Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Sales Person Problem

Options
  • 31-10-2009 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So in PC World today buying a laptop (for Christmas from the parents to me :D), so anyway, go over to the office place when you're asked if you want some crappy 3 year warranty for €150 ( I did in my swiss), and then told that I get Office for only €80 and before I said yes to that asked if Office 2003 works (which I have a disc for) on Windows Vista and she said no, so I buy it as it's €60 cheaper than buying it without a laptop so low and behold I come home and check the internet and ask my cousin whos a computer engineer and Office 2003 DOES work on Windows Vista.

In for a refund on the Office 2007 and a letter of complaint to PC World HQ.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Title of thread edited to something less confrontational.

They missold the item, whether deliberately, or more likely, through ignorance. As long as they refund you, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I guess the sales person sold it to you purely through ignorance not trying to rip you off, look for a refund first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why buy a laptop with Vista when Windows 7 is out?
    Why did you not check Office 2003 compatibility yourself before hand?
    These days most people working in shops, know nothing about what they sell. Thats especially true in PC World.

Anyway, you should get a refund and its a good idea with the letter. The more people who do that might make them get better staff, or train them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dont you have the right to upgrade to windows 7 for free? Thought I read something about that recently. I've always found PC World staff very unknowledgeable about what they are selling. Thats if I could find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'll always cherish the memories of a pc world "salesperson" trying to sell me a belkin hdmi cable for 139. "But sir, it's 24 carat gold plated!" Good times! In general I avoid the place now at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

I was there last weak and they told me the must ram you are going to need is 2gb and they did not no how to open a camputer now that was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kc66 wrote: »
    Dont you have the right to upgrade to windows 7 for free? Thought I read something about that recently.....

I've seen it on some PC/laptops, but not all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

PC world "salespeople" are generally "il informed" at best when it comes to specifics.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Never, ever listen to the salespeole in PC World.
    Nevermind actually spending money there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you buy a machine with Vista, Ms give free upgrades to Windows 7.

This is to ensure during the month before the new OS releases that Pc sales don't grind to a halt.

Usually they include it in the box you buy the laptop with. If you didn't get one, you should ask in Pc world too about it as you should get one from them I think. At least a form to say your entitled to a free upgrade.

Also upgrade as Windows 7 is awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

kc66 wrote: »
    Dont you have the right to upgrade to windows 7 for free? Thought I read something about that recently. I've always found PC World staff very unknowledgeable about what they are selling. Thats if I could find one.

You can upgrade to Windows 7 for free if you purchased Vista anytime after June I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its not really free, depending on the manufacturer you have to pay an admin charge. Its €21 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

most companies involved in the Windows 7 upgrade scheme are asking for 19.99 for p&p.

i think Sony and Acer are looking for more..not alot more at that.

Antigone05 wrote: »
    most companies involved in the Windows 7 upgrade scheme are asking for 19.99 for p&p.

Seems like stealing TBH as they don't need extra staff to handle it I'm sure.

They will see the price of this in their bottom lines on next windows release. Why would I pay them 20 quid for nothing when I can wait until they update their procedures the lazy bastids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

AFAIK, the CDs are sent out via a courier company from the manufacturer, which requires signed delivery, hence the expense involved. I know this is certainly the case with Dell, from experience, operating system discs are sent via Interlink and require the delivery to be signed.

TBH I'd prefer if they just let me download the Windows 7 ISO, burn it to my own blank DVD, then post me out a product installation ID. Far less cost for them, far less hassle for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

5uspect wrote: »
    Never, ever listen to the salespeole in PC World.
    Nevermind actually spending money there.

I've been 'ejected' from PC world twice. The first time the customer service people were telling someone that his printer warranty was invalidated by him changing the ink cartridge and the second was someone trying to sell a gaming laptop to someone who wanted a netbook.

Said my bit on both occasions, asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

ch750536 wrote: »
    I've been 'ejected' from PC world twice. The first time the customer service people were telling someone that his printer warranty was invalidated by him changing the ink cartridge and the second was someone trying to sell a gaming laptop to someone who wanted a netbook.

Said my bit on both occasions, asked to leave.

on this occasion it's a pity that personal abuse isn't tolerated on these boards.

So you have been ejected twice from a shop and you still feel you should go inside, obviously with no intention of buying anything and listening in to other's conversations ... and then butting in?

And from what you posted there it sounds like you got the wrong end of the stick regarding the printer (the customer was probably being told about spurious inks and his warranty) and when you butted in without invitation it was right that you were thrown out of the shop. If it was me dealing with the customer i would have been really tempted to clock you one.

Nobody likes self-important condescending heros ..

whippet wrote: »
    Nobody likes self-important condescending heros ..

And nobody like being lied to. PC World are famous for this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/13/pc_world_linux/

See the comments for more examples.

The cretins who work there are known for telling blatant lies to shift crappy hardware. If I was in ch750536's shoes I would do exactly the same thing.

Fortunately is usually comes down to me telling friends before they even go near the place.

Actually the comments on that page are hillarious. This one is my personal favourite.

The TechGuys and PC World Nottingham
    I also worked for the for The TechGuys call centre and can tell you that not only are the call centre staff and store TechGuys completely different but I can remember being told that we had been banned from PC World Nottingham! It turned out that an entire team from the call centre (Team 3 as I recall) had chosen to spend part of their DSGi funded "team day" following PC World Nottingham staff and their customers around the store pointing out every mistake the staff made.... I'm not entirely sure how they all still had their voices the next day, they must've been pretty hoarse from that much talking!

Wow that was 2 years ago.

If you go into many computer stores today, you can buy a netbook with Linux preinstalled on it.

Big step in 2 years from hostility to selling the product.

Ms should be getting worried about Desktop Linux if it is progressing at this pace. Won't be long before people realise that it can run Microsoft Office and costs nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

.. I buy it as it's €60 cheaper than buying it without a laptop so low and behold I come home and check the internet and ask my cousin whos a computer engineer and Office 2003 DOES work on Windows Vista.

In for a refund on the Office 2007 and a letter of complaint to PC World HQ.:mad:

You got Office 2007 which is 4 years more up to date that 2003. Why are you complaining? Also, the sales assistant may not have known what processor was in the latop (32 or 64) so to play it safe she said it may not work. Don't think you really have a case. If your really that annoyed, save your printer ink and flog it on Buy and Sell etc.

thebman wrote: »
    Wow that was 2 years ago.

If you go into many computer stores today, you can buy a netbook with Linux preinstalled on it.

Big step in 2 years from hostility to selling the product.

Ms should be getting worried about Desktop Linux if it is progressing at this pace. Won't be long before people realise that it can run Microsoft Office and costs nothing.

Yes, but it illustrates their utter incompetence when it comes to support.
    BTW was in PC World recently. Their Linux Eee PC's have no root password. :D
    ironclaw wrote: »
    You got Office 2007 which is 4 years more up to date that 2003. Why are you complaining? Also, the sales assistant may not have known what processor was in the latop (32 or 64) so to play it safe she said it may not work. Don't think you really have a case. If your really that annoyed, save your printer ink and flog it on Buy and Sell etc.

Office 2003 > Office 2007

Office 2003 runs perfectly fine on Vista and Windows 7 and can do everything you would want from it. Office 2007 is a horrible mess. The new interface is a disaster and apparently MS are offering the option to go back to the standard UI in 2010. I don't know why they're adding to vertical toolbar space when monitors are getting wider. Especially in a word processor where you mainly use portrait documents!

You got Office 2007 which is 4 years more up to date that 2003. Why are you complaining?

Because they were lied to :confused:

Why are you posting about something you don't know about?

Office 2003 is fine and there have not been many leaps and jumps in the Office area that a home user would need or even a business user that doesn't use exchange. Office 2007 also has a complete redesign of the user interface that will mean learning how to use the program almost from scratch for a 2003 user.

Office 2007 documents saved in compatibility mode can be opened in 2003 and you can download a free plugin to support the new Office 2007 document standard or use Openoffice which supports it and is free to download and closer resembles the Office 2003 look than Office 2007.

In short, there is no reason to purchase Ms Office anymore unless you need it to access exchange or just want it because of personal preference.
    Also, the sales assistant may not have known what processor was in the latop (32 or 64) so to play it safe she said it may not work. Don't think you really have a case. If your really that annoyed, save your printer ink and flog it on Buy and Sell etc.

The sales person should have looked it up if they didn't know, not lied and sold a product based on false information. The person should ask for a refund if they want one. I'm guessing you don't work in IT since anyone that does knows PC world is probably the worst company for lying to their customers and regularly try to sell people things they don't need based on their own ignorance of the products they are selling or trying to rip the customer off. Neither is acceptable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Office 2003 is fine and there have not been many leaps and jumps in the Office area that a home user would need or even a business user that doesn't use exchange. Office 2007 also has a complete redesign of the user interface that will mean learning how to use the program almost from scratch for a 2003 user.

Office 2007 documents saved in compatibility mode can be opened in 2003 and you can download a free plugin to support the new Office 2007 document standard or use Openoffice which supports it and is free to download and closer resembles the Office 2003 look than Office 2007.

In short, there is no reason to purchase Ms Office anymore unless you need it to access exchange or just want it because of personal preference.

The sales person should have looked it up if they didn't know, not lied and sold a product based on false information. The person should ask for a refund if they want one. I'm guessing you don't work in IT since anyone that does knows PC world is probably the worst company for lying to their customers and regularly try to sell people things they don't need based on their own ignorance of the products they are selling or trying to rip the customer off. Neither is acceptable in my opinion.

I do work in IT actually. In fact I bug tested Mac Office 2007. I know all about PC World and also that they don't care about there customer base. They really don't and neither to they care about what one person says (Been there :rolleyes: ). The sales assistant could have genuinely said they didn't think it could work. Lets be honest, to joe soap, how could software from 2003 work on a 2009 machine? Its a simple mistake to make. I agree they shouldn't have sold it but the onus is equally on the buyer. Personally speaking if your sold something in the wrong by a salesperson its your own fault. Do your homework before you buy and caveat emptor :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Or because the sales guy made a mistake.

OP go into PCWorld and ask for a refund of Office. End of drama.

If they don't give you the refund then come on Boards complaining about it.

You should have really consulted your cousin who's the computer engineer (if by computer engineer you mean somebody who knows something about hardware, OSes & Software) before buying from PCWorld. I'm sure he would have saved you a few quid.

I do work in IT actually. In fact I bug tested Mac Office 2007. I know all about PC World and also that they don't care about there customer base. They really don't and neither to they care about what one person says (Been there :rolleyes: ).

I know and that is why so many people refuse to go back to their store. Its a stupid way to run a business if your in it for the long term.
    The sales assistant could have genuinely said they didn't think it could work. Lets be honest, to joe soap, how could software from 2003 work on a 2009 machine? Its a simple mistake to make.

The sales assistant is incapable of doing their job if they have that little interest in technology. Another Pc World problem. They really need to get their act together as a company.
    I agree they shouldn't have sold it but the onus is equally on the buyer. Personally speaking if your sold something in the wrong by a salesperson its your own fault. Do your homework before you buy and caveat emptor :)

I agree do your homework but so should the sales people. In general, sales people selling IT products don't seem to get that you need to know about what your selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I agree they shouldn't have sold it but the onus is equally on the buyer. Personally speaking if your sold something in the wrong by a salesperson its your own fault. Do your homework before you buy and caveat emptor :)
    The onus to provide correct, factual information is entirely on the seller! It's false selling and highly misleading to tell a customer that office 2003 will not work on Vista.

I imagine the majority of PCW customers are those who haven't a clue of the in's and out's of computers or what to look for (since those that do half a clue would know to go direct to dell, hp etc. and get custom spec machines, NOT go to PCW!). The least you could expect from them is to train staff to know what they're talking about and be able to provide staff with factual information, not half educated guesses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Antigone05 wrote: »

Acer are 14.90......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

5uspect wrote: »
    Office 2007 is a horrible mess. The new interface is a disaster

Then why did they incorporate the ribbon interface into wordpad/paint in 7? Totally disagree with you about Office 07. It's a huge improvement on 03. The new interface is unfamiliar for a couple of days but once you get used to it it's far superior. The automatic bibliography/cross-referencing/contents building and the equation editor in Word are worth it alone for their ease of use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I do work in IT actually. In fact I bug tested Mac Office 2007. I know all about PC World and also that they don't care about there customer base. They really don't and neither to they care about what one person says (Been there :rolleyes: ). The sales assistant could have genuinely said they didn't think it could work. Lets be honest, to joe soap, how could software from 2003 work on a 2009 machine? Its a simple mistake to make. I agree they shouldn't have sold it but the onus is equally on the buyer. Personally speaking if your sold something in the wrong by a salesperson its your own fault. Do your homework before you buy and caveat emptor :)

I'd be inclined to agree to a certain extent. I worked in tech support for a while- and we were pushed to upsell all sorts of products the whole time. I hated this with a passion- and used get into all sorts of trouble with my team leader for not making my weekly targets.

At the end of the day- the likes of staff in many stores who sell you electrical goods or IT products- could just as well be trained monkeys. They will in many cases suggest (if not openly state) whatever they have to do- in order to get a sale. There is an element of caveat emptor- buyer beware- but there are legions of shoppers out there who will put blind faith in what the salesperson tells them.......

If you're spending a considerable sum of money on a product (any product) you owe it to yourself to investigate that product........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement