Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Serenity2.jpg

Heads up, Serenity is on tomorrow! WOO! :cool:

And its over. sigh. What a screening! I'm pretty sure that was the biggest crowd they got for a classic if I'm not mistaken!

Brings us a little closer to the Joss Whedon screening I'm petitioning them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Was at serenity last night too, soooo many nerds :P

It was packed but it wasn't completely sold out so it wasnt their biggest crowd, wasn't like the huge big wrap around queues outside for terminator but still nice to see it that packed.

Was my first time seeing it! :o I enjoyed it apart from a few annoying lads in front roaring laughing at absolutely everything.

I was just thinking when I was there last night I would LOVE to see 2001 and 2010 on the screen in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Apparently before its release on Blu ray this year Lawrence of Arabia will be getting a cinema re- release, that would be a candidate for a "classic cinema" showing if anything is.

--LOS-- wrote: »

It was packed but it wasn't completely sold out so it wasnt their biggest crowd, wasn't like the huge big wrap around queues outside for terminator but still nice to see it that packed.

Was my first time seeing it! :o I enjoyed it apart from a few annoying lads in front roaring laughing at absolutely everything.

I was just thinking when I was there last night I would LOVE to see 2001 and 2010 on the screen in there :D

Did you see the 70mm showing of 2001 in the IFI about 2 years ago it was fantastic, also would be great to see 2010 (I didn't see it on original release) on the big screen one of favorite movies but largely forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Was my first time seeing it!
    :o I enjoyed it apart from a few annoying lads in front roaring laughing at absolutely everything.

Los I am shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was my first time seeing it! :oI enjoyed it apart from a few annoying lads in front roaring laughing at absolutely everything.

That's the brown coat elite! ;)

I was at terminator last year, and I remember the queue but it wasn't sold out. May have been ore full than serenity though, I'll give you that. I guess serenity was just more full than screen has been in a long time. More please!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

They are trying to get from dusk til dawn screened the same night too.I cant make it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Skinfull wrote: »
    Serenity2.jpg

Heads up, Serenity is on tomorrow! WOO! :cool:

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can NOT believe that I missed this!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The Screen said on their Facebook page that they're trying to organise a second screening norrie, you might be in luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Did you see the 70mm showing of 2001 in the IFI about 2 years ago it was fantastic, also would be great to see 2010 (I didn't see it on original release) on the big screen one of favorite movies but largely forgotten.

No I did not :(

btw is there anywhere you can still vote for what movies are to be shown?
    Feu wrote: »
    Los I am shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/hands in nerd badge :P

tbh I didn't think it was that great or anything, probably would have been different if I saw it when it was out :o

N/hands in nerd badge :P

tbh I didn't think it was that great or anything, probably would have been different if I saw it when it was out :o

Rips up the returned nerd badge!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

ah no! Series is better to be fair

Meh. They have played that there a few times now. I wish both IFI and Screen would branch out in the movies they are choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Feu wrote: »
    ah no! Series is better to be fair

Agreed. I was lucky enough to see Serenity in Cineworld a few years back at a charity screening organised by a local browncoat. The timing was good for me as I'd only just finished watching Firefly a few months beforehand and still hadn't got around to watching Serenity.

There was a really good atmosphere considering the screening started at 10am on a Saturday morning and it was a great experience to see it on the big screen in a packed cinema. However, I couldn't shake off the feeling that there was a lot more character to be developed and story to be told but that it had all been crammed into the very limited time available to feature films while still making a film which could appeal to viewers who hadn't watched Firefly. :(

Apologies for the OT post. I should probably take myself off to the Joss Whedon forum. Back on topic: Evil Dead is on my list of films to see so looking forward to seeing that in the IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Meh. They have played that there a few times now. I wish both IFI and Screen would branch out in the movies they are choosing.

Fair enough,but I haven't seen it on the big screen before,so I'm looking forward to it.Hence my uncharacteristic exuberance in my original post.

Just out of curiosity,what would you show or like to see?

Ant wrote: »
    Agreed. I was lucky enough to see Serenity in Cineworld a few years back at a charity screening organised by a local browncoat. ...

Oh I was at that too! My buddy won something in the raffle (I think it was a firefly comic or something) and we went to the pub quiz after. Great craic. Those browncoats used to have a monthly shindig, dunno if they still do. ;)
    Fair enough,but I haven't seen it on the big screen before,so I'm looking forward to it.Hence my uncharacteristic exuberance in my original post.

Just out of curiosity,what would you show or like to see?

<inhale>
    Well I would have some themed evenings or weekly runs (Avoid using the word "fest" when only one movie is being shown, looking at you Leprechaun aka Trashfest!).

Pitch Black was great on the big screen, Another run of LOTR though I imagine that will be in the works pre Hobbit (or post seeing as its a prequel)
    Then complete the Carpenter run with The Fog (lovely on the big screen)

Though I'm not a huge fan of the movie I can appreciate that 2001 should be seen by everyone in the cinema. Sound + size = epic movie experience.

While I've see all the Star Wars (re-release circa 97) and the all Indiana Jones movies (2008) in the cinema there is room for another run of these flicks.

Then you have...The Abyss, The Shining, Wall-E, Jaws (though it had a recent screening in the IFI), Zodiac, Mad Max, Star Trek (any and all), Tremors, Loads of Spielberg like Duel, Empire of the Sun & Schlinder's list, Braveheart, Michael Collins, Matinee and LOADS of trashy horror! </exhale>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Then you have...The Abyss, The Shining, Wall-E, Jaws (though it had a recent screening in the IFI), Zodiac, Mad Max, Star Trek (any and all), Tremors, Loads of Spielberg like Duel, Empire of the Sun & Schlinder's list, Braveheart, Michael Collins, Matinee and LOADS of trashy horror! </exhale>

See that's my problem with classic screenings right there. The Screen has settled on little other than 'easy' picks up until now. There's been very few curveballs or foreign language films. Just an awful lot of, to borrow your word, 'trashy' stuff.

Now maybe the IFI is in a better position to screen more unusual 'classics', and yeah they do tend to have a few retrospectives and the like every year. But I wish there was more. Something like a Ghibli or Satoshi Kon season (a solitary screening of Paprika is a good start). A Three Colours / Vengeance Trilogy triple bill. A (oh how I'd love this) Yojimbo / Sanjuro double bill. More silent films. Retrospectives for Kobayashi (was there one a few years ago?), Wong-Kar Wai, John Woo, Sergio Leone, Jacques Tati. Midnight screenings of Hausu or Brazil or Audition or Suspiria... One could go on.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen lots of great classics in the last two or three years, from Battleship Potemkin to Akira to The Thin Red Line. Also well aware a few of the above have been 'done' sometime in the relatively recent past. But I'd wish there was more than just the same old American choices, with more than just a projected DVD, and that a few more cinemas would embrace that.

The thing with going away from the american classics is that you wont sell the seats. sure the big name foreign flicks will sell but not all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Lighthouse have shown Stop Making Sense two weekends in a row now (Friday and Saturday night last weekend, and two screenings again this weekend). It seems to be going down a treat. Apparently, they're retaining it for another few weeks. It's unlikely to turn into their equivalent of the legendary Rocky Horror Picture Show run in Harold's Cross, but it's great that it's been met with such enthusiasm.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I know this is being incredibly picky/annoying but it's still a digital copy they're showing. Anybody know the costs of that versus 35mm? Guessing it's quite big but would be curious to know some rough figures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Renn wrote: »
    I know this is being incredibly picky/annoying but it's still a digital copy they're showing. Anybody know the costs of that versus 35mm? Guessing it's quite big but would be curious to know some rough figures.

A digital vs 35mm copy would be at least ten or twenty times cheaper. Say 1,000 vs 10,000 per copy - that significant. Digital distribution is an absolute godsent for smaller distributors particularly.

Nothing wrong at all with high quality digital copies, barring the romanticism of 35mm. It's DVD that's the issue.

A digital vs 35mm copy would be at least ten or twenty times cheaper. Say 1,000 vs 10,000 per copy - that significant. Digital distribution is an absolute godsent for smaller distributors particularly.

Nothing wrong at all with high quality digital copies, barring the romanticism of 35mm. It's DVD that's the issue.

I was wondering about this a while back, are they only showing dvds of all these films? If so I wouldn't be arsed, they should be at least 4k digital files if not (my preference) 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I would LOVE to see Stop Making Sense in the cinema but if it's pretty disappointing if they're only showing a DVD. That and 10:30 on a Saturday night isn't really an appealing time for me to see a movie at, unless I could find another Heads fan among my friends/family who'd be willing to go too.

Show it on an early evening with high quality digital projection and I'm there! :D

I was wondering about this a while back, are they only showing dvds of all these films? If so I wouldn't be arsed, they should be at least 4k digital files if not (my preference) 35.

Can't confirm the format for Stop Making Sense - anyone who has been feel free to enlighten us! But the Screen particularly is known for DVD projections, which to me is pointless. IFI is the only cinema that tends to show 35mm or high quality digital formats, and will specify if not. Even Blu-Ray projections look considerably less than great blown up on the big screen.

Alas, most of the cinemas are without traditional projectors these days, so original prints are a dying breed. Personally, a high quality digital projection is a more than acceptable second best to prints. But most cinemas won't pay to access them, and a DVD is unfortunately their solution.

Can't confirm the format for Stop Making Sense - anyone who has been feel free to enlighten us! But the Screen particularly is known for DVD projections, which to me is pointless. IFI is the only cinema that tends to show 35mm or high quality digital formats, and will specify if not. Even Blu-Ray projections look considerably less than great blown up on the big screen.

Alas, most of the cinemas are without traditional projectors these days, so original prints are a dying breed. Personally, a high quality digital projection is a more than acceptable second best to prints. But most cinemas won't pay to access them, and a DVD is unfortunately their solution.

Thats really taking the piss! Only an idiot would pay to see dvd's projected in a cinema, even blu ray doesn't have the rez to fill a screen with clarity. Just like with music (mp3's) quality is going out the window, I suppose a generation used to sh*t quality illegal downloads and streams will watch any old thrash quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In fairness to Screen, I think they are at the mercy of distributors when it comes to the quality of the films. 35mm prints are probably rather expensive and difficult to acquire and high quality digital prints may not exist yet for many of the films they screen.

Of course, if they really cared they'd indicate the source on their website, but that would probably be too much to ask.

What wasthe Serenity projection like?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I've ever noticed what type of projection they used in the screen. Though some of the classics screening in the Cinema are "bad" copies, choppy, black lines, reel markers etc so I don't think they are all DVD projections.

Advertisement