Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop - Computer Connection, etc...

• 31-10-2009 3:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a new laptop there for Christmas off the parents (I know 2 months early but it's for college) and wondering a few things:

1. Easy way to transfer an iTunes library from the computer to the laptop (note not all the songs were burned onto iTunes, some were dragged from other sources e.g. My Music).
    2. How to set up a network, so I can use the computer/printer from my laptop (have a wireless connection)
    3. Also looking to transfer a few GB of photos, and stuff over aswell
    4. Is there any way of transferring programmes over to the laptop or would I just have to use them over the network?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

using programs over the network is possible - it is however, not at all recommended. the loading times are god awful. tried this with open office at work for a bit of a laugh. took 5 minutes to get past the splash screen. you will actually want to install fresh instances of the programs you want to use onto your laptop.

help files on the pc will help you with networking. file transfers over air can be slow. unless you have N or dualband G dont expect to stream too much in realtime. but im speaking from an wrt54g which doesnt have the juice In my exp to even really stream songs efficiently.

as for itunes, google it: http://www.google.com/search?q=copy+itunes+library+to+new+computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What's the best way to transfer files over from a computer to a laptop? External hard-drive?

Also on the iTunes I didn't have "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" ticked, is there a while or doing that now?

External drive is easilly fastest, second only to a direct USB Transfer Cable. USB 2.0 @ 480mbps max vs. Ethernet Wire @ 100mbps max vs. Wireless G @ 54mbps max

Go to start and type Windows Easy Transfer ;)

All sorted minus setting up the network.

well open up the help and support program via start start asking it questions

actually you can ask the start bar questions and it will provide answer half the time :D

youre going to have to add the printer, for a start. type print into start to get underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Gavin, for future reference take a look @ http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro

It's a HTTP server in a single standalone executable that when run on the source Windows machine will allow you to select individual files, folders, or entire drives to be made available on your network temporarily (only as long as the app is running).

I've used this in the past to transfer over 20 gigabytes of MP3's from one of my pc's to another across a wired network and had no trouble with it at all.

When you run the app, go to 'Menu' -> 'Add Folder From Disk', browse to the folder you want to make available, select the aforementioned folder, and then select 'Real Folder' in the dialog that pops up. Take note of the IP address at the top of the application's window and type it into the browser on your target machine - you should be presented with a web page listing what you made available on the source machine. If you want to copy across the entire contents of a folder then select 'Folder Archive' on the right-hand side of the web page and you browser will download everything in that directory in a tar ball which you can later extract with 7-Zip - > http://www.7-zip.org/

If you need help with it just reply and I'll get back to you.

Cheers gents. Prob won't get around to doing the network till the weekend at the earliest but I'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement