Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Renn wrote: »
    Where were you sitting before I go on another rant? :D

Two rows in front of those guys unfortunately.

I was very quiet, sucked mints and made sure I didn't kick the chairs in front of me :) <--- Ideal cinema attendee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Heh, the guy with the tesco bag near the end? :)

Heh, the guy with the tesco bag near the end? :)

Never seen him, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. The IFI had those tiresome introductions at their essential cinema season as well.

I think great cinema should be able to speak for itself. I don't need some self appointed expert contextualising it for me.

Yeah. The IFI had those tiresome introductions at their essential cinema season as well.

I think great cinema should be able to speak for itself. I don't need some self appointed expert contextualising it for me.

Yeah, the guy in IFI went on a little too much.

At The Roaring Twenties screening, the guy was discussing real life gangsters etc and this old guy turned around to us and said:

"Yeah, but he never mentioned that the guy only had one eye that he lost in a street fight.."

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Loved Blue Velvet. now I want to see every other Lynch film on the big screen. Especially Inland Empire :D

Inland Empire was the only other one I've seen on the big screen, such an unsettling experience. And a brilliant one too.

Wish IFI would do a Lynch season again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Inland Empire was the only other one I've seen on the big screen, such an unsettling experience. And a brilliant one too.

Wish IFI would do a Lynch season again.

They had a restored version of Eraserhead on a year or two ago, it was an... intense experience on the big screen. Saw Inland Empire twice when it was out, but IFI's screen 2 isn't the best place for a three hour long David Lynch mindf**k :pac:

Really? Never heard about that. Pity.

I saw it in screen 1 thankfully.

Somebody pinch me :D
    The Screen Cinema: Putting classics back on the big screen.

The Screen Cinema is delighted to announce a season of 80s blockbusters that will complement the new summer releases that our sister cinema the Savoy will be playing this summer.This June, if there's something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters! Watch the unlikely heroes as they save 1980’s New York. They ain’t afraid of no ghost.

Goonies never say die! On the first of July we will host a special screeningof he classic adventure movie The Goonies. To make it extra special, we're making it socially acceptable to dress up as piratesin the cinema. In fact, we're actively encouraging it!

I feel the need, the need for Screen! Celebrate the 4th of July with the ultimate all-American boys with Top Gun.

To whet your appetite for October's Scream Cinema Monster Mash horror seasonwe bring you a little taster with one of themost iconic 80’s horror films, Gremlins this July. Gremlins' mix of jumps and humour embodies everything Scream cinema is about .

In August, celebrate youth, friendship, and the everlasting magic of the movies with a film that embodies everything we love about cinema and the Screen. The arthouse movie of the 80s chosen by Screen Staff — Cinema Paradiso.

Have the time of your life and swoon over the Swayze in his heyday in Dirty Dancing in August.

You can’t celebrate the 80’s without honoring the creator of the brat pack and the king of the teen flick. John Hughes, who so sadly died last summer was a man who really understand what it means to be a teenager. He put their angst and humour up on the big screen in a way that had never been done before. He captured their youthful exuberance and put together the story of teenage life in a way that connected with teenagers the world over. This August we will be playing a week of his top 3 films; the emotional rollercoaster The Breakfast Club, the magical Pretty in Pink nd the downright hilarious Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

If John Hughes was king of the teen movie then there’s only one true king of the summer action movie... Arnie! In July we are bringing you Team Screen’s favourite Arnie blockbusters Predator, Terminator and Conan the Barbarian.

All brawn and enough brains to be governor of California, the one, the only Arnold Schwarznegger is a force of nature, embodying the overt machismo that was so rampant in Reagan-era U.S.A. Come join us for some of his most thrilling forays into the action genre with his

Screen Blogspot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Holy moly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'd love if Ferris was on during working hours. I'd take the day off just make it the perfect screening.

Also note that they hint that there will be other movies in their "Scream Monster Movie Mash" and also that the Savoy will be showing classics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

So Screen are getting a lot of my money this summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If John Hughes was king of the teen movie then there’s only one true king of the summer action movie... Arnie! In July we are bringing you Team Screen’s favourite Arnie blockbusters Predator, Terminator and Conan the Barbarian.

All brawn and enough brains to be governor of California, the one, the only Arnold Schwarznegger is a force of nature, embodying the overt machismo that was so rampant in Reagan-era U.S.A. Come join us for some of his most thrilling forays into the action genre with his
    This will be truely epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

OutlawPete wrote: »

Screen Blogspot

:eek::eek::D:D:)
    WOW!!!!!!! cant wait for these!!!!!
    Thats a definite!
    Anyone got any ideas of the dates that there on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Screen Blogspot

aww, wish they were showing different John Hughes movies.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    aww, wish they were showing different John Hughes movies.

The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink are great.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a horrible film though. Can't stand that scumbag Broderick and the main character is such a contemptible prick... I've never understood how such a selfish character is supposed to be appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a horrible film though. Can't stand that scumbag Broderick and the main character is such a contemptible prick... I've never understood how such a selfish character is supposed to be appealing.

Never really got into the breakfast club, think I was a bit young for it when I first saw it. I've heard of pretty in pink many times but I'm actually not sure if I've seen it.

I love 'Planes, trains and automobiles' and 'Uncle Buck'

Let's not forget Maid in Manhattan... actually let's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

They NEED to show Weird Science..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Screen Blogspot

Holy Jeebus :eek:
    So much nostalgia there!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

ghostbusters.jpg

I just shot ectoplasm all over the place in excitement.

Screen blog

June 21st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

id do anything to see jurassic park on the big screen, I missed it when I was younger, its my favourite movie, anyone know if its being played anywhere

also any bruce lee movies?

Well the Screen cinema have a little ballot box in their lobby where you can vote for films you want to see.

That's how this current crop were selected.

It's the very definition of a film you grow out of, when you're 12/13 it's the ultimate sick day fantasy but as you grow older you notice just what an absolute prick Ferris is and you can't help but pray that he gets caught and his legs broken. I like to think, as it seems many others do that the entire film takes place in Camerons mind as he suffers a brain aneurism/mental breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

This... Is... AMAZING!!!! :D CANT WAIT!!! Gonna go seem em all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I like to think, as it seems many others do that the entire film takes place in Camerons mind as he suffers a brain aneurism/mental breakdown.
    It's amazing the way even tho this film had been around since 1986 this theory only started surfacing after the release of Fight Club. I guess people will see whatever they want to see. You'd have to ask if Cameron is imagining the movie then why are there all these cut scenes of Principal Rooney and Jeanie? Why is Cameron testing his imaginary friend rather than the other way round during the swimming pool scene? Etc etc

Why not stop there either? Was the movie Amelie all in the imagination of the middle aged man who had lost his childhood toy-box? I mean you could apply this theory to practically any movie that isn't entirely 100% grounded. It'd be better to find evidence or hints in FBDO as why it might be imagined and I for one don't really see any. Fun theory but on the scale of theories it is a very very bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

When is Ghostbusters on dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

trying to buy my ticket for it now and not authorising my laser card eeep is it sold out?

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    It's amazing the way even tho this film had been around since 1986 this theory only started surfacing after the release of Fight Club. I guess people will see whatever they want to see. You'd have to ask if Cameron is imagining the movie then why are there all these cut scenes of Principal Rooney and Jeanie? Why is Cameron testing his imaginary friend rather than the other way round during the swimming pool scene? Etc etc

Why not stop there either? Was the movie Amelie all in the imagination of the middle aged man who had lost his childhood toy-box? I mean you could apply this theory to practically any movie that isn't entirely 100% grounded. It'd be better to find evidence or hints in FBDO as why it might be imagined and I for one don't really see any. Fun theory but on the scale of theories it is a very very bad one.

I heard the theory well before Fight Club, it would at least explain some of the scenes which have absolutely no grounding in reality, the parade scene stands as one of the all time wtf moments in 80s cinema. People aren't saying that it was a deliberate undertaking to offer the illusion of it all taking place in Cameron's imagination,it's just a nice way of looking at the film and if it were true it would explain how they made a douche bag such as Ferris the most popular person in the world.

Advertisement