Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A new horror movie society "The Blood Donors Film Club" , is screening the ferociously entertaining Aussie horror The Loved Ones on Wednesday the 8th of April in the Sugar Club at 20:30,all profits for the night go to Focus Ireland.

Great chance to see a criminally under seen flick on the big screen,it's for a good cause and its also brilliant to see some new horror movie clubs cropping up.There are loads of spot prizes and a raffle on the night too.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Pedro Almodóvar has a new film coming out and to mark the occasion, the IFI are screening a selection of his previous work over the month of April: http://www.ifi.ie/almodovar

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

final-ironman-poster2-big.jpg

Iron Man 1 & 2 are showing back to back in Movies @ Swords Wednesday 24 April. http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=M-SWORDS&p=details&eventCode=9761

€10 for both not bad. Hopefully it sells well so we start getting some other (better :)) "classics"

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Just checked there its on in Dundrum aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

jaysus re releasin bog standard films only a few years after their release?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jaysus re releasin bog standard films only a few years after their release?

Iron-Man 3 is coming out soon, standard practice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

"standard practice really"???? i must be gettin old then. new phenomeon to me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Iron Man 2 was a bad film imho. I saw it with a hyped audience and you could almost feel the boredom in the room. :pac:

The original is alright, if just a better than average blockbuster.

Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro are both being re-released in the IFI from the 24th of May. :)

Incredible films, don't know if I could stomach another viewing of Fireflies but Totoro I watch every few months or so. Would love the chance to see it in a cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro are both being re-released in the IFI from the 24th of May. :)

Incredible films, don't know if I could stomach another viewing of Fireflies but Totoro I watch every few months or so. Would love the chance to see it in a cinema.

I cannot begrudge them showing two of the greatest films ever made (My Neighbour Totoro is 'favourite film ever' material) but slightly frustrated at their timing for the screenings. Totoro's weekend screenings are dubbed (so basically: ignore), while the subtitled weekday ones are in the middle of the day - means I won't get to see it :( At least I'll get to see Fireflies, although a slight missed opportunity they didn't programme them as a double feature like they were on initial release!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Are they not showing them back-to-back in the IFI and the Light House?

IFI has My Neighbour Totoro first, then Grave of the Fireflies after.
    Light House has it the other way around.

What was screened first on general release? This stuff is important.

Grave of the Fireflies was shown first, guess they felt (rightly so) that audiences would need to be cheered up after that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The IFI are having a season of classic films on 70mm.

70mm: The Big Picture

Programme

IFI Open Day's June 15th too. Bound to be screening a few classics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IFI will be showing Dial M for Murder in its original 3D for a week at the end of July. As much as I hate 3D, I'm pretty fascinated to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligra (1930s silent, german, horror film) is on in Fitzwilliam Park, Dublin at 10pm tonight as part of the Happening.com Open Air Cinema thingy.

Gates at 7pm. Not sure but i did hear it was BYOB but please correct me if not.

€5 in, film begins at 10 pm.

Ooh IFI will also be screening Chris Marker's La Jette and Sans Soleil next month. That'll be an amazing experience for anyone who has yet to watch them, absolutely breathtaking filmmaking!

If Sans Soleil is 35MM I'm there. Some images from that film are just drilled into my memory.

Also hope they get to screen Play Time in 70MM again. Missed it last time and having caught up with it since it may be the most ingeniously crafted comedy ever made.

Doesn't seem to say in the programme what format it will be in, I'll ask next time Im in there. Hopefully they'll show a few more Marker films somewhere along the line, the harder to access ones particularly.

And yeah Playtime would be amazing. I've rarely seen such a perfectly crafted film, comedy or otherwise. It is a tad disappointing the 70mm choices aren't a little more diverse, but they say there'll be more over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Labyrinth is apparrantly playing in cineworld this sunday at 1pm :D

Plus Robocop there on sunday week!

• Advertisement

Was anyone at the screening of The Searchers in the Savoy as part of the John Ford Symposium? A staggering lack of professionalism on display. First

• They made no effort to hide the fact that they were projecting a Blu-Ray, to the point where the 'Blu-Ray' icon was bouncing around the screen prior to the film starting.
    • They began the film as people were still finding their seats following the (bland and uninteresting) Q&A between Miriam O'Callaghan and John Wayne's son Patrick and daughter Marisa.
    • The film was stopped roughly 20 minutes in (as Ethan and co discover the farmhouse ablaze) and had to begin again, because it was 'out of sync' apparently.
    • As the film ended, to a tumultuous round of applause, the Blu-Ray's 'copyright' appeared on screen, in both English and French, further emphasising the fact that we were watching a glorified living room screening.
    Added to the fact that the child behind me was talking all the way through the film, it was a rather lacklustre experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was anyone at the screening of The Searchers in the Savoy as part of the John Ford Symposium? A staggering lack of professionalism on display. First

• They made no effort to hide the fact that they were projecting a Blu-Ray, to the point where the 'Blu-Ray' icon was bouncing around the screen prior to the film starting.
    • They began the film as people were still finding their seats following the (bland and uninteresting) Q&A between Miriam O'Callaghan and John Wayne's son Patrick and daughter Marisa.
    • The film was stopped roughly 20 minutes in (as Ethan and co discover the farmhouse ablaze) and had to begin again, because it was 'out of sync' apparently.
    • As the film ended, to a tumultuous round of applause, the Blu-Ray's 'copyright' appeared on screen, in both English and French, further emphasising the fact that we were watching a glorified living room screening.
    Added to the fact that the child behind me was talking all the way through the film, it was a rather lacklustre experience.

Getting a Blu Ray projection "out of sync" is a pretty impressive achievement :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

e_e wrote: »
    IFI Open Day's June 15th too. Bound to be screening a few classics.

The schedule's up:

http://www.ifi.ie/openday

I went to the Bertrand Tavernier interview in the Lighthouse, also part of the John Ford Symposium, which was followed by a screening of his film 'Round Midnight. It was from DVD, looked awful, so I left after maybe ten minutes. Not impressive. The IFI showed The Searchers digitally in March, so there's really no excuse.

Doesn't seem to say in the programme what format it will be in, I'll ask next time Im in there. Hopefully they'll show a few more Marker films somewhere along the line, the harder to access ones particularly.

And yeah Playtime would be amazing. I've rarely seen such a perfectly crafted film, comedy or otherwise. It is a tad disappointing the 70mm choices aren't a little more diverse, but they say there'll be more over the coming months.

Both of the Marker are 35mm, according to the Box Office staff. The IFI haven't had much luck with Playtime on 70mm in the past, but here's hoping. As for being more diverse, it is, as you say, a start, but there probably isn't much out there that's available. We'll wait and see what they come up with, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    The Labyrinth is apparrantly playing in cineworld this sunday at 1pm :D

Plus Robocop there on sunday week!

Seen it last year in glorious 70mm at the IFI! I wonder will it be another Blu-Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Alien playing in the IFI on sunday coming at 6.30 :)

I was just looking to see what's on tonight and saw that Cineworld are screening An Officer And A Gentleman at 8.30. Ticket booked.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligra (1930s silent, german, horror film) is on in Fitzwilliam Park, Dublin at 10pm tonight as part of the Happening.com Open Air Cinema thingy.

I really enjoyed that. I hadn't seen the The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari before but I liked it more than either Nosferatu or Metropolis, the two other German expressionist films I've seen. I thought the live soundtrack performed by 3epkano was excellent and really added to the experience.

• Advertisement

I saw The Godfather Part II in the IFI yesterday as part of their open day. Was glorious.

Advertisement