Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    When?? Where??
    Scroll up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Akira? **** yeah!

Better be the subtitled one though...none of this dubbed crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Tallon wrote: »
    Scroll up

You scroll up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Any chances of the original Indiana Jones trilogy being shown anywhere?

Would love to see these on the big screen...have been a big fan since I was a kid!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Would love to see these on the big screen...have been a big fan since I was a kid!

Its not long since they were played in the UCI chain and I think the Screen dabbled too.

On another note.. Batman Returns was brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

e_e wrote: »
    Die Hard in 70MM was so much fun the other day. Epic sound and picture.

Possibly my favorite cinema experience ever. Been waiting ages to see Die Hard on the big screen. Think I might have a little hearing damage now from the awesome sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

They showed them in the IFI back in January fwiw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Akira was shown at the Horrorthon too... would be nice to see some other anime get a look in, although I know Gareth Evans programmed it this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I was terribly ill during the horrorthon last year (despite buying about half a dozen tickets for it) so at least I'll finally get a chance to see Akira in a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone know what kind of formats the Lighthouse tend to show classic films in actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Original prints where possible but if prints can't be provided by the distributors, or have terrible image/sound quality due to age, then it's Blu-Ray...

Anyone who was at Batman Returns on Wednesday night... did you think there was an issue with the sound? It was way too loud and the bass was too high. Either I only noticed it at the start and I got used to it, or they fixed it. Hopefully it wont be an issue for the rest of the batmans.

Also... Akira in the lighthouse at 6.20 and Batman in the Screen at 8.20... whats the chances of my making both? Screen never starts the movies on time so I'll probably have about 10 minutes IF the lighthouse does start on time... EEEK!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

As part of the Screen's Trashfest run-up, they're showing Showgirls, "Paul Verhoeven’s 1995 cult classic (sic)" on Friday May 25th.
    I wouldn't plan on going but it's one of those things that I just might be in the mood for on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Skinfull wrote: »
    Also... Akira in the lighthouse at 6.20 and Batman in the Screen at 8.20... whats the chances of my making both? Screen never starts the movies on time so I'll probably have about 10 minutes IF the lighthouse does start on time... EEEK!

Unfortunately, the listed run-time for Akira is 125 minutes so it looks like your out of luck. A bicycle would be the quickest way of getting from Smithfield to the Screen. If you don't have one, you could use a Dublin Bike though the bike stand locations at Smithfield and Townsend St. aren't optimal for either cinema.

Ant wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the listed run-time for Akira is 125 minutes so it looks like your out of luck. A bicycle would be the quickest way of getting from Smithfield to the Screen. If you don't have one, you could use a Dublin Bike though the bike stand locations at Smithfield and Townsend St. aren't optimal for either cinema.

Yeah Akira will be cutting into Batman time but only if both start on time.

Akira on time + Batman late = perfect monday viewing!!! :D

I do have a bike but my movie buddy doesn't. Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Ant wrote: »
    As part of the Screen's Trashfest run-up, they're showing Showgirls, "Paul Verhoeven’s 1995 cult classic (sic)" on Friday May 25th.
    I wouldn't plan on going but it's one of those things that I just might be in the mood for on the day.

yer one from Saved by the Bell. Nude. yaaaay!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

yer one from Saved by the Bell. Nude. yaaaay!!! :)

Well that depends, which one?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Well that depends, which one?!

Jessie.

****FALSE ALARM, PEOPLE! FALSE ALARM!!!****

Went to see Batman Forever in the Screen last night for the first time (tomorrow is the first time for batman and robin) and oh man was I surprised!! Really enjoyed it. Laughed loads and gasped in all the right places. Why does it get no love? The crowd were quite stoic last night and I'm pretty sure I was annoying everyone in there but hell this is not a serious movie, when you hear the comedic sound effects. And the piste de resistance when he is trying on his new batsuit and you get teh speed sounds and close ups including the rubber clad butt shot. LOVED IT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Went to see Batman Forever in the Screen last night for the first time (tomorrow is the first time for batman and robin) and oh man was I surprised!! Really enjoyed it. Laughed loads and gasped in all the right places. Why does it get no love?

Because, unless something like this is happening, Batman should not be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Went to see Batman Forever in the Screen last night for the first time (tomorrow is the first time for batman and robin) and oh man was I surprised!! Really enjoyed it. Laughed loads and gasped in all the right places. Why does it get no love? The crowd were quite stoic last night and I'm pretty sure I was annoying everyone in there but hell this is not a serious movie, when you hear the comedic sound effects. And the piste de resistance when he is trying on his new batsuit and you get teh speed sounds and close ups including the rubber clad butt shot. LOVED IT!

You are in for a treat with Batman and Robin. A stunning piece of cinema.

Well I saw Batman and Robin. Or should I say Batman and Robin and Batgirl and Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze and Bane. Christ was that a bad movie. No ficus, no threat, no real POV of the citizens of Gotham, just a bunch of non superheroes talking and not enough fighting.

Seriously, Bane? Did they just read a character synopsis from wikipedia? He was a glorified bouncer, and not even a good one at that. Poison IVy could have been an interesting charactr but her demise was terrible. Much like that of Boba Fett, she just kinda fell over in the end.

As for Batgirl, pure needless distraction from Clooney. :) Who was awful as Batman. Cant really judge him on his Bruce wayne, as he only played him for all of 3 seconds. Ah well. Batman Begins on Monday will cheer me up! :D

On another note... Raiders of the Lost Ark is playing in Meeting house square on the 14th June. Tickets are FREE and go on "sale" on the 3rd.

IndianaJones.jpg

I guess what I should have posted is... There are a bunch of movies playing in the Meeting house square open cinema, all for FREE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Anywhere in cork showing classic movies, or even decent independent current releases.
    Since the kino closed it's mostly main stream movies down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 remington82

All

After my original plan to show the original Star Wars trilogy ended (Thank you George Lucas) my next insane venture is showing "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" back to back in Glor in Ennis on July 14th (6 Days before the new one)

Glor have been very positive in their responses and are up for showing the movies, although im waiting on confirmation of them being cool with the double header..

Since Im organising the event, it means I have to get numbers sorted to ensure the event goes ahead , Im waiting on final confirmation of cost from Glor,

So, who is interested???

Yes, Yes, Im well aware screen cinema in Dublin has shown the Batman Movies...but I'm trying to get it done down here.

Here's the facebook page, details need to be changed on since the original idea has now been tweaked...if you fancy it, confirm attendance, invite your friends and share...

http://www.facebook.com/events/232748073502251/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I guess what I should have posted is... There are a bunch of movies playing in the Meeting house square open cinema, all for FREE!!!

aliens :D Always miss the tickets for meeting house square, reminders set on phone now

...my next insane venture is showing "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" back to back in Glor in Ennis on July 14th (6 Days before the new one)...

http://www.facebook.com/events/232748073502251/

Fair play. This is a great idea. I wont be trekking to Ennis for it but I really hope you pull it off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

--LOS-- wrote: »
    aliens :D Always miss the tickets for meeting house square, reminders set on phone now

They mostly come at night........mostly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Goldfinger is on this Saturday in the IFI at 4:40pm

EDIT: Robocop on Sunday at 4:30pm. Also in the IFI

Advertisement