Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

The IFI is screening the epic Lawrence of Arabia for a whole week. It seems the IFI previously screened a 70mm restoration from 1989 but this time around, it's a digital restoration (from the original negative). Very much looking forward to this as I've only ever seen bits of the film on TV and always meant to get it on DVD and watch it in full.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

does any body know where i could find out where certain xmas films could/might/will be showing??

maybe is there anywhere i could get someone to show a film for me:P its mainly a romantic gesture im looking to do of osmeone could help me out that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

A V A wrote: »
    does any body know where i could find out where certain xmas films could/might/will be showing??

maybe is there anywhere i could get someone to show a film for me:P its mainly a romantic gesture im looking to do of osmeone could help me out that would be great

Lighthouse just announced their Xmas Specials :D

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1843

Ive already booked Die Hard :D

To mark the release of the The Hobbit, the Screen Cinema is showing each of the three Lord of the Rings films on November 26th, 27th and 29th respectively.

c86b0e8844940a1f32591c3766c58684-lotr-176x152.jpeg

*Thought I'd take a leaf out of Skinfull's book and include an image

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Was The Commitments re-shown on the big screen?
    Would love to see it sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Was The Commitments re-shown on the big screen?
    Would love to see it sometime.

Yep it was shown in the Screen cinema March last year, great seeing it on the big screen, im sure itll be shown again though, possibly in the Lighthouse since it seems to be the place for the classic movies this year.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Yep it was shown in the Screen cinema last March, great seeing it on the big screen, im sure itll be shown again though, possibly in the Lighthouse since it seems to be the place for the classic movies this year.

Can't wait. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Elf is on in the Lighthouse on Saturday. :)

Lighthouse just announced their Xmas Specials :D

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1843

Ive already booked Die Hard :D

Oh Yes!!!! Well that just put the cherry on a great xmas this year methinks, once I can get tickets easily etc, I cannot wait for all of them but especially The Muppet Xmas Carol!!!!! Its been my favourite xmas movie, no.1, for years and years and havent seen it on the big screen since i was about 5 or 6 but always wanted to! oh I cant wait! :D:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Home Alone, Dec 8, Lighthouse Theatre... Merry frickin Christmas :)

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Home Alone, Dec 8, Lighthouse Theatre... Merry frickin Christmas :)

:D:D:D:D I cannot wait!!!!

I believe Die Hard is on, on the 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Princess Bride is showing in the Lighthouse on Mon 3rd December at 8.

The Princess Bride is showing in the Lighthouse on Mon 3rd December at 8.

Really want to see this on the big screen, only actually saw it for the first time recently and its so awesome I cant believe I havent seen before this tbh, anyone know is their many tickets left? Just in case! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Really want to see this on the big screen, only actually saw it for the first time recently and its so awesome I cant believe I havent seen before this tbh, anyone know is their many tickets left? Just in case! :)

There's still tickets available: http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/?dIndex=5&PHPSESSID=m9hpq8qv8o679ra022gtq2oce5

It's a Wonderful Life, Bad Santa and Scrooged playing in the IFI in December.

http://www.ifi.ie/christmasattheifi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IFI also upping the game with retrospectives by running a full retrospective of Hitchcock films - all (surviving) features plus shorts / alternate versions (curious what they mean by the latter).

Starting with his earliest films in December, moving onwards 'til March. Wonder if they'll go the full hog and have the stuff he directed for Alfred Hitchcock Presents etc...

http://www.ifi.ie/hitchcock-part-one

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

alternate versions (curious what they mean by the latter).[/QUOTE[/URL]]

Something like Mary, the German version of Murder!:

http://www.ifi.ie/film/mary/

There were also two versions of Blackmail, one sound, one silent. Doubt they'll do the TV stuff though.

I was delighted to see this post and then noticed that the IFI had posted me their brochure for December which has the same information. Looking forward to seeing some of Hitchcock's lesser known work.
    Starting with his earliest films in December, moving onwards 'til March.

Unfortunately, they're not screening the films in chronological order - which I'd prefer. The films being screened in December are from the 20s to the 50s.
    IFI wrote:
    Rather than screening the films in chronological order, programmes have been selected thematically in accordance with the groupings used by the British Film Institute in their recent retrospective of the same name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I noticed that when I was investigating further (although the BFI website is awful for trying to find out what the thematic seasons actually are :rolleyes:). Just saw that there were a few early films in there and presumed it was going to chronological, followed by a post here in a haze of not reading the small print.

Still, a monster of a season. Hopefully get to a couple, especially the earlier ones I have yet to get around to!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Lodger is superb. Probably one of Hitch's best films actually - apart from the ending which was obviously forced on him by the studio, but he still manages to work a bit of ambiguity in. I've heard mixed things about the new score by Nitin Sawhney. I would have preferred the Ashley Irwin version, which it seems wasn't even included on the recent Blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

:( Die Hard Sold out in the lighthouse tomorrow! Damn!

:( Die Hard Sold out in the lighthouse tomorrow! Damn!
    Don't be surprised if they screen it again before Christmas though.

Saw it on 70MM in the IFI earlier this year, immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

e_e wrote: »

Best cinema experience I've ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

e_e wrote: »

I think they are - hope so :D - Get to wear my Yippee Ki Yay tee :)
    fig,cranberry,mens,ffffff.jpg

Booked my tickets the minute I saw it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

While not exactly a "classic" as it came out 4 years ago, it looks like Cineworld will be opening their new IMAX screen with a showing of the Dark Knight next Wedensday 12th. I can't find it anywhere on their website but it showed up and let me get to the booking stage on the official Android app. The showings are at 17:10 and 20:30 (it doesn't specify IMAX but the price is about €16 so it must be).

Also, Reservoir Dogs is being re-released for it's 20th anniversary on 15th January: http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/5845?cinema=75&date=week

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

grimm2005 wrote: »
    While not exactly a "classic" as it came out 4 years ago, it looks like Cineworld will be opening their new IMAX screen with a showing of the Dark Knight next Wedensday 12th. I can't find it anywhere on their website but it showed up and let me get to the booking stage on the official Android app. The showings are at 17:10 and 20:30 (it doesn't specify IMAX but the price is about €16 so it must be).

Also, Reservoir Dogs is being re-released for it's 20th anniversary on 15th January: http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/5845?cinema=75&date=week

Here is TDK

https://www.cineworld.ie/booking/774a6c79384e78717531527963364f3238373733504e6b327569513d?cinema=75&filmEdi=27564&date=20121212&time=17:10&key=internal&cookieLevel=1111&locale=IE&secure=true&gbLocale=false&mapApiKey=Aj8bhxskJR1S8CqbKYkL4SpvWzacmzzB2iTfZSwi-HFLHpPN6ISfu8wccbH6Rra4

Don't waste your money on TDK in Cineworld. It's not the 70mm IMAX version that would actually be worth shelling out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I got this email off Cineworld a few days ago

Free Taster Sessions

We will also be holding free sessions for our customers to come and get a flavour of what IMAX is all about. Come along to any of our free of charge open screenings on Saturday 8th December ahead of the official opening. The screenings are at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Wednesday the 12th is the Dark Knight RISES not TDK! The website has it wrong!

Advertisement