Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

GHOSTBUSTERS 1 & 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

allanb49 wrote: »
    GHOSTBUSTERS 1 & 2 :D

is that on today instead yeah
    ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do they always show dvds or is it sometimes proper quality? How to know beforehand which it will be?

No Oct 25th in the Scream :pac:

ah ok, ty there, just as its not up on their site, whats starting today, if anything
    ? lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Saw Jurassic Park in cineworld other day......just amazing

They don't make em like they used to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Also seen Jurassic Park! It was awesome.
    I watched it so much as a kid I still know all the words haha! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

215296.1020.A.jpg

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

What the hell? Why am I receiving all this abuse??

For the record I would just like to say that I asked the Screen cinema to play a certain movie for MONTHS ...I mean months! The prize holds very little interest for me ...I am doing this for a genuine love of the movie! I am not being paid to promote it and really do just hope people who like/love the movie show up!!! I will also be going to the other contestant’s films to show some support as I think it is a great idea that people who genuinely love a certain film are involved in the process of putting it on the big screen!!
    I assumed this thread was full of banter and that people were just having a laugh ...I don’t know why it turned into an attack ...If any of you apply to show your favourite film ...I hope you are not met with the same abuse as myself hoping the show is cancelled due to a lack of interest and that no one shows up. I can honestly say I applaud the idea of classics being shown in the cinema and if anyone on this forum had a genuine passion for a film I would support them 100% and try to arouse interest in it!
    I would also like to point out that while I am working hard on making posters and promoting this (it is a lot of work) that the lack of support from people who are supposed to enjoy classics in the cinema is shocking....I am not bragging here I really am not ...but I am really making an effort here so that this is a successful night! I apologies if I have offended anyone but you might take note I replied to comments that were replies to my threads or about my threads and genuinely thought people were having a laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People are merely annoyed that since you signed up you have posted at least 25-30 times about the showing, including various other threads. That is what we traditionally consider spamming. Add to this the fact that most people think the film is merely OK, plus that it's likely only going to be a DVD projection, people are far from enthusiastic (there's a fine line between and enthusiasm and obsession!). This isn't a thread to go on about the same screening over and over: it's for people to discuss, recommend and celebrate the variety of classic screenings, not just the one you signed up to promote.

I genuinely wish you well with your evening, and well done for getting it organised. But unfortunately you've lost the goodwill of the many posters on here. Perhaps there's a lesson in moderating your excitement somewhat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Screen showing Mad Max on Monday Nov 28th.

People are merely annoyed that since you signed up you have posted at least 25-30 times about the showing, including various other threads. That is what we traditionally consider spamming. Add to this the fact that most people think the film is merely OK, plus that it's likely only going to be a DVD projection, people are far from enthusiastic (there's a fine line between and enthusiasm and obsession!). This isn't a thread to go on about the same screening over and over: it's for people to discuss, recommend and celebrate the variety of classic screenings, not just the one you signed up to promote.

I genuinely wish you well with your evening, and well done for getting it organised. But unfortunately you've lost the goodwill of the many posters on here. Perhaps there's a lesson in moderating your excitement somewhat!

Nail on head.

If I was in Dublin on the night that American Psycho was screening I would seriously have considered attending, that is as long as it wasn't simply a 4 euro DVD from HMV being projected. That the poster signed up and repeatedly posted what amounts to spam put me off even considering attending. Had the poster put up one of two posts alerting people to the fact that the film was screening then I and most others would have been far more welcoming but repeated threads about the film and Bale just rubbed us up the wrong way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think the AP screening is until end of October.

can anyone tell me exactly where the quayside cinema balbriggan
    is
    ? thanks there :)

Walk/drive down through the village until you see this place on the right hand side of the road as you head north heading out of Balbriggan ..

5061665274_65ab796e60.jpg

.. the cinema is down that side road that you can't drive down.

Screen Cinema Bill Murray Season

Celebrate the great Bill Murray with five of his all time greatest films and if you don't feel like you've had enough Murray we'll play even more Bill films next year. We'll also be giving out some free tickets every week for the best Bill Murray puns.

October 25th
    Ghost Busters 1& 2~ Double Bill Murray
    November 15th
    Caddyshack
    November 29th
    Groundhog Day
    December 13th
    Scrooged

Now with added Stripes

aboutdesouffledvd.jpg
    IFI Cinema
    Wed 12 Oct @ 19:10

Good few French Classics been shown as part of the Prix Jean Vigo season throughout October.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

just a reminder that a fist full of dollars is on at 7:30pm tomorrow in the helix, dcu.

fistful.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

allanb49 wrote: »
    Screen Cinema Bill Murray Season

Celebrate the great Bill Murray with five of his all time greatest films and if you don't feel like you've had enough Murray we'll play even more Bill films next year. We'll also be giving out some free tickets every week for the best Bill Murray puns.

October 25th
    Ghost Busters 1& 2~ Double Bill Murray
    November 15th
    Caddyshack
    November 29th
    Groundhog Day
    December 13th
    Scrooged

Now with added Stripes

SCROOGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a great idea Screen cinema folk. thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Feu wrote: »
    SCROOGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to Dec 13th!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just saw this on The Screen's facebook, thought it might interest a few here:
    the Screen is a digital cinema so everything is digital, with the odd 35mm thrown in . It all depends on availability, there isn't much good quality 35mm around. Our next classic 35mm screening will be ET in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Walk/drive down through the village until you see this place on the right hand side of the road as you head north heading out of Balbriggan ..

.. the cinema is down that side road that you can't drive down.

Fair play Pete.

I had to use a sat nav to find the place the first time.

476661032311.jpg

National Concert Hall
    31st Oct @ 3pm & 8pm

Live screening by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra.
    Tickets quite expensive, running from €23 to €40.
    A screening of Bride of Frankenstein accompanied by the full RTÉ Concert Orchestra
    This hallowe’en the RTÉ Concert Orchestra will present two extraordinary performances of The Bride of Frankenstein live in the National Concert Hall.
    Over seventy-five years since its release, be part of the first ever live screening in Ireland when James Whales' 1935 classic horror film - starring Boris Karloff and Elsa Lanchester comes “alive” in a big-screen presentation accompanied by a live performance of Franz Waxman’s bone-chilling score.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    476661032311.jpg

National Concert Hall
    31st Oct @ 3pm & 8pm

Live screening by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra.
    Tickets quite expensive, running from €23 to €40.

Sounds like a great way to spend Halloween but the ticket price is a little high. Heard good things about their Psycho screening so will have to think about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Thelegend2006

I assume everyones already checked out the classic films listed in the horrorthon.... Halloween 2, Akira, Flash Gordon, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.... and ALIENS with Michael Biehn present http://ifi.ie/horrorthon2011/screenings.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I assume everyones already checked out the classic films listed in the horrorthon.... Halloween 2, Akira, Flash Gordon, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.... and ALIENS with Michael Biehn present http://ifi.ie/horrorthon2011/screenings.htm

any idea on prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

any idea on prices?
    PRICES:
    The opening and closing night films are €10.
    All other screenings are €9.

SPECIAL FESTIVAL PASSES ARE AVAILABLE*:
    One day pass: €40
    Two day pass: €67
    Three day pass: €95
    Four day pass: €120
    Full festival pass (all five days) €125

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

Classics_7th-13th-OCT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

The Psycho screening was a massive letdown compared to the Metropolis one. A number of times the conductor messed up with the audio/dialogue which obviously disrupted to flow of everything and was just plain annoying. Coupled with the amount of laughter in the audience made for not the nicest of viewing experiences.

Metropolis was fantastic though, but I don't think RTE did that...

Advertisement