Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it impossible to do the aus thing now that im 31

Options
  • 31-10-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

just wondering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

nah. you're one year over

you can still go on a tourist visa for 3 months though

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Your too old to go for a working holiday visa for a year, but you can still go to live up until you are 45 years of age through the migrate skills visa.
    Not sure that they are still processing these visa at the moment but still 14 years to go before your 45! :)

Otherwise its only the 3 month holiday visa, however you cannot work with this visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Dont bother with that 3 month visa, you can easily get a 6 month Tourist visa, subclas 676, and you can actually get a year out of it. Aslo using this visa you can look for sponsorship while your there, so all is possibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I'm 31 and came here on a 3 year 457 visa, teaching.

It depends on your profession and where you are willing to go. I had to go rural, but after 2 years, I'll have employer-sponsored PR. Not all 457 employers offer that PR, but some government jobs in country regions tend to so they can attract people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I would also love some information about this. However, I would plan to work.

• Advertisement

kittex wrote: »
    I'm 31 and came here on a 3 year 457 visa, teaching.

It depends on your profession and where you are willing to go. I had to go rural, but after 2 years, I'll have employer-sponsored PR. Not all 457 employers offer that PR, but some government jobs in country regions tend to so they can attract people.

How did you get the visa? Through USIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mood wrote: »

Are you having a laugh? Not something you buy over the counter

You need to find a willing Employer who would be able to sponsor you in your trade, then employer nominates you and you apply for the visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Not something you buy over the counter

You need to find a willing Employer who would be able to sponsor you in your trade, then employer nominates you and you apply for the visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

Well, obviously you don't just buy it! I should have said did you apply for it via USIT or a different organisation.

You can still go to Oz on a 6 month tourist visa and then maybe look for sponsorship when your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Well, obviously you don't just buy it! I should have said did you apply for it via USIT or a different organisation.
    you need to find a company to sponsor you, the only organisations that would do that are nurses or teacher etc ....

otherwise you need a company

• Advertisement

Beachband wrote: »
    You can still go to Oz on a 6 month tourist visa and then maybe look for sponsorship when your there.

True

Trick is that there are about 15,000 other paddies all looking the same and they have a WHV in their passport and the advantage of working for that employer for 6 months.

True

Trick is that there are about 15,000 other paddies all looking the same and they have a WHV in their passport and the advantage of working for that employer for 6 months.

But you will find allot of employers sometimes aren't really interested in people who have those WHV's cos it only allows them to employ someone for 6 months, so allot of people end up with casual jobs, and the WHV actually hinders them in finding the type of work they were not used to in Ireland.

Are the 15,000 paddies you talk about, all have the same work experience and looking for the same type of job, I would imagine not.

Without getting into other visa options, So having a WHV, you will still need an employer to sponsor you if you want to work in the same job for more than 6 months.
    Having no WHV, you will need an employer to sponsor you to work.

So depending on what your type of work/experience is. Having a WHV is no magic wand in finding a job in your fireld.
    I don't think it wil make much difference if you have a WHV or not, sponsorhip will secure you of a proper job with prospects, and the employer that you wont bugger off after a few months, and for you it could pave the way for future PR in OZ.

But you will find allot of employers sometimes aren't really interested in people who have those WHV's cos it only allows them to employ someone for 6 months, so allot of people end up with casual jobs, and the WHV actually hinders them in finding the type of work they were not used to in Ireland.

Are the 15,000 paddies you talk about, all have the same work experience and looking for the same type of job, I would imagine not.

Without getting into other visa options, So having a WHV, you will still need an employer to sponsor you if you want to work in the same job for more than 6 months.
    Having no WHV, you will need an employer to sponsor you to work.

So depending on what your type of work/experience is. Having a WHV is no magic wand in finding a job in your fireld.
    I don't think it wil make much difference if you have a WHV or not, sponsorhip will secure you of a proper job with prospects, and the employer that you wont bugger off after a few months, and for you it could pave the way for future PR in OZ.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but even looking for a job on a tourist visa will cop you a 3 year ban if caught, imagine you went for a job interview or even dropped in asking for work/sponsorship and the manager or whatever was a bit awkward (you might not realise at the time) and then phones 1800 009 623 with your Name and D.O.B. First you realise is when immigration pull you into a room on your way out of the country and invalidate your tourist visa for breech of conditions and give you a 3 year ban.

There is a duty for Companies/organisations to 'dob-in' non-visa holders seeking work and although most probably wouldn't bother you never know who is related to a member of immigration or maybe the said company has been fined for employing aliens in the past.... you just don't know!!

So the one of the difference's between a WHV and a tourist visa is only one of them is really legal to look for work, and in the eyes of DIAC the only difference between looking for work and working on a tourist visa is that you just didn't get the job that time.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but even looking for a job on a tourist visa will cop you a 3 year ban if caught, imagine you went for a job interview or even dropped in asking for work/sponsorship and the manager or whatever was a bit awkward (you might not realise at the time) and then phones 1800 009 623 with your Name and D.O.B. First you realise is when immigration pull you into a room on your way out of the country and invalidate your tourist visa for breech of conditions and give you a 3 year ban.

There is a duty for Companies/organisations to 'dob-in' non-visa holders seeking work and although most probably wouldn't bother you never know who is related to a member of immigration or maybe the said company has been fined for employing aliens in the past.... you just don't know!!

So the one of the difference's between a WHV and a tourist visa is only one of them is really legal to look for work, and in the eyes of DIAC the only difference between looking for work and working on a tourist visa is that you didn't get the job that time.

Mate where did you get this from??
    Did you read my post? I am talking about looking for sponsorship, it is perfectly legal to look for sponsorship in Oz while on a tourist visa. There is no law by the Oz government to stop someone on a tourist visa looking for sponsorship.
    Looking for work is legal, working on a tourist visa obviously isn't.
    There are job agencies in Oz who cater for people looking for sponsorship from Oz companies, So it is perfectly legal, on a tourist visa to apply for a job in Oz, but obviously stating to the employer that you need them to sponsor you to work.

Did you read my post? I am talking about looking for sponsorship, it is perfectly legal to look for sponsorship in Oz while on a tourist visa. There is no law by the Oz government to stop someone on a tourist visa looking for sponsorship.
    There are job agencies in Oz who cater for people looking for sponsorship from Oz companies, So it is perfectly legal, on a tourist visa to apply for a job in Oz, but obviously stating to the employer that you need them to sponsor you to work.

Don't suppose you know the names of any of these agencies?

Well its a grey area and can have severe consequences if caught.

To seek sponsorship you also require to seek a job for the nomination.

A tourist visa is for a Holiday and not for job seeking, it is perfectly legal to enquire about sponsorship/employment from overseas but turning up on some employers doorstep asking for work while in Australia could be viewed as a breech of visa conditions.

There is a very fine line between seeking employment and working, if a company reported that you had been seeking employment while in Australia on a tourist visa DIAC could argue that you came to Australia seeking work and had you the opportunity to work you would have accepted. You standing there with a tourist visa claiming that you were only looking for a job with sponsorship is the same thing as looking for work while on a tourist visa.

DIAC are not stupid they know Ireland is in an economic recession and young people are finding it difficult to get work.

if you ever watched Border Security..... people caught with Paperwork (ie. CV, Certificates, tradepapers) in their luggage can have their Tourist visa cancelled on the spot. Even if you scanned the documents to your hotmail and then printed them out while in Australia and give them to some employer who then passed them on to DIAC they would still have grounds to cancel your tourist visa.

Like you say there are job agencies that cater for people looking sponsorship, their job is to fill positions from candidates overseas that have the correct skills and is legal, turning up within Australian borders seeking work without the correct visa is not. It is quite acceptable for an employer to give an phone interview to a candidate in Ireland an so avoiding any misunderstandings due to visas.

Like I said its a grey area if you want to take the chance fair enough..... Point is that what you think you can do while in Australia may differ from that of Australian authorities .

Well its a grey area and can have severe consequences if caught.

To seek sponsorship you also require to seek a job for the nomination.

A tourist visa is for a Holiday and not for job seeking, it is perfectly legal to enquire about sponsorship/employment from overseas but turning up on some employers doorstep asking for work while in Australia could be viewed as a breech of visa conditions.

There is a very fine line between seeking employment and working, if a company reported that you had been seeking employment while in Australia on a tourist visa DIAC could argue that you came to Australia seeking work and had you the opportunity to work you would have accepted. You standing there with a tourist visa claiming that you were only looking for a job with sponsorship is the same thing as looking for work while on a tourist visa.

DIAC are not stupid they know Ireland is in an economic recession and young people are finding it difficult to get work.

if you ever watched Border Security..... people caught with Paperwork (ie. CV, Certificates, tradepapers) in their luggage can have their Tourist visa cancelled on the spot. Even if you scanned the documents to your hotmail and then printed them out while in Australia and give them to some employer who then passed them on to DIAC they would still have grounds to cancel your tourist visa.

Like you say there are job agencies that cater for people looking sponsorship, their job is to fill positions from candidates overseas that have the correct skills and is legal, turning up within Australian borders seeking work without the correct visa is not. It is quite acceptable for an employer to give an phone interview to a candidate in Ireland an so avoiding any misunderstandings due to visas.

Like I said its a grey area if you want to take the chance fair enough..... Point is that what you think you can do while in Australia may differ from that of Australian authorities .

Is this factual?
    I have known of people applying for jobs in Oz(no work visa), also going directly to companies that match their work credentials looking for sponsorship.
    I know the tv program your on about, watched it many times. I think they are used to people from certain Countries trying to get into Oz for specifically work reasons only, when they don't have the appropriate visa etc. They generally can't do a thing though(even if they think that someone is in the Country to look for work) if there is proof of substantial funds, once a sh*tload of cv's don't fall out of the luggage of course!

Allot of companies in areas of Oz, both regional and inner city sometimes have shortages in certain skillsets(even in today's current climate), that is why some also include sponsorship packages so not as to exclude a possible ''right'' candidate from filling the role.

I don't see how applying for i.e the above example, is in breach of your holiday visa. What DIAC care about is - are you legally entitled to be in Oz, and are you legally entitled to work(paid) in Oz.
    Applying for sponsorship(as difficult as it is) is surely a little easier on the ground than offshore.
    DIAC will of course cancel your visa if you are to be found working illegally, but what can DIAC do if you are going down the right route of seeking sponsored work legally?
    Jeez you can be on holiday anywhere and a job(with sponsorship to the right candidate) matching your skillset/experience may crop up, does that mean you can't apply for it while your there? Or you have to leave the country to apply for it?

PS: You can also study for up to 3 months, do volunteer work, on a Tourist visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Interesting that people have no issue thinking of dropping into Australia on a holiday visa and going explicitly to seek employment against the visa's terms. Yet, if this were another nationality looking to do the same in Ireland this thread would be on 10 pages at least by now.

Double standards, show you care.

I think looking for highly skilled work is a little different from looking for low skilled work mate, its perfectly legal to look, check out other definitive Oz forums before casting out your net :)

Is this factual?
    I have known of people applying for jobs in Oz(no work visa), also going directly to companies that match their work credentials looking for sponsorship.
    I know the tv program your on about, watched it many times. I think they are used to people from certain Countries trying to get into Oz for specifically work reasons only, when they don't have the appropriate visa etc. They generally can't do a thing though(even if they think that someone is in the Country to look for work) if there is proof of substantial funds, once a sh*tload of cv's don't fall out of the luggage of course!

Allot of companies in areas of Oz, both regional and inner city sometimes have shortages in certain skillsets(even in today's current climate), that is why some also include sponsorship packages so not as to exclude a possible ''right'' candidate from filling the role.

I don't see how applying for i.e the above example, is in breach of your holiday visa. What DIAC care about is - are you legally entitled to be in Oz, and are you legally entitled to work(paid) in Oz.
    Applying for sponsorship(as difficult as it is) is surely a little easier on the ground than offshore.
    DIAC will of course cancel your visa if you are to be found working illegally, but what can DIAC do if you are going down the right route of seeking sponsored work legally?
    Jeez you can be on holiday anywhere and a job(with sponsorship to the right candidate) matching your skillset/experience may crop up, does that mean you can't apply for it while your there? Or you have to leave the country to apply for it?

PS: You can also study for up to 3 months, do volunteer work, on a Tourist visa.

I have been living in Australia for 5 years on a WHV, a 457 visa and an 856 PR visa.

Yes of course I have known people look for work while on a tourist visa, I have even known Irish people to work while on a tourist visa and I know a lot of people who overstayed their WHV visa by more than 7 years.

Like a say its a grey area.

What I am saying is that seeking a job could be viewed as seeking work if you know what I mean!! And you cannot work on a holiday visa, its not so much doing the work but the intention of working they could get you on.

If you had arranged to go to Australia for an job interview then you would simply put reason of travel 'Job interview' not 'holiday' but if you are on a genuine holiday then you wouldn't be looking for work or a job (sponsorship is irrelevant).

All it takes is an awkward son-of-a-bitch employer to report you and its their word against yours.... and your the one seeking work on a holiday visa....looks bad ? Yeah at that moment yes.

You could always argue with DIAC and yes some might believe you were just looking sponsorship but what happens if you meet another awkward son-of-a-bitch?

Maybe 5 years ago I would not have worried so much about such minor details but would I give it a second thought now. YES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I think looking for highly skilled work is a little different from looking for low skilled work mate, its perfectly legal to look, check out other definitive Oz forums before casting out your net :)

Point proven. Thanks.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Interesting that people have no issue thinking of dropping into Australia on a holiday visa and going explicitly to seek employment against the visa's terms. Yet, if this were another nationality looking to do the same in Ireland this thread would be on 10 pages at least by now.

Double standards, show you care.

Yeah I am sure you are right, unfortunately with the recent media coverage of boat people and illegal immigrants.... Australian's are sick to the back teeth of people abusing immigration laws and rules. Although in this thread we are talking about people arriving on a plane seeking a job and I have seen on a few forums that these people are viewed as not much better or at least it brings it into the spotlight. DIAC have to be seen to act that they are doing the right thing.

My point is that although I understand that Beachband is 100% genuine in seeking a job and sponsorship there are many others who are not, and if offered a job would take it straight away without worrying about visa or sponsorship. It can ruin it for the people who try to do the right thing, and the authorities just claim rules are rules.

There must be plenty of people hammered by this every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

hold i thought they shifted the age up to 33 for a whv. Either way go for it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

OK, 'the Oz thing' is very vague.

If it means going t=for work at all then no, 31 is not too old.

If you have a skill in the demand list, you can do that via a 457 or the new regional PR visas. The contract is for 3 years but many people in their 30's use it for a couple of years then either get PR or go home. Personally I like my comforts and routine and the backpacking life wasn't for me anyway so it worked out well.
    You have to get this via a job that exists, a job that is advertised as providing 457 sponsorship.

If the OP means the 1 year bar, farm work etc then yes, 31 is over the age limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Elliee wrote: »
    Your too old to go for a working holiday visa for a year, but you can still go to live up until you are 45 years of age through the migrate skills visa.
    Not sure that they are still processing these visa at the moment but still 14 years to go before your 45! :)

Is it difficult to be able to stay though, I mean can anyone with a degree go and live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is it difficult to be able to stay though, I mean can anyone with a degree go and live there?

No You need to have a skill on the skills list that has a qualification (degree) and a amount of experience in that field

Advertisement