Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x06 "Water" **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ixoy wrote: »
    Show still looks awesome - it's enough to make me want to buy a HDTV to see how pretty it really looks..

do do well worth it

the attention to detail so far is amazing, i often pause and go frame by frame as theres just so many clues and details ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

meh its getting repetitive and boring

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

sgu_102_0001.jpg

I'm liking how you can see the damaged dome in this one, the one where Eli opened the hatch and they started loosing air.

Cant wait to find out the explanation of the suits, also i think the suits look slightly more badass in universe too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The ship is also alot smaller than i first thought it was. I dont think its much bigger than a Daedalus class ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Definitely not. Again its another good example of what they were capable of at the time. Getting Atlantis into Hyperspace for example, requires exponential amounts of power versus a ship of Destiny's size, which is likely dozens of times smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bloody hell, i can find where the american cousins put this episode. everywhere i look their parents seem to have taken it away, never seen anything like it...might have to revert to rrent it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

its a fairly boring show tbh it badly needs to pick up 4-5 episodes of nothing much happening apart from walking around a desert/ice planet with some unseen aliens

Scruff wrote: »
    bloody hell, i can find where the american cousins put this episode. everywhere i look their parents seem to have taken it away, never seen anything like it...might have to revert to rrent it..
    Try registered mail next time.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

bizmark wrote: »
    its a fairly boring show tbh it badly needs to pick up 4-5 episodes of nothing much happening apart from walking around a desert/ice planet with some unseen aliens

Bah humbug. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Show still looks awesome - it's enough to make me want to buy a HDTV to see how pretty it really looks.

A mod of sci-fi AND films doesnt have a HD t.v.?? :eek: how can you appreciate anything you watch? you must be into content and story and other such preHD concepts. sooooo last centuary.

Actually, i watched this ep on my 9" nettop. maybe thats why i voted mckay instead of Pretty frickin' good...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I disagree :) Most of BSG was just them sitting around yakking, but it was still a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I disagree :) Most of BSG was just them sitting around yakking, but it was still a good show.

and most of the Atlantis/SG1

was spend running around canadian forests or flying spaceships

seems like the guy wants mindless action and shallow 2D characters

someone send Atlantis boxsets for xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Really enjoyed "Water", the attack seen was completely different from what would have been shown in SG1/SGA. I'm enjoying the character developments, but i still just dont get Eli, someone above dismissed the Wesley Crusher connection but i'm not so sure. Young telling him to clean up the room was very "Captain Picard to Wesley". He the boy genius who has no experience but still has more input compared to the real scientists on board. But i'll give that another few episodes to develop.

seems like the guy wants mindless action and shallow 2D characters

Christ :rolleyes:

Ya oddly when i watch a tv show i want to be entertained this isnt some amazingly written bit of tv its not dexter it cant go off the strength of its already terribly boreing done before in stargate atlantis and voyager premise or its uninteresting characters doing uninteresting thing's to an uninteresting ship constantly on the brink of destruction but never ever will be destroyed i watched stargate sg1/atlantis for over a decade because it was 1.fun 2.entertaining 3.didnt take it's self seriosly

This bsg wanabe (which i also hated) is none of those thing's imho "lol tv sex" shakey camera nonsence and a somewhat grumpy scientist does not a better show make even in a bad episode of sg1/atlantis the interplay between the team could and would save it be it mckay oneill jackson etc but still you can enjoy your "grown up" show where nothing happens while looking down apon us mere fool's who enjoy entertianing tv shows while you doing that ill be off to enjoy dexter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Christ :rolleyes:

Ya oddly when i watch a tv show i want to be entertained this isnt some amazingly written bit of tv its not dexter it cant go off the strength of its already terribly boreing done before in stargate atlantis and voyager premise or its uninteresting characters doing uninteresting thing's to an uninteresting ship constantly on the brink of destruction but never ever will be destroyed i watched stargate sg1/atlantis for over a decade because it was 1.fun 2.entertaining 3.didnt take it's self seriosly

This bsg wanabe (which i also hated) is none of those thing's imho "lol tv sex" shakey camera nonsence and a somewhat grumpy scientist does not a better show make even in a bad episode of sg1/atlantis the interplay between the team could and would save it be it mckay oneill jackson etc but still you can enjoy your "grown up" show where nothing happens while looking down apon us mere fool's who enjoy entertianing tv shows while you doing that ill be off to enjoy dexter.

Wow, emmmm what??? Any chance of some sentence structure???

So you probably dismissed The Wire as just another done before 'cop show' too?
    If you really hated BSG then I actually feel sorry for you. That was some of the best TV I've ever seen and you've missed out.
    SGA/SG1 I've also watched since their inception and quite enjoyed. Earlier seasons of SG1 were fantastic but it just got so stale. SGA was ok and watchable but nowhere near the heights of BSG or earlier SG1.
    Dexter is ok but it hasn't been a patch on the first series.

Not having a go at you, each to their own and all that, but your just wrong. Sorry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

There's one thing I don't understand in "Water":
    Why didn't Young give Scott this ice cutting thingy to cut himself out of the crevice if he was blocked there? The cutter end was on a longish cord which should suffice or he could've given Scott the whole thing if he had to.

Although I liked how their survival depended on the pure chance of the tremor releasing him instead of on some last thirty seconds superhero action :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

herya wrote: »
    There's one thing I don't understand in "Water":
    Why didn't Young give Scott this ice cutting thingy to cut himself out of the crevice if he was blocked there? The cutter end was on a longish cord which should suffice or he could've given Scott the whole thing if he had to.

Although I liked how their survival depended on the pure chance of the tremor releasing him instead of on some last thirty seconds superhero action :D
    They discussed it and Young declared it was too risky because it risked compromising Scott's suit.:)

Malty_T wrote: »
    They discussed it and Young declared it was too risky because it risked compromising Scott's suit.:)

Cheers!! I must have missed it somehow?
    Myself I'd rather compromise a suit than two suits and two lives but it's boring I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

herya wrote: »
    Cheers!! I must have missed it somehow?
    Myself I'd rather compromise a suit than two suits and two lives but it's boring I know...
    yet his suit was compromised anyway!

I'm liking it - it's growing on me, watched the 6 eps yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

With a small tear, if it was made any bigger then one breath of the planets air would be fatal.

• Advertisement

With a small tear, if it was made any bigger then one breath of the planets air would be fatal.

Excuses excuses, Sam Carter would have gone for it for sure! She's even take the ice she cut off back to the ship...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have enjoyed all the episodes so far - except this one, tbh.

The swarm thing was hap-hazard, completely unexplained and ripped off from The Abyss, while the ice crevasse thing seems like a time-filler, and just amounted to nothing in the end.

I'm starting to realise how little I know or care about any of the crew. The ship and Rush are the only two characters with more than two dimensions afaic.

I can forgive all that though, because it's Sci-fi, and gods know we don't get enough of that on TV.

I agree it was not the best episode. I enjoyed the ice planet and the suits, I like the "realistic & difficult" feeling they aim for, I agree that it evokes BSG which is no sin in my book.

But both plots were bland and had many irritating question marks:

Why did they send both pilots on this dangerous mission? Especially the injured Young when the task was all about cutting and lifting heavy blocks of ice?

Why didn't they use the ice cutter thingy - OK as not to compromise the suit... but come on.

Did they really think these two bathtubs of ice would make any difference?

Did Young fall asleep when Scott was in the crevasse?

Why didn't he secure the rope holding Scott - if he didn't catch it Scott'd be gone?

The swarm thing - how did it use up 40k litres of water, evaporated it maybe? That's a lot of steam!

Why was the swarm so complacent with TJ on both occasions, I know she's hot but they were trying to kill it after all?

Why did they release the swarm in Young and Scott's face, it could have killed them there and then, for all they know it's not like the only thing it can do is bite them to death? It could have prevented them from returning in time for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Dades wrote: »
    Have enjoyed all the episodes so far - except this one, tbh.

The swarm thing was hap-hazard, completely unexplained and ripped off from The Abyss, while the ice crevasse thing seems like a time-filler, and just amounted to nothing in the end.

I'm starting to realise how little I know or care about any of the crew. The ship and Rush are the only two characters with more than two dimensions afaic.

I can forgive all that though, because it's Sci-fi, and gods know we don't get enough of that on TV.

Ehh.. they did explain it, it was from the desert planet and it came back ether with Scott or one of the other times they dialled back to Destiny. What more can they know beyond that. There was no writing or anything on the planet and Destiny doesn't seem to have any specs on the planets they go to.

I think the whole point to things like this, is to beat down the characters. Get them at the end of their rope so to speak.

Also no need so spoilers, its in the title of the thread and the ep has already aired in the UK.

Me I liked it, watched it again in HD on Sky. I'm watching it once as a download from a HDTV rip but not 720p and then a second time in 1080i on Sky one. Also recording it. (note to self, upgrade Sky HD box hard drive)

It was the least interesting episode thus far, admittedly. Looking forward to the next though.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Wow, emmmm what??? Any chance of some sentence structure???

Sentence structure is for sucker's

As for the rest of what you said your wrong in my opinion as well so lets just leave it at that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sutty wrote: »
    Ehh.. they did explain it, it was from the desert planet and it came back ether with Scott or one of the other times they dialled back to Destiny. What more can they know beyond that.
    That's not an explanation! They speculated it must have come from the desert planet. Grand so - hopefully it'll fly into a vacuum flask and allow itself to be released on an ice planet. Wtf!

Maybe if the swarm thing comes back in other episodes and is elaborated on that would go some way - but to bookend the plot like they appear to have done doesn't wash with me. It's like something they'd have in Star Trek, only we'd somehow learn something about the swarm's origins or motives before it just flew off into the night.

(I feel like such a nerd :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades wrote: »
    That's not an explanation! They speculated it must have come from the desert planet. Grand so - hopefully it'll fly into a vacuum flask and allow itself to be released on an ice planet. Wtf!

Maybe if the swarm thing comes back in other episodes and is elaborated on that would go some way - but to bookend the plot like they appear to have done doesn't wash with me. It's like something they'd have in Star Trek, only we'd somehow learn something about the swarm's origins or motives before it just flew off into the night.

(I feel like such a nerd :p)

The swarm thingy seems to have a mutual attraction to water in order to self replicate.:)
    They helped Lt Scott and only befor that dumb dumb provoking them they'd be classed as peaceful aliens.:)

Scruff wrote: »
    A mod of sci-fi AND films doesnt have a HD t.v.?? :eek:
    Thats it, Ixoy. I challenge you to a duel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Maybe The Swarm is SGU's Goa-uld/Ori/Wraith. The Swarm's thirst for water will lead them to find new drinking grounds. Earth is 2/3rds water after all. :eek: We're doomed.

Advertisement