Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Apologies... I thought i had already posted about the Hitchcock Fest in the lighthouse... They already showed Rebecca, Notorious and North by Northwest. Its been a particularly successful fest (first screening over sold an the rest have been near sell outs!) so if you are at all interested, grab some tickets as soon as you can.

Vertigo
    October 10th, 20:30
    October 14th, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBUZkeFJOjB52n4TVceRrwtBh9kk8LRdSjNit5NBS14AM6j2kr

Psycho
    October 17th, 20:30
    October 21st, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz6RIJJFfZwjjlp7px90lz7icIDUniIXb7dgI1hPRUx9fG81-W

The Birds
    October 24th, 20:30
    October 28th, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLqufCWtFvq9HZ0E8uSydxDLBLOoICGpRjrLw8q-3h6nSUf7hz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Skinfull wrote: »
    Apologies... I thought i had already posted about the Hitchcock Fest in the lighthouse... They already showed Rebecca, Notorious and North by Northwest. Its been a particularly successful fest (first screening over sold an the rest have been near sell outs!) so if you are at all interested, grab some tickets as soon as you can.

Vertigo
    October 10th, 20:30
    October 14th, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBUZkeFJOjB52n4TVceRrwtBh9kk8LRdSjNit5NBS14AM6j2kr

Psycho
    October 17th, 20:30
    October 21st, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz6RIJJFfZwjjlp7px90lz7icIDUniIXb7dgI1hPRUx9fG81-W

The Birds
    October 24th, 20:30
    October 28th, 15:30
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLqufCWtFvq9HZ0E8uSydxDLBLOoICGpRjrLw8q-3h6nSUf7hz

Is Vertigo on 35mm or a digital projection do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Is Vertigo on 35mm or a digital projection do you know?

When they screened North by Northwest a few weeks ago, it was a digital projection. I haven't been to any of the others since then so can't say if it's true for all of them.

Ant wrote: »
    When they screened North by Northwest a few weeks ago, it was a digital projection. I haven't been to any of the others since then so can't say if it's true for all of them.

Was digital, good movie but not a patch on The Birds, Psycho or especially Rear Window.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oooooohhhhh...

Two screenings of Baraka in the IFI next week - Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st @ 18.30 - will be in glorious, glorious 70mm!

http://filmireland.net/2012/10/11/exclusive-release-of-ron-frickes-baraka-at-the-ifi-to-include-two-special-70mm-screenings/

Tickets totally booked for Saturday. Should be an absolutely majestic cinema trip worth going out of one's way for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oooooohhhhh...

Two screenings of Baraka in the IFI next week - Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st @ 18.30 - will be in glorious, glorious 70mm!

http://filmireland.net/2012/10/11/exclusive-release-of-ron-frickes-baraka-at-the-ifi-to-include-two-special-70mm-screenings/

Tickets totally booked for Saturday. Should be an absolutely majestic cinema trip worth going out of one's way for.

Baraka - Life After Mortal Kombat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Drive In Horror Movie Theater for Halloween :D

http://www.tattersalls.ie/movies/

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Drive In Horror Movie Theater for Halloween :D

http://www.tattersalls.ie/movies/

Wow! This looks like great fun! I presume its €20 per car regardless of the amount of people.

Wow! This looks like great fun! I presume its €20 per car regardless of the amount of people.

If you're going on your own be sure to wear a hockey mask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Wow! This looks like great fun!

I remember when I was a kid 2FM did some some drive-in movies at the Phoenix Park racecourse. You watched a giant screen about 50-100metres away and got the audio track to the movie by tuning your radio into 2FM.

It was a genuinely enjoyable experience. Blew the simple outdoor on a chair movie experience right out of the water.

I can only imagine it was confusing for people at home turning on their radio and listening to an audio track of a movie on the radio!

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I remember when I was a kid 2FM did some some drive-in movies at the Phoenix Park racecourse. You watched a giant screen about 50-100metres away and got the audio track to the movie by tuning your radio into 2FM.

It was a genuinely enjoyable experience. Blew the simple outdoor on a chair movie experience right out of the water.

I can only imagine it was confusing for people at home turning on their radio and listening to an audio track of a movie on the radio!

They still do this. Every sunday in July. I dunno about it being sponsored by 2FM though.

Saw Phycho last night in the Lighthouse and it was brilliant. Next week is Birds or as I like to call it "The Birds that couldnt slow down!" Cant wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Baraka was fantastic in the IFI today. The print was a little jumpy at the beginning and for around a minute in the middle, but it was mostly crystal clear. Really great cinema experience, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who can make it tomorrow. Was surprised to see the cinema only about half full: thought 70mm Baraka would be a big draw due to the popularity of Samsara recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The Sugar Club is showing Billy Wilder's The Apartment on November 3rd as part of 'Film Fatale'. Details here.

Baraka was fantastic in the IFI today. The print was a little jumpy at the beginning and for around a minute in the middle, but it was mostly crystal clear. Really great cinema experience, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who can make it tomorrow. Was surprised to see the cinema only about half full: thought 70mm Baraka would be a big draw due to the popularity of Samsara recently.

I too was there on Saturday and I was also surprised that there were so few in attendance. The jumpiness of the film was distracting, alright but it was still a wonderful, beautiful, gripping, emotional, thought provoking and awe-inspiring cinematic experience.

Since I started working during the day and studying at night, opportunities for cinema-going have become tragically few. :( I still haven't had the chance to see Samsara and I'm really hoping the Screen continue to show it - at least until next weekend.

Be warned that if you're sitting at the back, you'll be crouched down trying to look at the screen through the gap between the front seats and you'll have a sore neck by the end of the film. It's not that great an experience. :cool:
    They still do this. Every sunday in July. I dunno about it being sponsored by 2FM though.

The Phoenix Park Racecourse closed down a good 20 years ago. I want in on your time machine!

Unfortunately couldn't make the 70mm showings but goung to see the digital one on Thursday, won't be the same but still better than watching it on the telly.

Be warned that if you're sitting at the back, you'll be crouched down trying to look at the screen through the gap between the front seats and you'll have a sore neck by the end of the film. It's not that great an experience. :cool:

The Phoenix Park Racecourse closed down a good 20 years ago. I want in on your time machine!

Not in the racecourse, but in the pheonix park.

I too was there on Saturday and I was also surprised that there were so few in attendance. The jumpiness of the film was distracting, alright but it was still a wonderful, beautiful, gripping, emotional, thought provoking and awe-inspiring cinematic experience.

Since I started working during the day and studying at night, opportunities for cinema-going have become tragically few. :( I still haven't had the chance to see Samsara and I'm really hoping the Screen continue to show it - at least until next weekend.

You should definitely try and get to see Samsara if at all possible. It's pretty much more of the same (some sequences effectively repeated), and possibly even a little weaker than Baraka (the score is one thing that stood out as much more distinctive in the first film) but it's still a great cinema film.

Restored Lawrence of Arabia getting a digital re release from 23rd to 30th of November in the IFI, seen the trailer before Baraka there recently, looks lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Would Boogie Nights be an ok date movie!?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Faith+1 wrote: »

If they're not into it, they're not for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Faith+1 wrote: »

It might set unreasonable expectations after that shot at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

The Shining (US Cut) is getting released in selected Cinemas today.

Cineworld,IFI and the Lighthouse.

Missed it on Halloween due to be it been sold out :(

Should be there @ IFI to see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

The Shining (US Cut) is getting released in selected Cinemas today.

Cineworld,IFI and the Lighthouse.

Missed it on Halloween due to be it been sold out :(

Should be there @ IFI to see it :)

list of scenes cut from US version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/alternateversions

So went to the IFI an hour before Showtime and guess what......

It was sold out :(

So quick phone call to the lighthouse and wahay 3rd time lucky :P

All was not lost in town, stopped off in HMV on grafton street and some new bargins to be had. Got the Godfather boxset on bluray for €15 :P

So going to see it at 22:20 @ the lighthouse.

The Lighthouse Cinema - Smithfield

From Dusk til Dawn Friday 16th Nov - 10.30PM
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqu5VyJiqfV7OVHYWzY-ZcL6yDldH93wJNkjZSNLgddCCJ3zdZiQ

The Lost boys - Sunday 18th Nov - 6.30PM
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT45CoGT_X0QNbMUYn14rMHB3W-9UTQ6P2bsDhEKRQOQJPEuspJ

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

seems like they're showing the 3 LOTR in December as well in the Lighthouse. Hope they are getting the bums on seats in there!

Feu wrote: »
    seems like they're showing the 3 LOTR in December as well in the Lighthouse. Hope they are getting the bums on seats in there!

Would be going but I'm working that weekend :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The Bean Bag Cinema are screening Breakfast at Tiffanys in the Morgan Hotel at 6:30pm tonight, Friday 9th November.

1 Person - Single Bean Bag: €10
    Includes: Entry fee: €1 + Bean Bag Hire: €9
    Single Bean Bags: 80cm x 80xm

2 Persons - Double Bean Bag: €15
    Includes: Entry fees: €2 + Bean Bag Hire: €13
    Double Bean bags: 1.8m x 1.4m

Advertisement