Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotta love godamn guns

Options
  • 31-10-2009 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Ya know, I was always a gun fiend. Loved the look of guns. The sound of guns. The mechanic of clip, magazine and bolt. The whole enchilada. From when I was 5 years old. Enjoyed my first plastic winchester repeater and colt .45 when I played cowboy at 8. Enjoyed the A-team and my m-16 at 11.

Enjoyed the thrill of the Guns of Navarone and The Dirty Dozen.

Enjoyed all that stuff and loved the allure of the gun. The power it held in its grasp. And I don't believe that anyone ever who shot a gun for the first time didn't feel that power.

Then at aged 35 I applied for and got my first licence. I got my .22 and went shooting targets. And I loved it and still do.

Heckler.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Heckler wrote: »
    Ya know, I was always a gun fiend. Loved the look of guns. The sound of guns. The mechanic of clip, magazine and bolt. The whole enchilada. From when I was 5 years old. Enjoyed my first plastic winchester repeater and colt .45 when I played cowboy at 8. Enjoyed the A-team and my m-16 at 11.

Enjoyed all that stuff and loved the allure of the gun. The power it held in its grasp. And I don't believe that anyone ever who shot a gun for the first time didn't feel that power.

Then at aged 35 I applied for and got my first licence. I got my .22 and went shooting targets. And I loved it and still do.

Heckler.

erm... slightly speechless here......... its actually the hunting part i appreciate more... the fieldcraft etc... the actual firearm i would employ only as a tool... not sure how to take this post?? i think using the words "gun fiend" wont go down too well on this forum... i can see a lock here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

flanum wrote: »
    erm... slightly speechless here......... its actually the hunting part i appreciate more... the fieldcraft etc... the actual firearm i would employ only as a tool... not sure how to take this post?? i think using the words "gun fiend" wont go down too well on this forum... i can see a lock here!

Okey Dokey. Snare a rabbit and beat it to death with your hammer. Sure, it's only a tool. Well done. This isn't the hunting forum, it's the shooting forum.

Heckler.

p.s. read the op man. It's an homage to kids and toys. Don't be so straight up about stuff. Relax about your locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Some times when I'm cleaning my guns I am reminded ofan episode of Sledge Hammer in bed talking to a tender loved one lying beside him saying sweet nothings...camera pans over to a 44 magnum revolver lying on the pillow beside him:D
    there is a serious peice of craft and workmanship in a well made firearm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got to love the scene in "4 Layer Cake" with Colom Meaney and Daniel Craig when Craig's chacter discovers Meany has a load of guns in his apartment.
    Meaney strips down Luger onto the table. Looks at Craig.Craig returns the look,both look at the stripped Luger

Craig; "You look like you can do that blindfolded?"
    Meaney "I can and I do..I find it very relaxing.A form of meditation."
    Meaney " See meditation is a form of concentration.A relaxation of the mind on a mundane task.So the rest of the mind finds peace.
    Craig "And you find peace with guns?"
    Meaney Chuckles.. "On Occasion...Has been known..!"

Sums it ip beautifully.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Heckler wrote: »

Heckler.

Know exactly what you mean:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'm a bit of crossbreed, I love handling my guns but I also love the hunting aspects. I probably enjoy sneaking up on a hare or a rabbit without a gun to hand as much sneaking up on it while hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

okey dokey...

apologies.. i just thought it wouldnt be the best point of references for media to hit in these current climes of media "gun culture".... that is all..!

if your talkin about the "guns and kids" scenario we all went thru.... i distinctly remember running behind my uncle (while he was slowly walking) stalking a bunny and he let me bring my toy rifle with me... all of a sudden he stopped. so i stopped, he shouldered the laranga s/s, i shouldered me "made in taiwan" plastic ak.. ................. i fired... the plastic gun made a rediculous space/industrial noise... scared all bunnies away.. me uncle just laughed... thats how i got into "guns" circa '1976...

since then ive started to appreciate the mechanics of them all.. yes they are bloody well made machines.. that mechanical know-how built america!! im now starting to get into "scopes" and all that is involved.. "moa/poi/poa/.milldots etc"...

its just the title of this thread screamed sunday world headlines at me!,,, im away to walk for the entire day at pheasents.... its pissin rain so waitin for a break.... i do actually love this lifestyle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would tend more towards the antique side of things, If there were reasonable accommodations given to antique gun collectors I'd have a serious collection by now. As it happened I was given the run around for so long waiting for licences I ended up spending my money on coke and hookers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

kowloon wrote: »
    I would tend more towards the antique side of things, If there were reasonable accommodations given to antique gun collectors I'd have a serious collection by now. As it happened I was given the run around for so long waiting for licences I ended up spending my money on coke and hookers. ;)

Money well spent there lad!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yea went for the safer option there kowloon:D:D Them ould guns could kill yea;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I ended up spending my money on coke and hookers. ;)

I'm sure you meant thatkind of little boat they have in Galwaybut what i can't figure out is since they are sail boats what do you want all that coal for??
    some people have dirty minds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or you want a certain type of Rugby player????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

When I was a young lad I had a gunsmith friend whose main business was restoration of antique firearms and maintenance of quality shotguns. When a job was completed we took them to the range for testing (as you would). It was great craic trying flintlocks and percussion pistols, he even lent me a Boss side by side to go shooting crows. They were simpler happier times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Simpler happier times indeed, but they're gone now, what with all the drive by musketings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Simpler happier times indeed, but they're gone now, what with all the drive by musketings.

Ride by musketings you mean....on horseback with a super duper black bull pup silenced night sight equipped full automatic Brown Bess 17 that could kill a man from 117345 miles away.

Advertisement