Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shandon Summer Screening

Shandon Summer Screening

Shandon Summer Screening presents an open air screening of War of the Buttons
    Time: 19:00

Date:
    Saturday 18th August 2012

Shandon Summer Screening presents an open air screening of the locally produced and critically acclaimed film War of the Buttons. This free family event is being held in conjunction with National Heritage week.

Soak up the atmosphere of this historical area while enjoying this humorous nostalgic film which explores childhood in Ireland, friendship, loyalty and the pointless nature of war. Starring Colm Meaney this film will appeal to both young and old alike.

This is a picnic style event. Attendees are encouraged to bring rugs, seating and refreshments for their enjoyment.

This is a FREE TICKETED event. Tickets available from St. Anne’s Church Shandon. Gates open 6.30pm

Please Note: Parking is limited in the area so where possible please leave cars at home.

For further information see https://www.facebook.com/events/421278407917885/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

This is brilliant. I really hope you get the weather for it. The more of a success an event like this is, the more likelihood of a repeat performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shandon Summer Screening

thank you skinfull.

I'd like to highlight that this event was organised by a local shandon resident with a love of cinema who grew up next to the park, Dominic O Callaghan. With the support of Cork Community Art Link, Rose-Ann Kidney of Goldie Fish events and Project Coordinator Aoife Potter-Cogan this event is now happening.

The event has been funded through relentless fundraising from local businesses and companies to whom we are very grateful.

We sincerely hope that this will be the first of many open air screenings in St. Anne's Park and Free family events in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Hey, anyone know if theres tickets left for breakfast club or pretty in pink this weekend? tis my bday weekend so im hoping so :D
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Seven Year Itch is on tonight in the lighthouse at 8.20

220px-Seven_year_itch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

lc180 wrote: »
    Here's the list from the link:
    Pretty in Pink August 12th 13.00

Saw this earlier today. Though the sound and picture quality of the print wasn't great, it was still a very enjoyable film (I'd give it 8/10). I was surprised by the ending because I hadn't seen it in many a year and had got the plot mixed up in my head with Some Kind of Wonderful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Orson Welles' playful, eccentric F For Fake is playing at the IFI for a week at the end of the month. A clever and entertaining slice of satire.

Weekend at Bernies - Lighthouse - Thur 6th Sept - 8.30PM

berniewwek.jpg

I know it was in the cinema recently but... The Tall Ships are in town next week and there is a wealth of activities on including this one...
    Floating Cinema schedule:
    Jaws – (Running time: 130 minutes) Sat 25th 9pm-11pm FREE!!!

The main feature of the weekend and cinemas most classic ocean terror. It’s Jaws. When a gigantic great white shark begins to menace the small island community of Amity, a police chief, a marine scientist and grizzled fisherman set out to stop it.
    Directed by Stephen Speilberg
    Starring Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss

JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

• Advertisement

Its only right to post the rest of the floating cinema flicks that are on over the fest this week. The cinema is in the lock / basin that is beside the Grand Canal Theatre, its free entry, first come first served, I have NO IDEA how this will work or if they will have some sort of stand / seating or if we'll all be sitting cross legged on the pier... Anyways...

Thursday 23rd at 9pm - Planet Ocean

Visuel-Planet-Ocean.jpg

Friday 24th at 9pm - The Life Aquatic

life_aquatic_with_steve_zissou_ver2.jpg

Saturday 25th at 9pm - Jaws

JAWS1.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Don't suppose you have a link with more information for this floating cinema thing Skinfull ? Sounds cool !

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Don't suppose you have a link with more information for this floating cinema thing Skinfull ? Sounds cool !

Sure its in the first post... Tall Ships Festival Schedule

My favourite thread on the Films forum seems to have been neglected over the past few weeks. :( I thought I'd better remedy the situation:

There was a great atmosphere down at the Grand Canal when I saw Jaws on the Saturday of the Tall Ships Festival. The screen wasn't huge but it was adequate for the task while the sound system was better than I had anticipated (they even had speakers from the Grand Canal Theatre to provide "surround sound"). Jaws was good fun; there were cheers from the large crowd when the shark was finally killed.

In the mean-time, the IFI has screened a number of classic films from the past 20 years as they're celebrating their 20th anniversary at Eustace Street. Unfortunately, I'm back studying at night so I only got to see one of them. :( For the last week of September, there's still the opportunity to see Persepolis, Pan's Labyrinth and Run Lola Run (I caught all of these in the cinema when they originally came out so I don't mind too much not being able to see them again on the big screen).

On the other hand, I was lucky to be able to catch a one-off screening of the 1996 restoration of Hitchcock's masterpiece, Vertigo at the IFI. It was displayed on Ireland's only 70mm projector and the film was introduction by one of the IFI's projectionists. Then, earlier this afternoon, I caught the immensely enjoyable spy thriller, North by Northwest in the Ligththouse who have just started their Hitchcock season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ant - posted this in the IFI20 thread fwiw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I did like the idea of introductions before the screenings. Guy talking about Ugetsu was very much approaching it from the smug academic side, but some interesting and helpful observations. Spirited Away was introduced by an animator, who was more enthusiastic than insightful, but still a nice intro.

Not practical for every screening, and would surely piss many people, but was a pleasant bonus for these.

Renn wrote: »
    Ant - posted this in the IFI20 thread fwiw.

Only just seen that thread now. Thanks.
    I did like the idea of introductions before the screenings. Guy talking about Ugetsu was very much approaching it from the smug academic side, but some interesting and helpful observations. Spirited Away was introduced by an animator, who was more enthusiastic than insightful, but still a nice intro.

Not practical for every screening, and would surely piss many people, but was a pleasant bonus for these.

I thought it was great to see a real live projectionist - an increasingly rare species ;) I found it interesting to learn that VistaVision was a higher definition format than regular 35mm film and they used 70mm when they restored the film in 1996 so they could replicate the original medium as close as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

bit of a way off but to keep the thread going...

The Shining - Oct 31st 20:30 Lighthouse

Bring it on!!!

220px-Shining-kubrik.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

paulieeye wrote: »
    bit of a way off but to keep the thread going...

The Shining - Oct 31st 20:30 Lighthouse

Bring it on!!!

220px-Shining-kubrik.jpg

Wonder will do they a fancy dress :P

Ill bring the axe ;)

Wonder will do they a fancy dress :P

Ill bring the axe ;)

I'll bring the door... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Skinfull wrote: »
    I'll bring the door... :)

Well thats sorted what about Wendy and the knife :P

Who want to be Wendy ;)

Back on track I really can't wait for this as I havent seen this on the big screen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

thats halloween sorted with the only horror movie ever to give me nightmares..."i'm gonna bash em right the fcuk in!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

According to my mate in cineworld - they are doing the same thing! :)

Baraka is getting a digital restoration and re-release in the middle of October according to the new IFI brochure, along with John Cassavatte's Husbands. Looking forward to both - Cassavatte's has been cited as an influence on many directors I'm quite fond of, but have never actually seen one of his films :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Baraka is getting a digital restoration and re-release in the middle of October according to the new IFI brochure, along with John Cassavatte's Husbands. Looking forward to both - Cassavatte's has been cited as an influence on many directors I'm quite fond of, but have never actually seen one of his films :o

Can't wait:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Baraka is getting a digital restoration and re-release in the middle of October according to the new IFI brochure
    Awesome! Hopefully this new restoration will be included on the Blu-ray two-pack of Baraka & Samsara due out in December.

Not only is the Lighthouse Cinema showing an advance screening of the extended cut of The Shining on Halloween night, they have Fright House, a week of great horror films starting with Dario Argento's Suspiria on Fri 26th October. Lots of classics from the late 70s and 80s such as Child's Play, Nightmare on Elm St, Poltergeist and Halloween. They also have the black and white version of The Mist which was previously shown two years ago in The Screen.

Ah you bet me to it Ant. Fair play... Frighthouse - Horrorthon in the Lighthouse

Suspiria - Fri 26th Oct, 8.30pm
    Suspiria.jpg

Sat 27th Oct – 8.00pm & 10.05pm
    80’s DOUBLE-BILL
    Childs Play
    Childs_Play.jpg

Nightmare on Elm St
    A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street.jpg

The Mist - Sun 28th Oct – 8.30pm
    The_Mist.jpg

Poltergeist - Monday 29th Oct – 8.30pm
    Poltergeist.jpg

Halloween - Tuesday 30th – 8.30pm
    Halloween.jpg

Wed 31st – 6.20pm & 8.30pm
    ROOM 237
    Room_237.jpg

The Shining
    The_Shining.jpg

Skinfull wrote: »
    Ah you bet me to it Ant. Fair play...

Sure, you've been slacking off since you last posted the about the Tall Ships outdoor cinema. I thought some one better step up. ;)

Kudos re. the layout of your post with thumbnails of the film posters!

• Advertisement

Ant wrote: »
    Sure, you've been slacking off since you last posted the about the Tall Ships outdoor cinema. I thought some one better step up. ;)

Kudos re. the layout of your post with thumbnails of the film posters!

Ah sure I only stole them from the Lighthouse site.

Yeah well since the screen has dropped the ball I had to turn my attentions to the lighthouse. Glad someone kept the masses informed! :D

Advertisement