Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Sales Person Problem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eightyfish wrote: »
    Then why did they incorporate the ribbon interface into wordpad/paint in 7? Totally disagree with you about Office 07. It's a huge improvement on 03. The new interface is unfamiliar for a couple of days but once you get used to it it's far superior. The automatic bibliography/cross-referencing/contents building and the equation editor in Word are worth it alone for their ease of use.

The lack of backwards compatability with some old versions of Word Documents, and Word Perfect formats- is a worry- particularly for older people who are being blindly pushed into buying these products.

Even Open Office has incorporated anti-aliasing into its suite now- and looks a lot more professional than the rudimentary packaged used do (plus- rather bizarrely- it maintains backward compatability with some of the older Microsoft Office suites). Personally I ensure I also install Open Office on any machines I am requested put Office 2007 (or later) on. Its a pain- but it saves a hell of a lot of future frustration........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

whippet wrote: »
    on this occasion it's a pity that personal abuse isn't tolerated on these boards.

So you have been ejected twice from a shop and you still feel you should go inside, obviously with no intention of buying anything and listening in to other's conversations ... and then butting in?

And from what you posted there it sounds like you got the wrong end of the stick regarding the printer (the customer was probably being told about spurious inks and his warranty) and when you butted in without invitation it was right that you were thrown out of the shop. If it was me dealing with the customer i would have been really tempted to clock you one.

Nobody likes self-important condescending heros ..

:D

What a load of bull****.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Then why did they incorporate the ribbon interface into wordpad/paint in 7? Totally disagree with you about Office 07. It's a huge improvement on 03. The new interface is unfamiliar for a couple of days but once you get used to it it's far superior. The automatic bibliography/cross-referencing/contents building and the equation editor in Word are worth it alone for their ease of use.

I have no idea why! The ribbon, to me, looks like an attempt to copy the panel UI in the likes of Photoshop. But instead of putting it on the side of the screen they stuck it on top.

TBH I use LaTeX and jabref for all my writing and referencing needs.
    They're far superior to Word for such things, especially equations!
    If MS have improved these features in Word, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Oh for the love of God - When did Consumer Issues turn into Technical Issues?

Guys, if you want to debate the merits of Microsoft vs LaTeX vs Linux vs whatever else, take it to the appropriate forum.

This thread has expanded to 3 pages with nearly no posts pertaining to the original Consumer Issue.

Back on topic please.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

ch750536 wrote: »
    :D

What a load of bull****.

could you explain why you feel the need to go in to PC world on a regular basis if you clearly don't want to give them any business .. is it just to annoy people .. if so your actions speak volumes about the type of person you are.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    could you explain why you feel the need to go in to PC world on a regular basis if you clearly don't want to give them any business .. is it just to annoy people .. if so your actions speak volumes about the type of person you are.

No, not explaining myself to you. Keep it on topic and stop threatening violence, thats best done in PM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

No, not explaining myself to you. Keep it on topic and stop threatening violence, thats best done in PM's.

where did I threaten anyone?

So you can't / won't explain why you feel its alright to hang around PC World interfering?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

whippet and ch750536

Stop this sniping at each other. Take it to PM, or you will be taking an enforced break from Consumer Issues

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I've been 'ejected' from PC world twice. The first time the customer service people were telling someone that his printer warranty was invalidated by him changing the ink cartridge and the second was someone trying to sell a gaming laptop to someone who wanted a netbook.

Said my bit on both occasions, asked to leave.

Impressive :rolleyes: I work in retail part-time(3rd year college) and I love guys like you.

You come accross as one of those retail-nightmare customers that get as little customer service as they probably deserve. Always trying to be one on top in terms of intellegence, knowledge of Consumer Rights or Product knowledge. I have to deal with people like you quite regularily and the laugh always turns back on them ;)

Places like PC world need people like me to keep them in place. I appreciate you are looking at retail as a profession and as such are probably far more qualified than the staff in PC world. Truth is, the issue is at the corporate level.

The business strategy of places like PC world is to sell to the ill informed as this is a group that can be extremely profitable. Trying to sell good machines to the technically educated means it is difficult to generate a profit in a flooded market.

So they have a strategy that works but depends upon people not knowing what they are buying & not fully understanding why they are buying it.

This is where I come in. I will take every opportunity to put some balance into the equation. This means that if I am sent to PC world to pick up blank CD's and I see someone being ill advised then yes I will step in and assist them rather than ignore them and see them lose money in exactly the same way as I would stop to give someone a lift if I thought they needed it.

I am certainly qualified to give expert knowledge on anything computing, I would be reasonably certain that I am more qualified than any PC world retail assistant. I am also impartial.

So it baffles me as to why people complain that I am helping people in PC world. If more of us did this there would be less consumer issues. I didn't tell anyone to go elsewhere, I simply told one person to buy the machine they came in for, they didn't need the other machine & I told another chap that he had not invalidated his warranty by changing the ink cartridge.

What people should be questioning is why on two occasions where I helped other people like me did PC world see fit to eject me?

A: They have a strategy based on selling to people who do not fully understand what they are buying or why they are buying it.

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Impressive :rolleyes: I work in retail part-time(3rd year college) and I love guys like you.

You come accross as one of those retail-nightmare customers that get as little customer service as they probably deserve. Always trying to be one on top in terms of intellegence, knowledge of Consumer Rights or Product knowledge. I have to deal with people like you quite regularily and the laugh always turns back on them ;)

Laughing at your customers is not a great way to retain customers.
    But as long as you're not telling your customers lies.

I have never interfered with any sales staff in any store, although I have had to bite my lip several times. I try to avoid the sales staff in PC world, they never have a clue about anything other than an a desire to sell you overpriced USB or HDMI cables and useless extended warrenties. I usually go in find what I need and get out.

One time I do remember sticking my oar in was to a couple looking perplexed in front of the Anti-Virus software with a copy of Norton in their hands. I quietly informed them, there was no sales staff, that Norton was rubbish and showed them a much better program on the next shelf. I also informed them of several free alternatives that were in fact better. They bought my recommended software in the end.

DSGi would do better to have educated staff giving their customers honest and factual information about what they're buying. Instead they're obsessed in selling crap to their customers at over inflated prices and then going in for the hard sell with their extended warranties.

Many people find computers and digital cameras complicated and difficult. This isn't helped by staff that tell you rubbish about megapixels and needing a machine with 4GB of RAM to surf the internet and write Word Documents.

If one of theses guys tried to do that to me I would too laugh and turn my back on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I was a PC salesperson in DSG about nine years ago. You're basically an insurance salesman. The most important thing is to sell that coverplan as it is nearly 100% profit, and you will literally tell the customer anything so they buy it. All the pressure from management is to get this stuff sold. DSG may make €50 on the PC, but they make a full €150 on the coverplan.

Also, it is true that a lot of the time the staff don’t know what they're talking about- or at least distort the truth so you buy more stuff. Remember, these guys are on commission - so they're salespeople, not technicians. I learned most of what I know about computers from working in an IT company after I left DSG. When I think of the rubbish I told people to make a sale I get annoyed with myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Places like PC world need people like me to keep them in place. I appreciate you are looking at retail as a profession and as such are probably far more qualified than the staff in PC world. Truth is, the issue is at the corporate level.
    Well done dude, FIGHT THE POWAH!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

OP - any update on PC world and your refund? Have you received it yet? Did they take back Office without any problems?

Most important is if he installed it or not.

IIRC, declining the licence means you get a refund, isn't this MS policy? Sure it says somewhere 'if you dont agree with the licence return this software to the vendor for a refund.'

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Remember, these guys are on commission - so they're salespeople, not technicians.

Uh, no they're not on commision.

You have to remember guys, we are talking about staff that are being paid the minimum-wage, possibly a little higher. We are not talking about employing qualified staff who require technical knowledge. What retail store actually does higher qualified staff to run a shop at a customer based level? Of course there are shops like richersounds that fortunetly do hire staff with knowledge of their products but when you compare the amount of employees, retail outlets and amount of turn over within that organisation, with DSG - There is quite a difference. Unfortunetly when you are dealing with such a large scale retail outlet with what (40,000 employees) in reality i'm sure it is next to impossible for each and every possible future employee to be interviewed to such a personal level assessing their individual knowledge of IT products. Unfortunetly it's not going to happen and with PC world(DSG) being such a large organisation and dealing with a massive customer footflow it seems that PC World seem to always get the bottom of the stick.

Tell me, apart from PC World or Currys name a similar organisation that operates as large of a chain of stores, has as large of a selection of Products and offereing them as cheap as you will find in retail stores? You will find it quite hard to find such a thing. If you really did alot of research and compared Laptop or Desktop prices & specification you will find it hard to find the same cheaper in another retail store. Albeit, their staff may not have the sufficient knowledge to sell it 100% accuratly, but they do carry a huge stock of Hardware. Harveys don't carry anywhere as decent spec par price machines as DSG stores do.

I know customer service in general is bad in DSG, I am not for 1 minute condoning it but it really isn't the worst by far that I have come accross. (Any one ever deal with dunnes or tesco staff? :) )

Completely agree with that, however, 'I dont know' or 'I can find out for you' are two very acceptable responses.

As a MS seller they should be able to find the answers quick enough.

Completely agree with that, however, 'I dont know' or 'I can find out for you' are two very acceptable responses.

As a MS seller they should be able to find the answers quick enough.

You are correct but I'll assume they really didn't know and lied. Unfortunetly this carry on is not only limited to retail stores, many other organisations also may not be 100% truthful regarding what is coming out of "sales persons " mouths ;)

I think most complaints or frustrations stem from issues regarding product faults. I've spent many years in retail (while in college) and I also would do my best to aid customer issues and also had a great knowledge about electronic products, But unfortunetly aiding problems with consumer electronics can be a longer process than a customer expects to recieve. From my experience I have found this to be the main cause of alot of issues in Electronic Retail. It also frustrates me seeing topics as such because every "salesman" seems to get tarred with the same brush because I guarentee you would be wrong if you accuse me of lieing, not knowing consumer rights, not knowing what I am talking about regarding my product knowledge.

Back to my main point, yes most DSG staff aren't technicaly qualified staff;
    Do employees in clothing retail stores hold a qualification in fashion design?
    Do employees in food outlets qualified nutritionists?

DSG employ people to work for sub €10 / hour. (As do Harvey norman, Power City, DiD) If they were to pay large salaries to qualified it wouldn't be worth their while operating. Walk into Power City and ask a member of staff a technical question such as (1)the exact resolution a perticular TV runs at or (2) what Version of HDMI the TV supports and they might struggle to answer of the top of their heads as would most employees in these retail giants.

I would expect, at least, honesty. If a customer asked a difficult question then I would rather the salesperson go and try to find out rather than making something up.

The main problem is not their inability to answer technical questions but telling punters who know next to nothing about technology a load of bull**** about how they'll need a quad core to run the new version of Office etc.

I know its a business what works on maximising profits (and paying staff peanuts) but their public image is so low among most techy people that many people are simply advised to avoid the place. Public image goes a long way to the long term success of a business.
    Do employees in food outlets qualified nutritionists?
    There is no such thing as a nutritionist. The protected term is Dietician. :p
    That is why crooks like Gillian McKeith get away with their nonsense.

5uspect wrote: »

There is no such thing as a nutritionist. The protected term is Dietician. :p
    That is why crooks like Gillian McKeith get away with their nonsense.

I knew that didn't sound correct.. :o :pac:

Uh, no they're not on commision.

Well we worked on commission when I worked there, but that was a few years ago. Maybe it's different now. Surely there's still a bonus for selling coverplan?

• Advertisement

Well we worked on commission when I worked there, but that was a few years ago. Maybe it's different now. Surely there's still a bonus for selling coverplan?

No bonus.

No bonus.

Not deserved
    :P

No bonus.

Feckin' hell. It was possible, with a little effort, to make a fair amount of money back then. We were on 1%. 10-15 computers a week and you were smiling. Pity the staff now if they're just on basic, wonder how management keep the pressure on. Wonder how the changeover to 0% went.

OP - any follow-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BlubberyGiraffe

Jaysus, I work in PC World. Only been there a few weeks. I had no idea the company had such a bad reputation! I can see where you're all coming from. Everyone has their own way of dealing with the customer though.

Generally, I dont BS them. If something is a rip off, I wont sell them it. Also, there is no commission but we do have our managers down our necks about the insurance, which, unless its at max 1/5 of the cost... I wont bother selling. I generally dont tell customers something unless I 100% know wtf I am talking about.

We're not all money hungry, Ill informed Idiots :)

Why do they have such a bad reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Feckin' hell. It was possible, with a little effort, to make a fair amount of money back then. We were on 1%. 10-15 computers a week and you were smiling. Pity the staff now if they're just on basic, wonder how management keep the pressure on. Wonder how the changeover to 0% went.

OP - any follow-up?

It didn't the poster is talking out their arse, of course they are still on commission.

My cousin is a departmental manger for DSG and says they are the worst company they have ever had the sorry misfortune of working with, most of the shrinkage is from the top as when it is audit time the managers go ape when the audit is done correctly and the missing stock is discovered and then have the staff moved on to another in the chain to cover their tracks.

Please lock Dudara, its run its course.

It didn't the poster is talking out their arse, of course they are still on commission..

We're not on commission. I think I'd know if I was getting commission..:confused:

Well then you have negotiated a very poor contract then.

Who in their right mind would work in sales without commission???

MC

Well then you have negotiated a very poor contract then.

Who in their right mind would work in sales without commission???

MC

Recession dude. I am in my 4th year of college, a 20 hour a week job close to home. Pretty cushy IMO. And they're not that bad to work for either!

Any jobs a job. Anyone who got themselves a job in the last 6 months i'd consider very lucky, I know I am! Now i can actually get stuff for people for christmas.

I appreciate what you are saying and you seem well informed on the tech issues but I can tell you their management structure is rotten as is their corporate moral, they as has been said sell to the uninformed using lies and confusion.

• Advertisement

Recession dude. I am in my 4th year of college, a 20 hour a week job close to home. Pretty cushy IMO. And they're not that bad to work for either!

Any jobs a job. Anyone who got themselves a job in the last 6 months i'd consider very lucky, I know I am! Now i can actually get stuff for people for christmas.

Feel for you bud, hope it works out. PM me any funny stories you have in the future, I always like to read these. Am sure the people you are buying stuff for wouldn.t mind less stuff, you're a student....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement