Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I couldn't go either, was really hoping I could make it.

What was the seating like? Was each film shown at a set time?

Were people able to attend the later films that didn't arrive for the first?

Was the sound good? Did everyone sing 'Show me the way to go home'? :)

Booked for True Lies at the screen tonight, hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I couldn't go either, was really hoping I could make it.

What was the seating like? Was each film shown at a set time?

Were people able to attend the later films that didn't arrive for the first?

Was the sound good? Did everyone sing 'Show me the way to go home'? :)

Seating wasn't ideal. The screen they provided didn't have a steady tripod so we were forced into putting it in a ****ty location for balance. We hooked into the bar sound system so the sounds was fine (I thought) though a little low in parts. Looking into a better location for August.

The first flicker on the screen was at about 6pm, and between each movie I had about 5-7 mins of trailers / retro cinema ads to have a week break.

People came to the later movies that weren't there for the start. Few of us were singing but the standing ovation for Bill Pullmans Speech was brilliant! :D

When/where will it be on Skinfull? I would have went to this one but had previous plans..

Plans are for August 13th (ish)- National Youth Week :D
    • Ferris Bueler
    • The Breakfast Club
    • Dazed and Confused

With other options up for voting on the facebook page. This is all venue dependent at the moment and probably wont be confirmed until the weekend.

Screen Cinema running on a Bill Murray poll on their Facebook page right now. Chances are that they will show the top three or four movies, just as they have done with the Arnie Season. Here are the options:

pollonfacebook.png

http://www.facebook.com/thescreencinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Please god I hope they show Kingpin. Ernie Mckracken is a bloody legend

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'What about Bob?' is the best by a long way.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    'What about Bob?' is the best by a long way.

That's what I voted for :)

Also wouldn't mind seeing Stripes, She's Having a Baby (classic), Quick Change or Tootsie (actually, a Dustin Hoffman season would be nice too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

As much as i would love to see Ed Wood on the big screen i just couldnt resist clicking Stripes, i love that film. In saying that Groundhog Day is winning which is also epic so its all good really.

EDIT: Sorry guys, just to ask. Does the Screen usually show classic movies like this or is it rare? Also does anywhere else in Dublin do this as Im always thinking i should keep an eye out for cinemas showing classic films but never get around to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Screen show them quite often but afaik they're just digital copies, hence why they're able to show them so regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Renn wrote: »
    Screen show them quite often but afaik they're just digital copies, hence why they're able to show them so regularly.

I knew it! I seen Tron there last week and the bloody thing looked like it was HD!:rolleyes:

In fairness, they have shown a lot of original prints too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That's what I voted for :)

Also wouldn't mind seeing Stripes, She's Having a Baby (classic), Quick Change or Tootsie (actually, a Dustin Hoffman season would be nice too).

Better wear this if it is on...

AAAACxFvyDgAAAAAAL6NjA.jpg?v=1270212373000

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I went to this and had lots of fun. *thumbs up*

damn i wouldda loved that!

I love What about Bob, and Ghostbusters (of course!) and Stripes. I watched Meatballs the other day actually! but I think I'll be voting for Caddyshack! Its a classic! :D

OMFG!!! Transformers Classic! July 22nd in the Screen :cool:

0971d1add2bd7e85a9248faa3c03766e-3700-img-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

In fairness, they have shown a lot of original prints too though.

They should list it on the site instead because some of us don't want to pay 7 euro to watch a projected DVD (One which costed less money for me to buy and watch as many times as I wanted).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah when the IFI show something you're guaranteed it will be an original print or super pretty digital restoration. Obviously that isn't always practical for once-off showings, but watching a DVD isn't personally why I go to see classic films in the cinema!

I might finally be tempted to go to a Screen 'classic' if they show Lost in Translation or Rushmore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Solaris on July 18th!

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Solaris on July 18th
    Withnail and I July 19th at the screen!

Withnail is the 26th LOS.

Do you see it listed as the 18th somewhere?

• Advertisement

Withnail is the 26th LOS.

Do you see it listed as the 18th somewhere?

woops I was looking back over the thread to see what was coming up soon, saw it in your post... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72517118&postcount=781 :o

But ye you're right, after checking the screen website it is definitely the 26th.

e_e wrote: »
    They should list it on the site instead because some of us don't want to pay 7 euro to watch a projected DVD (One which costed less money for me to buy and watch as many times as I wanted).

I personally do not see the difference. (not literally!) I mean any of the classic movies can be watched at home with my widescreen and surround sound. but that's not the point. The point is seeing it on the big screen, with friends and popcorn and those oh so cute little bottle of wine! Does it matter if its an original print complete with crackles and scratches? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It matters because I'm paying more money than I usually would to watch a technically inferior version of the film. I've been to several classic movies at the screen (in fairness, The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre looked good) and honestly sometiems the picture just looked ugly to me as well as straining to hear what was actually being said. I have no problem with digital prints if they look and sound good but I'd rather a relatively small screen with clear picture than a big screen with blurry picture. If I'm paying the full movie price I expect everything to be of the finest quality. I can bring friends, popcorn and wine into my own living room. ;)

If that makes me sound pedantic then fine, but they should at least acknowledge what way they're showing their film. It's not good enough when I see 2 of my absolute favorite movies (The Big Lebowski and Dawn of the Dead) and it's negatively affecting my enjoyment of them, I just couldn't get into those at the time despite watching and liking them several times before.

I mean fair dues if you all continue to enjoy seeing movies there, I just wish they'd let people know what format they're spending their money on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When I go to see a classic film in a theatre I expect the best quality they can offer. Imagine going to see 2001 and it was just a DVD? That ain't how Kubrick intended it. A re release should be a chance to see the film as intended or a significantly improved update on existing releases.

I'm not denying many will go just for popcorn and a social event. For me though it feels like a waste of money watching a mediocre quality DVD projection. I saw the Goonies once in IMC and it was painfully obvious that was all they were doing. Instead, it's opportunities like getting to see an original print of 2001 or a digitally restored Battleship Potemkin that have been cinematic highlights of recent years. They've been two experiences I haven't been able to get at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Agreed Johnny Ultimate, I must say I never really took much notice of the quality until I saw 2001 in it's original print. Amazing.

The only time I've noticed bad quality was when I saw Stand By Me in cineworld during their cinemagic run. The picture was crappy and choppy and the sound was bad. In Screen there is sound leakage anyway no matter the type of movie. I don't go to see crisp clear copies of movies, I can see them at home :) Yes it is a social event, and while I need the movie to be watchable, it doesn't need to be picture perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

-
    Skinfull wrote: »
    OMFG!!! Transformers Classic! July 22nd in the Screen :cool:

0971d1add2bd7e85a9248faa3c03766e-3700-img-2.jpg

The google cinema listings are showing that the 2002 english version of Solaris is going to be shown but screen's website shows the 1972 version, just in case anyone is getting confused. Think I might ditch it for Harry Potter :O

Solaris is cancelled according to Screen Facebook.

• Advertisement

Solaris is cancelled according to Screen Facebook.

Yeah, just seen that (it will be rescheduled though):

http://twitter.com/#!/screencinema/status/92931887768666112

Lethal Weapon will be shown next Mon (July 25th @ 8:50PM) as a compromise.

Advertisement