Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I really like Waking Life but I prefer Scanner Darkly. I think it's Ethen Hawke. He just comes across as so preachy (not just this, but every movie!) and I feel like he has this contempt for the viewer. My inference of course, but something about that guy just makes me not want to watch!

Which is a shame because he has made some brilliant flicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Oh man!!! LETS BE BAD GUYS!!!

Serenity_Movie_Wallpaper_by_emilyseal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey Skinful any more Triple Bill events planned?

I'd love to see some of these classic screenings involve the screening of actual classics. Don't get me wrong, far as I'm concerned Serenity is one of the all time classics but it's also only a few years old and has been screened a number of times since it's release.

There are plenty of great films being released on Blu-Ray and DVD that never saw the inside of a cinema screen over here. A screening of the newly restored Rolling Thunder would be far more enticing than another screening of Ghostbusters or Back to the Future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I'd love to see some of these classic screenings involve the screening of actual classics. Don't get me wrong, far as I'm concerned Serenity is one of the all time classics but it's also only a few years old and has been screened a number of times since it's release.

There are plenty of great films being released on Blu-Ray and DVD that never saw the inside of a cinema screen over here. A screening of the newly restored Rolling Thunder would be far more enticing than another screening of Ghostbusters or Back to the Future.

have to agree there, this seems to be pretty tame in comparison to last years bursting with classics at the screen and some at the ifi.
    i would love to get the chance to see Back To The Future or Ghostbusters on the big screen again, missed my chance when they showed it last time :(

on another note, any chance of the screen showing the snapper or the van, classic irish imho :D , this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So what you're saying there is that you'd have to disagree with what Darko said?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Renn wrote: »
    So what you're saying there is that you'd have to disagree with what Darko said?

no, :P:D, i meant i agree with playing actual classic classics, but also id love to get to see the back to the future etc type again

I think the Screen has ALOT to learn about screening classics. Some nights they get is PERFECT and then other nights there are maybe 8 people there. I like the junior program where they allow younger viewers to pick the movie and the little intro is cute, but how about the same for adults!

Weekend / monthly themes like Kurt Russell (Big trouble in little china, The Thing, Escape form New York), Stephen Spielberg (ET, Empire of the Sun, Duel), John Williams (Superman, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters) and what not.

Oh and...
    ALOT.png

Hey Skinful any more Triple Bill events planned?

Had to pull the plug last year when my mum became terminally ill. Maybe we'll kick it off again during the summer. Easier to lug the equipment round in nice weather. And if we can find a nice location. :cool:

• Advertisement

Skinfull wrote: »
    Had to pull the plug last year when my mum became terminally ill. Maybe we'll kick it off again during the summer. Easier to lug the equipment round in nice weather. And if we can find a nice location. :cool:

Very sorry to hear that.

Yeah perhaps if during the summer consider outdoor screenings/ screenings in places that wouldn't generally be considered, warehouse, community halls etc.?
    Could make it cheaper to... but also it could obviously still be held in bars and such still as well and serve drink... but just for different ideas you know

Very sorry to hear that.

Yeah perhaps if during the summer consider outdoor screenings/ screenings in places that wouldn't generally be considered, warehouse, community halls etc.?
    Could make it cheaper to... but also it could obviously still be held in bars and such still as well and serve drink... but just for different ideas you know

Yeah was thinking about that too. a friend of mine recently bought a Marquee. Would be cool to set that up in Phoenix park and throw on a few flicks. BYOB kind of thing... wonder what phoenix park police would have to say about that! :cool:

Yeah was thinking about that too. a friend of mine recently bought a Marquee. Would be cool to set that up in Phoenix park and throw on a few flicks. BYOB kind of thing... wonder what phoenix park police would have to say about that! :cool:

Yeah definitely man, would be cool! Hmm, what about doing it on the green on Trinity? Marquee sounds good.. would be good in PP as well but I would presume it would be tough to get a license there,, worth inquiring though? Marley maybe?

Yeah definitely man, would be cool! Hmm, what about doing it on the green on Trinity? Marquee sounds good.. would be good in PP as well but I would presume it would be tough to get a license there,, worth inquiring though? Marley maybe?

Would be great but I think equipment hire, like generators etc would be super expensive unless we got a sponsor or something. I suppose that's not totally unheard of. Hmmmm. Thinking hat, on. :cool:

Would be great but I think equipment hire, like generators etc would be super expensive unless we got a sponsor or something. I suppose that's not totally unheard of. Hmmmm. Thinking hat, on. :cool:

Yep, sponsor wouldn't be impossible to get, would definitely have demand for it, just look how successful Dun Laoghaire movies in the park are and the like, I know it's a bit different, but once established you could definitely start bringing in the numbers, keep us updated!

Yep, sponsor wouldn't be impossible to get, would definitely have demand for it, just look how successful Dun Laoghaire movies in the park are and the like, I know it's a bit different, but once established you could definitely start bringing in the numbers, keep us updated!

Vermeer-Pie-in-the-Sky-54822.jpg

Ah sigh... wouldn't it be great though!

Screen Loves Irish Cinema

The screen is broadcasting a collection of past Oscar nominated short Irish films. Not quite classics but I think it will appeal to the Classics crowd.

Just another heads up, Leprechaun is on this friday in the Screen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sweet, want to see serenity :)

The Leprechaun last night in the Screen was possibly one of the best screenings of any classic I've seen. The atmosphere in there was giddy delight. The movie started off then after about 30 seconds there was screen burn and the film faded, we were "treated" to a guy dressed like a leprechaun standing up and doing a bit of filler comedy, but thankfully that didn't last long then the movie started (again) and the trashfest really lived up to its name! Booing, hissing, cheering, goading, heckling and laughing. And all but 2 loved it.
    2 people were giving out about how much people were laughing, one of them stormed out and was heard to say "I'm gonna go see the devil inside and laugh all the way through, and ruin it for these guys!" Genius!
    Brilliant! MORE PLEASE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What are they projecting for the Screen "Classics", DVD, Blu Ray, 35mm?

And all but 2 loved it.
    2 people were giving out about how much people were laughing, one of them stormed out and was heard to say "I'm gonna go see the devil inside and laugh all the way through, and ruin it for these guys!" Genius!
    Brilliant! MORE PLEASE!

Can you blame them though. I'm all for a little audience participation but there is nothing worse than people making unfunny comments all the way through a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I wished the classic screenings I went to were as eventful as that! Any time I went the atmosphere was staler than old bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just noticed this.......classic (disputably) movie screenings every thursday in 4 dame lane free of charge.

vcnXG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can you blame them though. I'm all for a little audience participation but there is nothing worse than people making unfunny comments all the way through a film.

I'd agree. I love it when the audience cheer etc during classic films (the president's speech in Independence Day always gets a great reaction) but I hate the lone comedians who just yell 'jokes' at every opportunity.

Agreed if its regular film, people go to see earnestly, but for something like the leprechaun, labelled as trashfest it's to be expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Were you there? Because the atmosphere for this type of film was perfect. I didn't come across any unfunny comments (well, except for that guy introducing the film) - basically people just laughing their heads off at a completely ridiculous and farcical film.

Agreed if its regular film, people go to see earnestly, but for something like the leprechaun, labelled as trashfest it's to be expected!

I've been at some screenings where all people did was mock the film, The Room and Birdemic screenings in the US spring to mind but at the same time when paying to see a film in the cinema you don't want to spend 90 minutes listening to people trying to be funny. There is an art to mocking a film, MST3K showed how funny it can be but when it comes down to a handful of people throwing out "funny" insults the comedic return may not be quite so successful.
    Renn wrote: »
    Were you there? Because the atmosphere for this type of film was perfect. I didn't come across any unfunny comments (well, except for that guy introducing the film) - basically people just laughing their heads off at a completely ridiculous and farcical film.

I wasn't but friends of mine were at it and said that they felt that while there was a good atmosphere there were far too many wannabe comedians trying to be funny. Some guy sitting close to them kept making jokes about Friends and asking where Ricky Gervais was.

I've been at some screenings where all people did was mock the film, The Room and Birdemic screenings in the US spring to mind but at the same time when paying to see a film in the cinema you don't want to spend 90 minutes listening to people trying to be funny. There is an art to mocking a film, MST3K showed how funny it can be but when it comes down to a handful of people throwing out "funny" insults the comedic return may not be quite so successful.

The Room and Birdemic are two prime examples when you don't pay money to see the movie, you pay money to see it and laugh and joke your way through with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

It's a great run of films for Joss Whedon fans - 'Serenity' in the Screen on the 27th, 'The Cabin In The Woods' in the IFI on the 30th, and 'The Avengers' on April 26th. Good times.

Advertisement