Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

"You say your uncle is the British Ambassador in Berlin, with the ridiculous name of O'Grady!"

Saw Barry Lyndon in the IFI yesterday. Strangely, it was a Blu-Ray projection, whereas when I saw it there in 2011 it was clearly on film.

Didn't think the IFI showed Blu-Rays?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A Blu-ray? Are you kidding me? It should have been a DCP as per their programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Faith+1 wrote: »
    A Blu-ray? Are you kidding me? It should have been a DCP as per their programme.

It was a Blu-Ray. It had the contemporary Warner Bros logo at the beginning, as per the Blu-Ray release (and not the film projection I saw there in 2011). Also, the IFI admitted as much on their Facebook page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That doesn't mean it was a Blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

"You say your uncle is the British Ambassador in Berlin, with the ridiculous name of O'Grady!"

Saw Barry Lyndon in the IFI yesterday. Strangely, it was a Blu-Ray projection, whereas when I saw it there in 2011 it was clearly on film.

It was a DCP, not a Blu-ray.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Faith+1 wrote: »

They do, I've seen one or two anyway (Ugetsu Monogatari off the top of my head). They've even been known to show DVDs: I believe their screening of the Honeymoon Killers a few months back was advertised as such.

One thing in their defense is that they do flag what format it is in most of the time so you can ignore the dodgy ones, although they didn't for the Chris Marker screenings recently. They've also shown a very vocal recommitment to film in the last few months, and it really seems to be working out well for them. Encouraging to see that it's proving popular, and hopefully it will be an ongoing thing rather than just a few themed seasons.

Yeah, they usually indicate if it's a DVD or Blu-ray screening. Lyndon however was advertised in the programme as a DCP, so I'd be pretty pissed if it was in fact a Blu-ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Some brilliant movies being shown in the IFI in August to coincide with the release of Only God Forgives.

Full listings

The Manchurian Candidate – John Frankenheimer – Aug 3rd 16.05 & Aug 5th 18.20
    Santa Sangre – Alejandro Jodorowsky – Aug 7th 20.30 & Aug 10th 13.30
    Ashes of Time Redux – Wong Kar Wai – August 13th 20.50
    Drive – Nicolas Winding Refn – Aug 14th 18.30
    Bangkok Dangerous – The Pang Brothers – Aug 21st 20.45
    Wild at Heart - David Lynch – Aug 25th 15.30 & Aug 26th 18.15
    Enter the Void - Gaspar Noé – Aug 28th 20.15 & Aug 31st 15.15
    Tokyo Drifter – Seijun Suzuki – Aug 29th 18.30 & Aug 31st 18.30
    Richard Kern Programme – Richard Kern – Aug 29th 20.30 & Aug 31st 13.15

Im kinda pissed that Bangkok Dangerous only gets one showing, those of you that haven't seen it or indeed were unfortunate enough to catch the Nic Cage remake should check it out. Beautiful movie.

Santa Sangre Ive never seen but have heard alot of great things so looking forward to that.

I also want to see Enter the Void on the big screen. Total head fnuk which I think will be even trippier as a cinema as opposed to dvd experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 madfred

Anyone catch Eternal Sunshine last night? Must have started ten minutes early? A little bit annoying...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It started right on time? (although it was on the screen briefly when the doors opened, but it started again when the time was right).

Disappointed it was downgraded to BluRay, only saw the sign informing viewers of that after the fact :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

It was playing when most people walked in at first - but that must be down to the fact that the bluray autoplayed when they put it in!

they then turned it off and restarted it with sound when the time was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

madfred wrote: »
    Anyone catch Eternal Sunshine last night? Must have started ten minutes early? A little bit annoying...

The IFI site had it listed as starting at 18.30. Going by that (and not looking at our tickets doi..) we missed the first 10 minutes.

How did the Blu-ray look projected?

It started right on time? (although it was on the screen briefly when the doors opened, but it started again when the time was right).

Disappointed it was downgraded to BluRay, only saw the sign informing viewers of that after the fact :(

Nah it definitely started just after twenty past. Missed a good few minutes of it which has never happened before at the IFI.

When did you hear that it was going to be a blu-ray, just realise when you sat down?

Ah must have been the website wrong, ticket definitely said 18:20 so lucky I picked it up early!

Only realised it was BluRay when it started. It was serviceable if inevitably third best. A little soft, but that's par for the course. Luckily the film's more sombre colour palette meant there weren't many washed out colours or anything like that. Even with the home surround sound, was nice to be able to pick up all those amazing subtleties in the soundtrack in a theatrical space.

Website and the booklet! It was strange watching it on the big screen again. Think it's the type of film that works best on your own/at home. Granted that the film has a few funny moments but there was one guy in particular who must have thought he was watching Dumb & Dumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

There's always one, it's just another look at me people move by asshole cinema goers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

madfred wrote: »
    Website and the booklet! It was strange watching it on the big screen again. Think it's the type of film that works best on your own/at home. Granted that the film has a few funny moments but there was one guy in particular who must have thought he was watching Dumb & Dumber.
    ronano wrote: »
    There's always one, it's just another look at me people move by asshole cinema goers

When I saw Barry Lyndon in the IFI in 2011, many audience members laughed during this scene, which must be among the most beautiful and tender in cinema history. Morons. At least that didn't happen last Sunday.

Saw Dial M For Murder 3D earlier. Interesting experience. The neatest innovation by Hitchcock is his choice to frame many takes with objects planted in the foreground, ensuring the depth of the images takes on a real voyeuristic feel, almost as if we're cheekily sneaking a peak at events. When objects 'come out' it's a very considered decision, almost as if we're a jury being presented with evidence.

There are of course the usual crippling flaws of 3D. It's a pretty dark film as is, not helped by IFI's seemingly extra dimmed glasses (I almost longed for good ol' blue & red as it would have been at the time). Some of the lower-quality footage - back projections, pre/post cuts - looks pretty awful too, obviously victims of the digital remaster although can't imagine they looked particularly great at release either. Still, it's worth a watch to see probably the only significant 3D film made by a genuine, iconic auteur, with Hitch making a few smart decisions to justify the gimmick. Plus the film's a lot of fun. Now to continue ignoring 3D releases as normal.

Gorgeous quad poster for Nosferatu which is showing in the IFI later in the year (probably Halloween) before getting the Blu-ray treatment from Masters of Cinema.

BRJuafDCMAAR9BQ.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1095023_658271760850190_1730738927_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.ifi.ie/film/70mm-2001-a-space-odyssey/

70mm print of 2001 showing next weekend, really tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Awww :( First time in about 3years that there arent any classic movie showings on for my birthday tomorrow, or am I wrong?! :)

Nothing says Happy Birthday like a screening of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser in the IFI!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nothing says Happy Birthday like a screening of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser in the IFI!

Astonishing film, in the top 10 films you HAVE to see before you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Just a heads up about the screening of "Apocalypse Now" on 29th September in the Lighthouse Cinema:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/comingsoon.php?_mc=10677

On 29th Sept. the book for discussion will be "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. The film "Apocalypse Now" will be shown first, then the book discussion will take place in the bar of the Lighthouse afterwards.

I've attended a few of these book club/film screenings and they are very good. Ideal for a film/literary buff like me.

Just a reminder for celluloid fans: 70mm of 2001 on in IFI tomorrow at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

The Lighthouse seem to be really getting into screening classic films.

Unfortunately, I only just saw that “Ghost World” was on this evening (I also saw that David Lynch’s “Wild at Heart” is on at the IFI – Bah!)

Anyhow, there are lots of great classics coming up. First off, the month of September is marked for their Marlo Brando Season, chock full of bona fide classic cinema such as “On The Waterfront”, “The Godfather” and “The Wild One”. The book club / screening of “Apocalypse Now” mentioned by Travel is good above has also been incorporated into this season.

On the night of Saturday 14th September, Hollywood Babylon are showing “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” followed the next Saturday night by a double bill of “The Terminator” and “Streets of Fire” – all part of their Summer of '84 season.

Finally, for the hardcore Tolkien fans, there’s “The Lord of the Rings” marathon session on Sunday 10th November when they screen all 3 films of the trilogy back to back. I didn’t go last year as I thought 10 hours was too much for one day but I might try and catch one of the films this year.

Ant wrote: »
    The Lighthouse seem to be really getting into screening classic films.

Unfortunately, I only just saw that “Ghost World” was on this evening (I also saw that David Lynch’s “Wild at Heart” is on at the IFI – Bah!)

Anyhow, there are lots of great classics coming up. First off, the month of September is marked for their Marlo Brando Season, chock full of bona fide classic cinema such as “On The Waterfront”, “The Godfather” and “The Wild One”. The book club / screening of “Apocalypse Now” mentioned by Travel is good above has also been incorporated into this season.

On the night of Saturday 14th September, Hollywood Babylon are showing “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” followed the next Saturday night by a double bill of “The Terminator” and “Streets of Fire” – all part of their Summer of '84 season.

Finally, for the hardcore Tolkien fans, there’s “The Lord of the Rings” marathon session on Sunday 10th November when they screen all 3 films of the trilogy back to back. I didn’t go last year as I thought 10 hours was too much for one day but I might try and catch one of the films this year.

Would be great if they started showing the original Trek films (Nimoy/Shatner era).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Ghost World was great. A nice, original, crackly print. I only watched it again recently on DVD, but seeing it again on the big screen for the first time since its original release was a real treat.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Would be great if they started showing the original Trek films (Nimoy/Shatner era).

I agree! Screen cinema were teasing that they were going to....then they just suddenly stopped showing classics altogether.

Advertisement