been studying it for as long as I can remember, and we have barely scratched the surface.

JACKSON: So we'd be looking for a needle in a haystack.

THOR: A haystack of infinite size.

JACKSON: That's big.

But I mean, in the end, its unlikely they'll go with the Asgard. Theyve been pretty adamant about making Destiny a standalone. Avoiding spin-off elements is the order of the day.

Pegasus Galaxy

A Vanir Asgard."We are talking about the deaths of millions of people. How can you be so callous?"
    —Daniel Jackson

Main article: Vanir

A rogue group of Asgard who broke apart from the Ida Asgard were later met by the Atlantis expedition in 2008. Upon the expedition's discovery of Janus' lab, these Asgard invaded Atlantis and removed the device and captured Drs. McKay and Jackson in a surgical strike. They had Jackson and McKay activate the Attero Device as a means to stop the Wraith at any cost. Their leader revealed to Daniel Jackson that they broke away from the main group of Asgard in order to conduct experiments on the humans of the Pegasus Galaxy in an attempt to find a solution to their cloning problems. The Ancients lost their war with the Wraith and the Wraith then attacked the Asgard who lost their intergalactic ships in the first battle, thus stranding them in the Pegasus Galaxy. In order to survive the Asgard moved to a toxic planet where the Wraith could not go and used their battle suits to protect them from the harsh atmosphere. Unfortunately, the planet's atmosphere became too harsh for them and they were forced to venture out into the galaxy. They found Janus' lab and the Attero Device, aware of its function. They planned to use it to destroy the Wraith, not caring if the Stargates exploded. Their plan was foiled when Colonel Sheppard took a Traveler ship to the planet and engaged two of the three Asgard ships in battle while the third escaped to hyperspace. The two Asgard ships were destroyed in the battle and the Attero Device was shut down by Jackson and McKay and then destroyed, foiling the Asgard's plan. (ATL: "First Contact", "The Lost Tribe")

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Asgard

Overheal if you watch that episode again where they show the flight plan, it shows 7 universe jumps but when it pans away theres another 20 or so beeps indicating Destiny is roughly at least 20+ galaxys away from the Milkyway.

Im well aware. I didnt make any assumption about that.

Overheal wrote: »
    Im well aware. I didnt make any assumption about that.

Where did i say you where? I was just pointing it out the fact it would be a bit of a big stretch that a Asgaurd pod docked with Destiny only 3 jumps in and stayed with it for another 20 galaxys and a couple of million years. There would be a dozen humonids in that pod that size at most.

Well say that! :p

It would be a stretch alright. and again, spinoffage. I doubt it was an Asgard craft.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Back from holidays, so had the pleasure of watching two episodes over the weekend. Really enjoyed both. I'm liking the attention to detail for example - Eli was clearly still sun burnt from his time in "Air".

I think the characters are developing too. Young clearly does not like Rush - it's a clash of personalities. Young is about the people, whereas Rush is more pragmatic (and thus seems colder) with "the greater good". Thought it was very well played here.
    I also liked Rush slapping down Eli. I know a number of people feared Eli was a new Wesley Crusher but I think this showed that they're not going to take that route and force Eli to think. The fact that he's not shown to a prodigy as such, but more of an awkward genius is good.

Show still looks awesome - it's enough to make me want to buy a HDTV to see how pretty it really looks. Speaking of appearances, I'm glad to see that there might be a reason that they looked like those Asgard suits (a detail I surprisingly picked up on).

Characters are definitely growing on me too and I don't think they're piling on the angst too much. The re-use of some of the more minor characters into re-occurring roles (e.g. Riley) makes it seem like they're properly trying to use the resources available to them - SG1 and SGA just generally let McKay/Zelenka and Carter do all the thinking.

Very impressed so far and the show is definitely establishing itself - which is quite an accomplishment given we're only six episodes in. I think the change in style and direction of story telling has revitalised the writers who were becoming a tad jaded with the SG1/SGA more set formula.

I just hope they don't get to carried away with all the sex scenes. I don't mind the hot babes but i don't want them in my face every episode.

Also im not seeing the Damage on Destiny

sgu_106_0374.jpg

Except the the right middle section in this picture.

sgu_106_1596.jpg

sgu_102_0001.jpg

• Advertisement

Nobody eluded the extent of damage done to destiny. these appear to be just a few direct hits from some battle that clearly must have taken place.

Advertisement