Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Happy Christmas to all the classic aficionado's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The IFI Friday Night Frights is back on the 13th of January and they are screening Jaws!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Looking at the Horrorthon Facebook page, 'Jaws' isn't certain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

MV5BMTUzMzg4MTg2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDM4OTk4._V1._SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

IFI. December 31st. 11am. Tickets €4.80 each or 4 tickets for €14.40. Tickets from http://www.ifi.ie or from the IFI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

They're showing a 70mm print of Empire of The Sun mid January, gotta have a look at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

They're showing a 70mm print of Empire of The Sun mid January, gotta have a look at that!

Love this movie. What's the difference between 70mm and 35mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Faith+1 wrote: »

35mm :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faith+1 wrote: »

70mm is a larger, higher resolution format than 35mm and has better sound. However, Empire of the Sun was shot on 35mm, so this is a blow-up. This used to be very common, but since all sound is digital now the advantages to 70mm blow-ups is somewhat questionable. The image quality is much the same as 35mm, the print is just brighter and more durable. It would be different if the film was shot on 65mm.

70mm is a larger, higher resolution format than 35mm and has better sound. However, Empire of the Sun was shot on 35mm, so this is a blow-up. This used to be very common, but since all sound is digital now the advantages to 70mm blow-ups is somewhat questionable. The image quality is much the same as 35mm, the print is just brighter and more durable. It would be different if the film was shot on 65mm.

Spoken like a teacher!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Having been at the screening of 'Aliens' in 70mm at Horrorthon, I can guarantee you that 6-track mag sound on even blow-up prints makes for an amazing experience, and makes a mockery of digital sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Forgot that it was shot on 35 so wouldn't be as nice as if it was shot on 65 alright, but still the picture should have less grain and be more vivid ( I saw Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 which were actually shot on 65 on 70mm and they were glorious). Anyway will still be great to see something on celluloid as it was intended to be seen, sad that its pretty much all digital nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

I dont know if it is classed as a "Classic" film but some Star Wars film is coming back to the cinema in 3D ....I think its The Empire Strikes Back ...I am not sure though!

I dont know if it is classed as a "Classic" film but some Star Wars film is coming back to the cinema in 3D ....I think its The Empire Strikes Back ...I am not sure though!

It's the Phantom, the posters and standees of Darth Maul have been up in some cinemas now for moths. Given the levels of disdain heaped upon it on a regular basis it's about as classic as Johnny English 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

It's the Phantom, it's about as classic as Johnny English 2.

images_81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

sarah+1 wrote: »
    220px-Home_alone.jpg

IFI. December 31st. 11am. Tickets €4.80 each or 4 tickets for €14.40. Tickets from http://www.ifi.ie or from the IFI.

Edited.

The IFI Friday Night Frights is back on the 13th of January and they are screening Jaws!

:D

Typical IFI to miss a gaping hole of an opportunity... Fright night Fridays.. on Friday 13th and they show Jaws? Surely Jason is the better choice there! :rolleyes:

Anyone else HATE the new IFI site? Its too hard to navigate and indiviual movie times (rather than calander mode) make it tough to compare screenings to your schedule. Grrr. Unless I'm doin it wrong... in that case duh. :)

On another note... the Spielberg fest that is going on (hence the Jaws screening rather than Jason) looks good.
    Anyone interested in goin to the Spielberg talk followed by the screening of Empire of the sun? If we get a group maybe we can get a discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also an Alexander Payne season on in the IFI next month.

Never have got around to seeing Citizen Ruth, so that could be interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love About Schmidt. Too bad it's on a Saturday when I'll most likely be working. I've never seen Election or Citizen Ruth, so might check them out. I've been meaning to watch them for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Election is terrific fun. I find Payne can be a bit bland visually and stylistically, but he's a fantastic screenwriter and actor director. Election is probably his bravest and most playful film in terms of presentation.

The IFI have updated their listings and have added "Saving Private Ryan" to the Spielberg season in January. And it's a 35mm not a DVD! Happy Days!:cool:

http://www.ifi.ie/film/saving-private-ryan/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

if it was made pre-1999= classic Star Wars, anything after that=nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zomg zomg zomg zomg!:

http://www.ifi.ie/film/raiders-of-the-lost-ark/

70mm showing(blow up I guess) of Raiders?! there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

are both screenings of jaws sold out already?gives an error when i try and book through site and they dont respond to my emails,tried ringing three different times with no answer also haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The Friday the 13th screening hasn't been confirmed yet which us why it can't be booked,problems with screening rights I'd imagine.

saw raiders today in ifi,immense..original grainy print added to experience..already looking forward to jaws on the 16th

saw raiders today in ifi,immense..original grainy print added to experience..already looking forward to jaws on the 16th

Gutted I missed that but I was abroad! :mad:

I think the horror double bill is sold out in the IFI on friday but is anyone else disappointed that the Screen isn't taking advantage of the day thats in it? I was sure they would have a Jason screening. I guess I'll just have to watch the DVDs :(

Skinfull wrote: »
    Gutted I missed that but I was abroad! :mad:

I think the horror double bill is sold out in the IFI on friday but is anyone else disappointed that the Screen isn't taking advantage of the day thats in it? I was sure they would have a Jason screening. I guess I'll just have to watch the DVDs :(

jaws still showin on the followin mon 16th tho!

• Advertisement

jaws was brilliant..half the audience still jumping out of their seats at all the scary moments is a testament to how the 37 year old fim still holds its power even with todays audiences

Advertisement