Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Dang! Caddyshack is on in the Screen RIGHT NOW!!! missed it :(

Did anyone make it? I hoe they got a good showing what with the soccer on and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

The Jameson Film Club is showing Aliens...I think thats a bit old now though ...dont get me wrong I LOVE that movie ...but Screen had a double bill earlier this year and the IFI showed it at Horrorthon!

Hmm yeah I saw this. but this could be worth a go. I dunno if anyone went to see Snatch last month but its something to do with the Jameson Film Festival, they are showing cult films every month. Might be fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually they'll be showing Alien rather then Aliens - I think the idea was to have some guest at these things? I know Spacey was there for Usual Suspects.

I must admit to a bit of an 'eyebrow raise' at their definition of the word 'cult', though. You can't just pick any extremely popular movie and throw the word before it. It's doing a profound disservice to the actual cult cinema out there!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Actually they'll be showing Alien rather then Aliens - I think the idea was to have some guest at these things? I know Spacey was there for Usual Suspects.

I must admit to a bit of an 'eyebrow raise' at their definition of the word 'cult', though. You can't just pick any extremely popular movie and throw the word before it. It's doing a profound disservice to the actual cult cinema out there!

They basically call any old movie thats still popular a cult movie these days, especially if its a sci-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive often heard the likes of say Blade Runner being referred to as being a cult movie but never any of the Alien franchise.

On topic,Mad Max double bill,verrry tempted to order a ticket.

Ive often heard the likes of say Blade Runner being referred to as being a cult movie but never any of the Alien franchise.

On topic,Mad Max double bill,verrry tempted to order a ticket.

What? you mean you haven't done so already?! :confused:

:cool: Its gonna be class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I was too young to see it in the cinema first time round. :)

scrooged_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Alien...Aliens...my point being that they had both been shown already this year! :P

I actually cannot wait for both the Mad Max's ...one because its when Mel Gibson was great and also I always think double bills have a better atmosphere when the sequel is better/ just as good as the the original (thats just in my opinion now)!!

oh man the credit card is gonna take a this month...
    Mad Max 1 & 2 Double Bill -November 28th
    M-0015_Mad_Max_Mad_Max_II_quad_movie_poster_l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

jus won alien tickets..yahoo..now im wonderin how much free jameson will be at it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

its a wonderful life been shown anywhere soon?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

its a wonderful life been shown anywhere soon?

thanks
    Would also love to know this if anyone has any info :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wonderful Life is on in the Helix December 21st

http://thehelix.ie/its-a-wonderful-life/

Hoping that the Screen shows this again!

Mad Max this monday! WOO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Just wanted to say all the best to Pete and cheers for starting this thread, really great info given here.

Not sure if he'll see this post, but anyway.

Cheers and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Just wanted to say all the best to Pete and cheers for starting this thread, really great info given here.

Cheers and good luck.

well said..best source info for classic film showings,opened up a whole new world i never even knew existed before and i would not have known about the draw for alien tickets showing nxt tues(won a pair)had it not been for this thread..keep up the input every1,gud work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Just wanted to say all the best to Pete .

Cheers and good luck.

Where'd he go?

Where'd he go?

To the land that time forgot... Or ya know... other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Skinfull wrote: »

There's other forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Skinfull wrote: »

There's other forums?
    Shhhhhh

Right so Ted! Who is goin to Mad Max double bill on monday?

http://www.screencinema.ie/#

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Voxillary

Click this link for the facebook EVENT: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/118228401622027/
    Donnie Darko will be screened on the Monday 28th of November at 6 p.m. in Movies@Dundrum

<snip>

Mon Dec 5th - Screen -18.30 - E.T The Extra Terrestrial

e_t_the_extra_terrestrial_ver3.jpg

Wed Dec 7th - Screen - 20.30 - The Never Ending Story

the-neverending-story.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jameson Advertisement Evening Alien was an interesting, mostly enjoyable experience. A little cynical about the marketing motives of the event, and the gimmicks reeked of William Castle, but hey it was a lark and the film remains a triumph of atmosphere and tension. And if you're going to be a blatant PR-athon, free burgers and multiple free whiskey cocktails (although once again we poor non-drinkers are neglected) are a solid way to go. And the general setup / entrance area was a jolly good show, despite the ludicrously uncomfortable chairs / seating arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Jameson Advertisement Evening Alien was an interesting, mostly enjoyable experience. A little cynical about the marketing motives of the event, and the gimmicks reeked of William Castle, but hey it was a lark and the film remains a triumph of atmosphere and tension. And if you're going to be a blatant PR-athon, free burgers and multiple free whiskey cocktails (although once again we poor non-drinkers are neglected) are a solid way to go. And the general setup / entrance area was a jolly good show, despite the ludicrously uncomfortable chairs / seating arrangements.

I'm going to be a cranky old bastard here but I don't really see the appeal of all this - as you said it just reeks of a blatant advertisement with some film showing as well. Do they just play a dvd/blu? And Alien is hardly something you'd call a cult film :/

Cranky old bastard signing off.

Yeah just seemed to be the Blu-Ray playing (with plenty of ads for the release around). They didn't even bother to adjust the screen to suit the aspect ratio :pac:

Wouldn't be something I'd be usually into, but got offered the tickets. Audience seemed to contain every other PR / Printed Press / Marketing personality in Dublin.

And yeah, I bemoaned Alien being called a cult film a few posts above. Very much pushing the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Audience seemed to contain every other PR / Printed Press / Marketing personality in Dublin.

Haha, that does not surprise me in the least.

Anyway, I think I'll pass on any future screenings and be content with my own set up at home. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a film club showing cult films (Eraserhead/Videodrome/whatever) but I don't like the idea of this club.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

The IFI are showing West Side Story on Dec 3rd and 4th, Amélie on Dec 17th and 18th, Meet Me In St Louis from Dec 27th-31st, and Home Alone on the 31st. Can't wait for Home Alone.

• Advertisement

I dont really see the bad thing about this event...
    • Free Burgers
    • Free Whiskey cocktails
    • Free Screening

Yeah the audience may have been PR etc but who cares! Sounds like an awesome time and I'm only more sorry that I didn't manage to get tickets. I'll defo try again to get some for the next screening.

Advertisement