Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

serenity is on next tuesday in screen,delighted! i couldnt make last weeks showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I really enjoyed Serenity last time but showing it again so soon seems a little silly to me. They clearly got a good reaction and they should build off that rather than just repeating the equation hoping it will all happen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Skinfull wrote: »
    Oh I was at that too! My buddy won something in the raffle (I think it was a firefly comic or something) and we went to the pub quiz after. Great craic. Those browncoats used to have a monthly shindig, dunno if they still do. ;)

<inhale>
    Well I would have some themed evenings or weekly runs (Avoid using the word "fest" when only one movie is being shown, looking at you Leprechaun aka Trashfest!).

Pitch Black was great on the big screen, Another run of LOTR though I imagine that will be in the works pre Hobbit (or post seeing as its a prequel)
    Then complete the Carpenter run with The Fog (lovely on the big screen)

Though I'm not a huge fan of the movie I can appreciate that 2001 should be seen by everyone in the cinema. Sound + size = epic movie experience.

While I've see all the Star Wars (re-release circa 97) and the all Indiana Jones movies (2008) in the cinema there is room for another run of these flicks.

Then you have...The Abyss, The Shining, Wall-E, Jaws (though it had a recent screening in the IFI), Zodiac, Mad Max, Star Trek (any and all), Tremors, Loads of Spielberg like Duel, Empire of the Sun & Schlinder's list, Braveheart, Michael Collins, Matinee and LOADS of trashy horror! </exhale>

Themed evenings and weekly runs are a great idea, but seem like something only the Screen could do, given the IFI’s monthly planning. For example, I can’t see the IFI doing a run of the ‘Star Trek’ series, but that would really work in the Screen.

I assume Trashfest just did that once-off to get their name out in advance of the proper festival the Screen has promised us they’re doing this summer.

‘Pitch Black’, ‘The Fog’, ‘Tremors’ and ‘Matinee’ I would love to see on the big screen. Especially ‘Matinee’, that would be amazing.

The ‘Lord Of The Rings’ trilogy was shown in the Screen March of last year. ‘Jaws’, ‘Empire Of The Sun’ (in 70mm), ‘Schindler’s List’ and ‘Raiders Of The Lost Ark’ (twice) were all shown in the IFI last January. ‘2001’ has been shown a number of times by the IFI, usually in 70mm, and it’s an awesome thing to behold. ‘The Shining’ is getting a re-release this Autumn, so we can see it then on the big screen, but probably not before. I saw it in the IFI some years ago, and its creepiness is really impressive on the big screen. ‘Mad Max’ was in the Screen last November. ‘Braveheart’ and ‘Michael Collins’ I can personally take or leave, but it’d be interesting to see how ‘The Commitments’ did in the Lighthouse recently for comparison on how a classic Irish film did. ‘Wall-E’ and ‘Zodiac’ are too recent to be revived (unless someone did a Pixar or Fincher season – ooh, a Fincher season!). ‘The Abyss’ . . . maybe the IFI missed a trick there when they had Michael Biehn over for Horrorthon last year, but ‘Aliens’ was still amazing (70mm sound, unbelievable!). ‘Star Wars’, George Lucas keeps tinkering with them so much, I doubt he allows screenings any more of the earlier versions. ‘LOADS’ of trashy horror, that’s what Horrorthon does, you need to lobby them! No offense, but where’s the branching out?

The point is, wheeling out the same old stuff over and over is always going to play to ever diminishing audiences. Too many films, too little time. You’re absolutely right that what the Screen is doing with ‘Serenity’ is shortsighted, they should be trying to get a new audience rather than getting the same people in again whose loyalty is to the film rather than the venue. Having said that, it seems to be working for the Lighthouse’s screenings of ‘Stop Making Sense’.

My last point, ‘sound + size = epic movie experience’ is never going to apply to the Screen. The sound bleeding into Screen One from the adjacent cinemas is one thing, but the fact that they’re screening from, at best, Blu-ray is shocking. The sound at ‘Serenity’ was awful. At least at the IFI, you know that the odd time they’re reduced to showing from Blu-ray, it’s the last resort, but at the Screen, it’s standard, and I have a huge problem paying full price admission for something that’s not much different from being at home.

See that's my problem with classic screenings right there. The Screen has settled on little other than 'easy' picks up until now. There's been very few curveballs or foreign language films. Just an awful lot of, to borrow your word, 'trashy' stuff.

Now maybe the IFI is in a better position to screen more unusual 'classics', and yeah they do tend to have a few retrospectives and the like every year. But I wish there was more. Something like a Ghibli or Satoshi Kon season (a solitary screening of Paprika is a good start). A Three Colours / Vengeance Trilogy triple bill. A (oh how I'd love this) Yojimbo / Sanjuro double bill. More silent films. Retrospectives for Kobayashi (was there one a few years ago?), Wong-Kar Wai, John Woo, Sergio Leone, Jacques Tati. Midnight screenings of Hausu or Brazil or Audition or Suspiria... One could go on.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen lots of great classics in the last two or three years, from Battleship Potemkin to Akira to The Thin Red Line. Also well aware a few of the above have been 'done' sometime in the relatively recent past. But I'd wish there was more than just the same old American choices, with more than just a projected DVD, and that a few more cinemas would embrace that.

I agree about the Screen, but they seem to be getting audiences, so best of luck to them.

A Ghibli retrospective is a good idea for the IFI, but when they did the anime seasons a few years ago, I don’t know how well they did. Screenings of the Three Colours/Vengeance trilogies isn’t really what they do, unless they’ve been reissued or are part of a larger retrospective, or so it seems to me. Likewise, random double bills or retrospectives without there being a reissue of someone’s big film doesn’t seem to be their thing. I think that’s fair enough, we’re back to too many films, too little time, and they fit in an awful lot every month.

Isn’t Kobayashi a video game designer?

They show Jacques Tati films seemingly fairly regularly (particularly ‘Playtime’). There wasn’t much of an audience for Leone’s ‘A Fistful Of Dynamite’ last year, even with Christopher Frayling introducing it. I know the IFI isn’t always about audiences, but it’d be nice if there was some enthusiasm shown for some of their less well-known programmes. And I think it’s harsh to say that they show DVDs, it’s been my experience that that’s the absolute last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

but when they did the anime seasons a few years ago, I don’t know how well they did.
    2 or 3 sold out screenings, and all the others were close to full. I'd f***ing love to see Mononoke (my favorite film) on the big screen.

• Advertisement

Themed evenings and weekly runs are a great idea, but seem like something only the Screen could do, given the IFI’s monthly planning. For example, I can’t see the IFI doing a run of the ‘Star Trek’ series, but that would really work in the Screen.

I assume Trashfest just did that once-off to get their name out in advance of the proper festival the Screen has promised us they’re doing this summer.

‘Pitch Black’, ‘The Fog’, ‘Tremors’ and ‘Matinee’ I would love to see on the big screen. Especially ‘Matinee’, that would be amazing.

The ‘Lord Of The Rings’ trilogy was shown in the Screen March of last year. ‘Jaws’, ‘Empire Of The Sun’ (in 70mm), ‘Schindler’s List’ and ‘Raiders Of The Lost Ark’ (twice) were all shown in the IFI last January. ‘2001’ has been shown a number of times by the IFI, usually in 70mm, and it’s an awesome thing to behold. ‘The Shining’ is getting a re-release this Autumn, so we can see it then on the big screen, but probably not before. I saw it in the IFI some years ago, and its creepiness is really impressive on the big screen. ‘Mad Max’ was in the Screen last November. ‘Braveheart’ and ‘Michael Collins’ I can personally take or leave, but it’d be interesting to see how ‘The Commitments’ did in the Lighthouse recently for comparison on how a classic Irish film did. ‘Wall-E’ and ‘Zodiac’ are too recent to be revived (unless someone did a Pixar or Fincher season – ooh, a Fincher season!). ‘The Abyss’ . . . maybe the IFI missed a trick there when they had Michael Biehn over for Horrorthon last year, but ‘Aliens’ was still amazing (70mm sound, unbelievable!). ‘Star Wars’, George Lucas keeps tinkering with them so much, I doubt he allows screenings any more of the earlier versions. ‘LOADS’ of trashy horror, that’s what Horrorthon does, you need to lobby them! No offense, but where’s the branching out?

The point is, wheeling out the same old stuff over and over is always going to play to ever diminishing audiences. Too many films, too little time. You’re absolutely right that what the Screen is doing with ‘Serenity’ is shortsighted, they should be trying to get a new audience rather than getting the same people in again whose loyalty is to the film rather than the venue. Having said that, it seems to be working for the Lighthouse’s screenings of ‘Stop Making Sense’.

My last point, ‘sound + size = epic movie experience’ is never going to apply to the Screen. The sound bleeding into Screen One from the adjacent cinemas is one thing, but the fact that they’re screening from, at best, Blu-ray is shocking. The sound at ‘Serenity’ was awful. At least at the IFI, you know that the odd time they’re reduced to showing from Blu-ray, it’s the last resort, but at the Screen, it’s standard, and I have a huge problem paying full price admission for something that’s not much different from being at home.

I'll give you that with the sound problems in the screen. they need to get that fixed.

Trashy horror during a horrorthon is fine but its so repetitive, they (IFI & Screen) churn out the same movies over and over again and often if there are two movies you want to see they are scheduled at the same time! (My experience anyway!)

Jaws was so effing good in the IFI. :D

When I say "sound + size = epic movie experience" I mean good sound and 2001 on the big screen is a huge difference to watching it at home, I don't care how good your tv & surround sound are.

Fincher season. Why has this not been done before!!

Hopefully what they are doing with the Junior Programmer campaign (needs to be renamed as its open to all ages!) will bring in some fresh ideas, I know I have submitted some ideas and encourage all of us to do so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Finally, a legitimate excuse to wear my cowl

• Advertisement

Seems like a late April Fool's joke to me! I doubt there's that much demand to see 1990 action movie that they'd screen it twice a day for a whole week without any prior advertising. :D

3691086.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What day was the Die Hard 2 meant to be? Yesterday?
    booourns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What day was the Die Hard 2 meant to be? Yesterday?
    booourns.

What? you missed it?

Looks like you live up to your User Name

Screen is showing Superman 1 and 2 before they go full Bat :cool:

Superman
    Monday 23rd of April 8pm

Superman 2
    Thursday 26th of April 8.30pm

From the IFI's Facebook page:

Get more bang for your buck in May with the IFI’s season of classic action movies including Terminator 2 (70mm), Die Hard (70mm), Robocop and First Blood.

What defines an action movie? It’s a slippery genre and one that perpetually reinvents itself while sticking to a s...et of conventions we all know and love; never quite achieving a critical consensus of legitimacy and long may it remain so. Heaven forbid that action movies ever become respectable. This May the IFI is celebrating the excitement around the release of the award-winning The Raid on May 18th with a fast, furious and unashamedly fun season of some of the landmark films in one of cinema’s great genres.

The season kicks off with Sylvester Stallone, one of the genre’s most enduring stars in the first Rambo First Blood (May 1st). With less of the über-violence than its sequels, here Rambo is a real human in an intense psychological drama punctuated by brutally effective action sequences.

Two of the all-time action classics are being shown in glorious 70mm. First, perhaps the holy grail of action, a career-defining performance from Bruce Willis in John McTiernan’s Die Hard (May 6th) as ordinary-guy-in-extraordinary-circumstances John McClane, trapped in an LA skyscraper while Alan Rickman and gang take the employees hostage. After all the sequels, homages, pastiches and rip-offs, the original Die Hard feels fresher than ever. Secondly, James Cameron’s pumped-up classic Terminator 2 (70mm, May 20th) shows Arnold Schwarzenegger, at the height of his phenomenal box-office power, as a reformed bad robot sent back in time to protect mankind’s future saviour. A thrilling foretaste of the tech-driven spectacle flicks that shaped the future of the genre.

Many of John Woo’s ‘80s innovations in Hong Kong are now ubiquitous but there’s nothing quite like the work of the master himself. Hard-Boiled (May 2nd) is the most audacious and astonishing of Woo’s ‘bullet ballets’ and cops don’t come cooler than Chow Yun-Fat’s jazz-loving badass Inspector ‘Tequila’ Yuen. Far more subversive Asian action fare can be found in Kinji Fukasaku’s Battle Royale (May 5th). In a dystopian future this savage proto-Hunger Games sees island-bound youths battle it out in a deadly game, with TV audiences tuning in for the results.

Twenty-five years have passed since Paul Verhoeven’s sci-fi satire Robocop (May 27th) was made. Featuring the artistry of SFX legend Rob Bottin, this deeply sardonic cyberpunk riff on the life of Christ remains a heavy metal masterpiece. Another true one-off of the genre, The Matrix (May 19th) alluded to everything from Alice in Wonderland to Descartes but it’s the Zen cool of Keanu Reaves and the magnificent action sequence that sold it to global audiences and big screen viewing is essential.

If all that isn’t enough punch for one month there are also screenings of Sean Connery’s James Bond in Goldfinger (May 26th) and Jason Statham, a cockney Charles Bronson, chasing life-or-death adrenaline hits in Crank (May 3rd) . And that should be enough for even the most high-octane of action fans, for a few weeks at least…

Bang for your Buck: Action Movies 101 – The Schedule

May 1st 20.50 First Blood
    May 2nd 20.40 Hard-Boiled
    May 3rd 20.50 Crank
    May 5th 16.10 Battle Royale
    May 6th 16.00 Die Hard (70mm)
    May 19th 16.10 The Matrix
    May 20th 16.00 Terminator 2: Judgement Day (70mm)
    May 26th 16.40 Goldfinger
    May 27th 16.30 Robocop

Also, as part of the season, there will be a preview screening of THE RAID on May 4th at 23.00. THE RAID continues at the IFI from May 18th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm... Battle Royale... yes...

Last time I saw that in a cinema I was a few metres away from where they shot the final scene in the film. Unfortunately, it was also unsubtitled and with dodgy 3D splatter effects, so a subtitled / 2D screening will be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hard Boiled and Battle Royale are definites for me,two of my favourite non horror flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

People have been talking back and forth about how the Screen or the IFI could show Classics, and I really think the IFI's Action month is the way to go. So you pick a genre, action, comedy, bromance, movies about cheese, and within that you can go pretty weird and wide within that - foreign language, cult, classic blockbuster.

This will appeal to a wider audience and ensure bums on seats, while still allowing them to screen the odd fairly obscure movie. I think that's a nice little line up and i've heard good things about Battle Royal so i'd love to go along to that.

T2 in 70mm. om om om. I wonder if it's the exteneded edition or not? Saw that 2 years ago in the Screen, and while it was great to see it on their big screen, the extended cut adds little for me, except time. All those "flashbacks" to the on fire kids in the playground, a bit too dystopic for me!

oh FYI for those people who are thinking of going to the Batman run in the Screen, there is a 10% discount if you mass buy tickets, only available at the box office. (i.e. the counter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

**** that, there's no way I am going to mass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Literally cannot wait to see these this month

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Tim Burton season announced at the Light House - Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands this weekend.

http://lighthousecinema.ie/article.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1197

Batman Season in the Screen

The first one was on yesterday, but the rest, and yes, I mean the rest... Returns, Forever, and robin, begins and dark knight are playing on upcoming Monday and Wednesday nights in the Screen. There was a 10% discount available to people who bought all the tickets (as I told ye previously!) but now seeing as the first movie has passed thats moot.

Still though...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQla85-U1pnN5R_Q_VdaYOvJMJYU4ax0dIG48Mb4r-IO_fiRkRa

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Anyone know what are the chances of getting Blade Runner shown in one of the cinemas in Dublin? I've always wanted to see it in the flicks and seeing as classic showings seem to be pretty popular.

Is there a mailing list or anything where you can put in requests or is it just films that become available?

Anyone know what are the chances of getting Blade Runner shown in one of the cinemas in Dublin? I've always wanted to see it in the flicks and seeing as classic showings seem to be pretty popular.

Is there a mailing list or anything where you can put in requests or is it just films that become available?

It has been shown a few times already but I'd say your best bet would be to go through the Screen Junior Programmers. (no age restriction!)

Die Hard in 70MM was so much fun the other day. Epic sound and picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Skinfull wrote: »
    It has been shown a few times already but I'd say your best bet would be to go through the Screen Junior Programmers. (no age restriction!)

NIce one, just sent them a mail there, hopefully I can get it on soon.

Cheers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

More action films. This time at the Light House. (from their website)

FIGHT HOUSE - CURATED BY GARETH EVANS, DIRECTOR OF THE RAID

It’s been a long time since both critics and audiences alike agreed so heartily on a blood-soaked action thriller, but THE RAID blasted its way around the festival circuit to awards, standing ovations, and general dropping of jaws. Winning both the Critics and Audience awards at this year’s Jameson Dublin International Film Festival, THE RAID is a relentless, clever, beautifully filmed piece of martial arts cinema. This film begs to be seen on the big screen, and more importantly, with an audience. Don’t miss our special preview screening on Sunday 13th May, followed by a week of FIGHT HOUSE films, all hand-picked by THE RAID director Gareth Evans.

THE RAID Sun 13th May, 8.30pm & 18th May 00.05
    Deep in the heart of Jakarta's slums lies an impenetrable derelict apartment building, a safe house for the city's most dangerous murderers, killers and gangsters. The building is considered untouchable by police until an elaborate raid is orchestrated by a special highly trained team. What ensues can only be described as a ballet of fast-paced, chaotic violence. Gripping, cleverly written and utterly relentless, The Raid is the most fun you’ll have in the cinema this year.

HARD BOILED (1992): Sun 13th May, 6.30pm
    The film that earned John Woo his place amongst the great action filmmakers, Hadr Boiled is a no holds barred action extravaganza, artfully choreographed and wildly entertaining.

AKIRA (1988): Mon 14th May, 6.20pm
    This cult classic Anime film, set in dystopian New Tokyo is an adaptation of the epic six-volume, 2,000 page manga novels of the same name. The thrilling action sequences, colourful characters and rousing soundtrack are all reasons why the film has emerged as a true animated classic.

OLD BOY (2003): Mon 14th May, 8.50pm
    Park Chan Wook’s second instalment in the Vengeance trilogy, Old Boy is part mystery, part action, part drama. Featuring the most versatile use of a hammer in all of cinema history, this unique masterpiece is a big screen must-see.

SHOGUN ASSASSIN (1980) Tue 15th May, 6.30pm
    A samurai sets out with his toddler son to avenge the death of his wife. This classic samurai adventure features some fantastic swordplay, beautiful cinematography and a serious amount of blood-letting.

THE WILD BUNCH (1969) Tue 15th May, 8.30pm
    Sam Peckinpah re-invented an entire genre with his gritty, violent western, The Wild Bunch, a film about a group of ageing, disillusioned outlaws in the last days of the Old West. FIGHT HOUSE is presenting the full Director’s Cut on the big screen for you to enjoy every grimy moment the way it was intended…big and loud!

JACKIE CHAN DOUBLE BILL: They don’t come much better than Jackie Chan and while those only familiar with his American output might doubt his legendary status, those of us who have seen and enjoyed his earlier work can attest to the fact that he is a true master of his craft. FIGHT HOUSE is showcasing Chan as a writer, director, choreographer and all-round action powerhouse in this Double Bill.

Police Story (1985) Wed 16th May, 6.30pm
    Police Story sees Chan kicking his way through innumerable thugs on the streets of Hong Kong trying to clear his name after being framed for the murder of a dirty cop.

Project A, Pt. 2 (1987) Wed 16th May, 8.45pm
    Never one to shy away from slapstick, Jackie Chan directs and stars in this sequel to the tremendously popular, period-set, Project A. Mixing comedy and action, as he does so well, Chan creates a sequel that surpasses the original in terms of acrobatics, choreography and sheer spectacle. And don’t worry if you haven’t seen the first film. It’s pretty straight-forward.

MERANTAU WARRIOR (2010) Thur 17th May, 9.30
    Before THE RAID, Gareth Evans first film, MERANTAU WARRIOR showcased his skill at creating breathless action sequences and the tremendous screen presence of his star Iko Uwais. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to catch Gareth’s first film on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

e_e wrote: »
    Die Hard in 70MM was so much fun the other day. Epic sound and picture.

Indeed it was! So much so that I ran out afterwards and bought tickets to Terminator 2, The Matrix and Robocop :D

Saw Terminator 2 recently enough in the screen, but it wasn't in 70mm.

I cannot wait for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Indeed it was! So much so that I ran out afterwards and bought tickets to Terminator 2, The Matrix and Robocop :D

Saw Terminator 2 recently enough in the screen, but it wasn't in 70mm.

I cannot wait for that one.

When?? Where??

Advertisement