Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wednesday the 12th is the Dark Knight RISES not TDK! The website has it wrong!

Since when are films from within the same year considered worthy of inclusion in "classic movies" threads!!! A classic is something which, with time (from over 15 - 20 years ago at the very least), gains a growing reputation over a considerable number of years not a popular Blockbuster from a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Well if you missed Die Hard on in the Lighthouse, they are showing it again on the 21st of December.

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=tickets&perfCode=30797

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Since when are films from within the same year considered worthy of inclusion in "classic movies" threads!!! A classic is something which, with time (from over 15 - 20 years ago at the very least), gains a growing reputation over a considerable number of years not a popular Blockbuster from a few months ago.

Hey I didn't say it was - The poster pointed out the website said the Darek Knight I was just letting people know that it is DKR incase people got dissapointed after booking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Well if you missed Die Hard on in the Lighthouse, they are showing it again on the 21st of December.

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=tickets&perfCode=30797
    They just had to make it at the most awkward time for people who rely on Dublin bus to get in and out of the city. :pac:

e_e wrote: »
    They just had to make it at the most awkward time for people who rely on Dublin bus to get in and out of the city. :pac:

:D yea that is very very true !!!

Was great on Tuesday, so Ive booked by ticket to see it again :P Screen 1 this time too :)

• Advertisement

Guess I'll just pop in the DVD on Christmas eve. :)

NOOOOOOOO - you need to see it on the big screen. The atmosphere was amazing on Tuesday. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It really is essential Christmas viewing.

Kiith wrote: »
    It really is essential Christmas viewing.

Sure its the best Christmas Film :D

NOOOOOOOO - you need to see it on the big screen. The atmosphere was amazing on Tuesday. :D
    Already have! During IFI's action season back in May. ;)

• Advertisement

Already have! During IFI's action season back in May. ;)

I missed in that weekend as I was working. :(

I believe Pulp Fiction will be on in the Lighthouse Soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Would people be expecting the Home alone viewing at the Lighthouse tomorrow at 1.0pm to sell out? I was going to book tickets but am not sure just how many kids I'll have with me, as yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Would people be expecting the Home alone viewing at the Lighthouse tomorrow at 1.0pm to sell out? I was going to book tickets but am not sure just how many kids I'll have with me, as yet! :D

Well that was just a whole heap of fun :D

poster.jpg

Bad Santa is playing tonight in the Lighthouse - 20:30

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Does anyone know anything about Movies at Dundrum showing Home Alone? No reply to emails, & after two separate phone calls its the usual brick wall of stammering uncertainty you get when you ring these places?

Apparently it was mentioned on their facebook page or something?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about Movies at Dundrum showing Home Alone? No reply to emails, & after two separate phone calls its the usual brick wall of stammering uncertainty you get when you ring these places?

Apparently it was mentioned on their facebook page or something?

Was in Odeon and it is getting a re release on the 21st of December

Its been remastered.

Hope that helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was in Odeon and it is getting a re release on the 21st of December

Its been remastered.

Hope that helps :D

So its a general rerelease for all cinemas & not just a once off?

EnterNow wrote: »
    So its a general rerelease for all cinemas & not just a once off?

guess so - Odeon have the poster up :)

Well its Tarantino Season at the Lighthouse in January :D - LINKY

Reservoir Dogs

1063457827_365b8482be.jpg
    Pulp Fiction

pulp-fiction-2-172964
    Jackie Brown

jackie-brown-4-179161
    Kill Bill 1 & 2

killbillvol1_poster.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With thanks to the obnoxious, long-haired fellow known only as *name not disclosed for legal reasons* for basically single-handedly ruining Die Hard in the Lighthouse tonight with his constant stream of heckling, bottle clanking, leg clapping (?), chanting and general poor cinema etiquette. I'm all for a bit of fun at a late night screening of a festive action classic - the mass laugh at the end was fun! - but having a single individual hurling an endless succession of mindless, repetitive jeers and taunts at the screen grows weary rather quickly. When even your friends turn to you and tell you to shut up, then that's usually a sign to - yes! - shut up.

Mercifully, his drunkenness got the better of him and he napped for the last twenty minutes, but alas other members of his group carried on the nonsense, albeit to a lesser degree... I regret not dumping any remaining popcorn over his head. Please, never go to the cinema again sire, especially if armed with a bottle of wine like you were this wintery eve. You're the single-worst cinema patron I've had to endure in a busy year of cinema-going - and yes, that includes the guy who might have been whacking off during Cosmopolis.

And Merry Christmas!

• Advertisement

Well I booked a ticket but due to exhaustion I fell asleep and didn't wake up till 10pm :( so I missed it but looks like it wasn't as good as the first showing on the 4th. Im still glad i seen it on the 4th then :P

With thanks to the obnoxious, long-haired fellow known only as *name not disclosed for legal reasons* for basically single-handedly ruining Die Hard in the Lighthouse tonight with his constant stream of heckling, bottle clanking, leg clapping (?), chanting and general poor cinema etiquette. I'm all for a bit of fun at a late night screening of a festive action classic - the mass laugh at the end was fun! - but having a single individual hurling an endless succession of mindless, repetitive jeers and taunts at the screen grows weary rather quickly. When even your friends turn to you and tell you to shut up, then that's usually a sign to - yes! - shut up.

Mercifully, his drunkenness got the better of him and he napped for the last twenty minutes, but alas other members of his group carried on the nonsense, albeit to a lesser degree... I regret not dumping any remaining popcorn over his head. Please, never go to the cinema again sire, especially if armed with a bottle of wine like you were this wintery eve. You're the single-worst cinema patron I've had to endure in a busy year of cinema-going - and yes, that includes the guy who might have been whacking off during Cosmopolis.

And Merry Christmas!

Why not go out and find a member of staff and complain. I know that at screenings of classics such as Die Hard you expect a little more noise than a usual trip to the cinema but if a group of people is being vocal for the sake of it then complain to a member of staff and if that doesn't work ask for your money back. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why not go out and find a member of staff and complain. I know that at screenings of classics such as Die Hard you expect a little more noise than a usual trip to the cinema but if a group of people is being vocal for the sake of it then complain to a member of staff and if that doesn't work ask for your money back. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame.

It was a midnight screening full of festive, mildly inebriated people - a bit of banter was to be expected, but going by the general atmosphere of the room, heading out and calling a member of staff wouldn't have solved anything (and it was mostly one individual responsible). At first it was a minor albeit obnoxious irritant - particularly due to his offensive choice of vocabulary when Argyle made his first appearance - but towards the middle when it became increasingly intolerable he was told in no uncertain terms to shut the **** up by several members of the audience (myself included), which did allieviate the problem somewhat until he finally visited the land of sleep.

It was a midnight screening full of festive, mildly inebriated people - a bit of banter was to be expected, but going by the general atmosphere of the room, heading out and calling a member of staff wouldn't have solved anything (and it was mostly one individual responsible). At first it was a minor albeit obnoxious irritant - particularly due to his offensive choice of vocabulary when Argyle made his first appearance - but towards the middle when it became increasingly intolerable he was told in no uncertain terms to shut the **** up by several members of the audience (myself included), which did allieviate the problem somewhat until he finally visited the land of sleep.

I've been at a number of similiar screenings where one person took it upon themselves to provide the laughs for everyone else there. It's okay in short doses but if someone continues to disrupt the film for eveyone else, even after being told to shut up by multiple people, you complain. I've often done it, even at midnight showings of trashy classics and it's worked on all but one ocassion when the manager refused to throw the guys out even after multiple people complained. Myself and a number of other people got up and left, not before demanding out money back.

I'm sure that you or one of the several other people could have gone out and found a member of staff and demanded that either they make him shut up or throw him out. Having worked in a cinema many moons ago I emplyed a one warning policy. If someone was making noise they were asked politely to be quiet, if they continued to disturb those around them they were throw out.

"Groundhog Day" is on in the Lighthouse on the 2nd of February, hugely enjoyable film:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/comingsoon.php?_mc=9131

"Groundhog Day" is on in the Lighthouse on the 2nd of February, hugely enjoyable film:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/comingsoon.php?_mc=9131

Think i'll have enough loyalty points by then :D - Whoo free film!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

From the IFI's website:

"To celebrate Quentin Tarantino’s return to form with Django Unchained we offer two screenings to coincide with its release: Django and Blazing Saddles."

Django's on this Saturday, the 2nd, Blazing Saddles on Saturday the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I just noticed that Cineworld are showing Baz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge on Thursday 14th Feb.
    5914_poster_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I just saw today that the Lighthouse have been running a series of classic screwball comedies. The last film to be shown is The Philadelphia Story featuring Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart - and apparently a lot of drinking. It'll be screened the evening of Wednesday 27th March and the afternoons of the following Saturday and Sunday.

911.jpg

• Advertisement

Ant wrote: »
    I just saw today that the Lighthouse have been running a series of classic screwball comedies. The last film to be shown is The Philadelphia Story featuring Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart - and apparently a lot of drinking. It'll be screened the evening of Wednesday 27th March and the afternoons of the following Saturday and Sunday.

911.jpg

Not a huge fan of "screwball" comedies, but it would be great if the Lighthouse did a season of, for example, Warner Bros gangster movies (featuring Bogart, Edward G Robinson, Jimmy Cagney etc) or especially Film Noir, maybe they will.

Advertisement