Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Ah Alien and Aliens were savage 2nite!! :D

Saw Alien the other week so didn't do the double bill but Aliens was brilliant! Except the heat in the cinema was unreal! Also kinda annoyed with the sound leaking from the other screens but got over that after a while!

Life of Brian next tuesday! Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Aliens was such and insult to the first movie, Cameron should be shot. The acting was like fast and the furious with Guns and Aliens.

kerash wrote: »
    Aliens was such and insult to the first movie, Cameron should be shot. The acting was like fast and the furious with Guns and Aliens.

There's no comparison between the two movies! One is a horror and the other a Thriller. Completely different styles, moods and characters! I love the first but I enjoy the 2nd way more. Banter is great, off camera remarks from Hudson are gold! And there are way more Aliens in it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Skinfull wrote: »
    There's no comparison between the two movies! One is a horror and the other a Thriller. Completely different styles, moods and characters! I love the first but I enjoy the 2nd way more. Banter is great, off camera remarks from Hudson are gold! And there are way more Aliens in it! :D
    You're right there, no comparison as the first one is a brilliant piece of sci-fi and the second a crappy re-hash. I really hate when a director doesn't give the audience any credit and serves us up an action movie without intelligence, logic or soul. If it's better because it's got bigger guns, more aliens and dumb lines then okay but it's not for me.
    The banter is dumb and should have been left out along with Burkes character going with Ripley and the crew, it ruined any shred of credibility the movie had.
    It could have been great but alas, no thank you Mr. Cameron!

Last Action Hero - Monday in the Screen.
    Life of Brian - Tuesday in the Screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I cannot wait!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Great stuff last night, forgot just how long Last Action Hero was.

Does dip in the middle somewhat, but finishes off great.

Life Of Brian tonight (8.50pm) which I may have to miss as John Cougar Mellencamp is playing tonight also :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You're right there, no comparison as the first one is a brilliant piece of sci-fi and the second a crappy re-hash. I really hate when a director doesn't give the audience any credit and serves us up an action movie without intelligence, logic or soul. If it's better because it's got bigger guns, more aliens and dumb lines then okay but it's not for me.
    The banter is dumb and should have been left out along with Burkes character going with Ripley and the crew, it ruined any shred of credibility the movie had.
    It could have been great but alas, no thank you Mr. Cameron!

Just...no. Aliens is one of the best sequels ever, no intelligence, logic or soul? really? were you even watching it?

Life of Brian Tonight! WOO!!! So effing excited! going with a bunch of mates from way back in the day and expect the atmo to be popping!!!

He's not the messiah! He's a naughty boy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

You're right there, no comparison as the first one is a brilliant piece of sci-fi and the second a crappy re-hash.

There are a lot of things that can be said about Aliens, but that it is a re-hash of the first one is not one of them. In fact, one of the main things to its credit, which you simply would not get in contemporary sequels, is that it's a totally different film from the first one.

• Advertisement

I feel like there is a gap in my cinema calendar! Alien, Aliens, Life of Brian... now I have to go back to mainstream in cineworld! More classics please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I feel like there is a gap in my cinema calendar! Alien, Aliens, Life of Brian... now I have to go back to mainstream in cineworld! More classics please!

Ask and you shall recieve;

tron-original-vertical-1280x960.jpg?w=1280

Screen Cinema, Monday 4th July 20.50

Dang. Home sick with a chest infection. Not too bummed as I saw this last year on teh big screen. But still... whats coming up on the classics lineup?

Outlaw? You're in the know... share with us!

True Lies (1994)
    l111503d5295bcb.jpg
    Screen Cinema
    Mon 11th July @ 20:15

Badlands (1973)
    10121968poster1f.jpg
    IFI Cinema
    Tues 12th July @ 18:40

Withnail & I (1987)
    withnailposter.jpg
    Screen Cinema
    Tues July 26th @ 20:40

True Lies, will definitely be there. Can't wait, should be a good one.

Bill Paxton, what an animal.

Cant wait for True Lies! :D

Any good classics up for August, hoping theres one on for my bday like last year, Pretty in pink :D

Triple Bill is on this Saturday in town! All welcome! Quizzes, drinking games (optional of course!) and a prize for the best movie themed tee-shirt.
    -link in my signature!

222317_183589521689329_182277351820546_435535_7917196_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Is that ticketed skinful or still just pay on the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cant wait for True Lies! :D

Any good classics up for August, hoping theres one on for my bday like last year, Pretty in pink :D

Are they showing Mississippi Burning does anyone know?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Are they showing Mississippi Burning does anyone know?

Only way to get them to show a specific classic is to bug them about it ;)

Seriously, almost all of what the Screen have shown, have been down to suggestions they have received back when asking via their Twitter page.

• Advertisement

Casablanca: live screening with full RTÉ Concert Orchestra @ The National Concert Hall.

Friday 5th & Saturday 6th August, 8pm.

Fancy spending an evening in Rick's Café Américain? Join us for the European premiere of this timeless classic, reinvigorated with the accompaniment of the full RTÉ Concert Orchestra with an iconic score by Max Steiner, conducted by John Wilson.

Bogey and Bergman, as time goes by you will remember this!

https://www.nch.ie/online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=525EAA7C-23A1-4882-A2FF-1018532886F6

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Is that ticketed skinful or still just pay on the door?

Just pay at the door. Didn't get round to organising tickets. Will do for the next one. Really looking forward to this now! was nervous about equipment but its all fallen together really well! :D

*uh oh... I just jinxed it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The Helix is showing some films over the next few months for anyone who's interested
    http://www.thehelix.ie/whatson_special.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

eh i dunno wrote: »
    The Helix is showing some films over the next few months for anyone who's interested
    http://www.thehelix.ie/whatson_special.htm

Nice work!

Whos heading to Triple Bill 2nite? :D Cant wait!

Whos heading to Triple Bill 2nite? :D Cant wait!

Me!!! Remember, there is a prize for the best voted movie / tv themed tee shirt / top!

I'm just signing in for one final plug before I grab lunch then head off to set up!
    Should be great craic! All welcome! Hopefully this will be the first of many! :cool:

Great night last night, sry for quoting the movies too much :pac:, cant wait for the August triple bill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Triple Bill is on this Saturday in town! All welcome! Quizzes, drinking games (optional of course!) and a prize for the best movie themed tee-shirt.
    -link in my signature!

222317_183589521689329_182277351820546_435535_7917196_n.jpg

I went to this and had lots of fun. *thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

wasnt around for this unfortunately but hope you do more of this skinful, sounds like it was a big success!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

cant wait for the August triple bill :D
    I went to this and had lots of fun. *thumbs up*
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    hope you do more of this skinful, sounds like it was a big success!
    When/where will it be on Skinfull? I would have went to this one but had previous plans..

Advertisement