Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

When Harry Met Sally at the IFI on wedensday, chick flick but still so great imho, looking forward to this! :D hopefully theres tickets left!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Escape_from_New_York_1920x1080.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1277359626583

Few other films on in the Lighthouse over next few weeks too; Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Ferris Buellers Day and the Witches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw the Great White Silence in the IFI as part of the open day - a documentary recounting Captain Scott's doomed journey to the South Pole. Fascinating film - part travelogue, part grand adventure, part wacky penguin comedy, part devastating tragedy. It's a real emotional rollercoaster - I can't recall having left a cinema on such a bleak note :( More than anything, I was amazed by the quality of the digital print they presented it in. A truly gorgeous, loving restoration by the BFI from the original negatives. I can't recall seeing a silent film in such good nick, and there was a really interesting soundtrack to accompany it (although a hymn near the end felt a bit misjudged). A genuine treat, and a very wise choice by the programmer - plus a strong argument for digital re-releases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

http://www.thisisirishfilm.ie/box_office/

Alien ended up in the top 20 just from that one screening in the IFI. I love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Lighthouse are having an Ennio Morricone Season from the start of July. This means we get The Big Four (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West), plus The Mission and Cinema Paradiso. Regrettably, no Once Upon a Time in America. Presumably, they couldn't get a print of Disclosure. :rolleyes:
    There's 3 for €21 on the Dollars Trilogy if bought over the counter, and apparently they'll be prints.

"Get three coffins ready..."

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The Lighthouse are having an Ennio Morricone Season from the start of July. This means we get The Big Four (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West), plus The Mission and Cinema Paradiso. Regrettably, no Once Upon a Time in America. Presumably, they couldn't get a print of Disclosure. :rolleyes:
    There's 3 for €21 on the Dollars Trilogy if bought over the counter, and apparently they'll be prints.

"Get three coffins ready..."

Where did you hear they'll be prints? I have a bad feeling that it'll be the bloated, extended version of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, complete with superfluous deleted scenes and distractingly incongruous re-dubbing from Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach.

I asked at the box office.
    In the olden days, we had no such concerns. I remember going to see retro screenings in UCI in the mid-nineties and some of the prints were in rag order (Taxi Driver, I recall, was missing loads of the opening titles, as the start of the reel was so badly damaged), but I'd much rather watch a scratchy old print that has character than some wretched modern version.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I asked at the box office.
    In the olden days, we had no such concerns. I remember going to see retro screenings in UCI in the mid-nineties and some of the prints were in rag order (Taxi Driver, I recall, was missing loads of the opening titles, as the start of the reel was so badly damaged), but I'd much rather watch a scratchy old print that has character than some wretched modern version.

I'd rather see anything decent, scratched or not, on a big screen than squint at it on YouTube . You can't beat the Real thing!

Saw that b& w Scott film too & was blown away by it -fantastic choice. Couldn't get over how long they gave you to read the silent subtitles!!! Real 1900's timing!!!! No speed reading then obviously!!!!

Going to see The Deer Hunter next week at the IFI as part if their 70mm season! Bring it on!!!!

http://www.ifi.ie/eye-to-eye/

Terrific lineup here, I'll definitely have to catch Pather Panchali, I Am Cuba and Cries and Whispers. :)

Citizen Kane and Manhattan clash with A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More in the Lighthouse. You'd think they'd be more considerate...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be fair to the IFI they schedule their programme very early, perhaps even before the Lighthouse announced the Morricone season.

Ah, yeah, I know. I just thought it was an unfortunate clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present The Toxic Avenger, Troma Entertainment’s most recognisable cult classic, co-directed by legendary maverick Lloyd Kaufman!

High in bad taste, low in political correctness, this action comedy has unsurprisingly never had a theatrical release in Ireland… until now!

This screening will include a special introduction by director Lloyd Kaufman, something no Troma fan should miss!

The film will commence at 10:30pm, Friday, July 26th. There will be drinks and merriment from 9pm in the Light House Cinema Bar.

Click here to buy Tickets.

There was a decent crowd in Lighthouse 3 last night for A Fistful of Dollars. Nice, clean-but-suitably-crackly old print with reel change cue marks. (Ask your parents, kids). Not perfect, but - as I stated before - I'd rather watch a proper old print than a digital copy. It was a real welcome blast from the past. Presumably this bodes well for the rest of the Morricone season.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present The Toxic Avenger, Troma Entertainment’s most recognisable cult classic, co-directed by legendary maverick Lloyd Kaufman!

High in bad taste, low in political correctness, this action comedy has unsurprisingly never had a theatrical release in Ireland… until now!

This screening will include a special introduction by director Lloyd Kaufman, something no Troma fan should miss!

The film will commence at 10:30pm, Friday, July 26th. There will be drinks and merriment from 9pm in the Light House Cinema Bar.

Click here to buy Tickets.

For those of you interested in old nintendo games...heres an angry video game nerd with kaufman as guest...

also separate interview with the man....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There was a decent crowd in Lighthouse 3 last night for A Fistful of Dollars. Nice, clean-but-suitably-crackly old print with reel change cue marks. (Ask your parents, kids). Not perfect, but - as I stated before - I'd rather watch a proper old print than a digital copy. It was a real welcome blast from the past. Presumably this bodes well for the rest of the Morricone season.

I haven't seen A Fistful of Dollars in about 5-6 years so I'd forgotten how great it is. I really enjoyed myself.

I also like seeing the reel change marks - a nice bit of nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw I Am Cuba (35mm) in the IFI today. What a hypnotic film to experience. It manages to create a cinematic stream of consciousness perhaps better than any other film does: a film whose visual language is intoxicating from the off. Of course there's three particularly awe-inspiring sequences - the party, the nightclub, the procession - but even outside that there's a raw ingenuity to the way it's crafted. The films of Gasper Noe are the only ones off the top of my head that come close to managing what the crew here do. As pure and as articulate as cinematography gets, really.

As for the content? Well, it's straight-up propaganda, although emotionally stirring at times, and some really intriguing artistic explorations of communist ideology in there. It's regrettable it descends into an explicit celebration of violent revolution towards the end, but it's a valuable cultural and sociological document that just happens to be breathtakingly crafted.

For A Few Dollars More last night was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

For A Few Dollars More last night was great!

Mortimer: Any trouble boy?
    Man With No Name: No old man. Thought I was having trouble with my adding, it's all right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Here's a quick reminder of our screening of 'The Toxic Avenger'!

This event is taking place tonight at Light House Cinema at 10:30pm.

Drinks will be available in the Light House Cinema bar from 9pm onwards.

At 10:15 we’ll be ushering everyone into the screening. A competition ticket to win one of three vouchers, courtesy of Dublin City Comics & Collectibles, will be handed to you once you have shown your ticket for The Toxic Avenger at the door!

The Grindhouse Dublin team will give a brief introduction and announce next months screening (which will be further announced on our newsletter and Facebook at a later date), then we will screen Thy Kill Be Done, a number of Grindhouse trailers and also co-director Lloyd Kaufman’s exclusive introduction to ‘The Toxic Avenger’!

That’s two hours jam packed with entertainment, so grab your tickets now by clicking this link

Remember to 'like' us on Facebook!

Join Our Newsletter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

IFI ARE SHOWING ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND THIS COMING TUESDAY!!

It's a classic in my eyes anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It is a classic, ****ing awesome movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

IFI ARE SHOWING ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND THIS COMING TUESDAY!!

It's a classic in my eyes anyway!

I am not trolling but that movie was a load of sh*te. I can never understand why people like this? I seen it when it came out and was bored out of my t*ts? Why exactly do people like this movie?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I am not trolling but that movie was a load of sh*te. I can never understand why people like this? I seen it when it came out and was bored out of my t*ts? Why exactly do people like this movie?

Search the forum for threads about it, there's plenty!

Personally, I think it's a candidate for greatest film of the young century thus far. It's such a wonderful deconstruction and celebration of screen romance - using visuals, editing and the liberal nature of cinematic temporality to tell a beautifully bittersweet love story. It's brilliantly written, directed, acted, shot, edited: brilliant to the point where everyone involved has struggled to live up to it. Can't wait to see it again on the big screen, even though I've watched it a good dozen times since seeing it in the cinema as a teenager. I've long-since forgotten or abandoned many once-favourite films from that period - but Eternal Sunshine I still consider a breathtaking, exhilarating masterpiece.

Eternal Sunshine is a film with brilliance so apparent to me that I don't get why people flippantly call it "a load of ****e".

Just on a pure filmmaking level it's marvellous, but crucially its got interesting ideas and moving themes to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Faith+1 wrote: »

It was the kind of film you are supposed to like if you're "cool", I thought it was bloody awful myself.

There are dozens of films you can attack on that level before getting to Eternal Sunshine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I re-watched Eternal Sunshine a few months ago and it's just as good as when I first saw it. All the stuff with Ruffalo, Dunst and Wood is hysterical. And it's nice to see Carrey and Winslet playing against type. Their relationship is extremely heartfelt and deals honestly with the emotional neediness and co-dependency that is a feature of so many real world relationships and which isn't often seen in films.

It's very cheap on Blu-ray, must add in on my next Amazon order.

It was the kind of film you are supposed to like if you're "cool", I thought it was bloody awful myself.

You've got that wrong dude. It was cool back in November 2010, but totes old hat now. Estonian Miserablism is the in-thing this month, but that becomes uncool on August 1st which is when it becomes cool to like experimental Swedish films that are shot in one take and are predominantly concerned with feminist reinterpretations of the blowjob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

"You say your uncle is the British Ambassador in Berlin, with the ridiculous name of O'Grady!"

Saw Barry Lyndon in the IFI yesterday. Strangely, it was a Blu-Ray projection, whereas when I saw it there in 2011 it was clearly on film.

Advertisement