Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Don't know but I'd be scared at scream so I don't think it's for me! Sounds interesting with a Maniacs POV - would be interesting to see if I related to it automatically!!!!as for me I don't mind who posts the notices ado
    Long as we can have a chance to see them
    Before they're over - it beats trawling through every event & cinema listing weekly on the off chance something other than the ordinary /standard might be happening ... Sure why not make it easy for us to support them - and do something a bit different with our hot ten euro notes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Big Lebowski showing tonight on two screens in The Lighthouse, one of which is a 10:30pm screening in Screen 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

x2se.jpg

Perfect Blue Facebook Event Page

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present Perfect Blue, one of the most critically acclaimed anime of all time, screened from a HD master!

With Hitchcockian mystery and suspense, animator Satoshi Kon directed this psychological thriller of celebrity obsession to a tidal wave of critical acclaim!

The film tells the story of Mima, who leaves the pop group CHAM in order to pursue her dream as an actress. Soon she discovers she is being stalked by a sinister man and someone is posting intimate details of her life on the internet. And then the murders begin...

Ranked #25 on Total Films all-time animated films, Perfect Blue is a masterpiece not to be missed!

Perfect Blue will be shown at Light House Cinema, Smithfield on Friday, 31st January at 10:45pm!

Tickets €9.00 - Students €7.50

Click through to tickets now

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Peter Tork

Groundhog Day, Sun 6:15pm @ The Lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Groundhog Day, Sun 6:15pm @ The Lighthouse.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Sleepless in Seattle, Cineworld, Valentines night, 8.15 I think :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/247734705396588/

e0796734a62ed60fc3ec47bb22e86f8d.jpg

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present "Assault on Precinct 13".

This cult classic launched the career of legendary filmmaker John Carpenter with it's gritty urban western style in the tradition of Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo.

Not seen on the big screen in many years, this is one not to be missed!

Grindhouse Dublin will take place exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield.

Assault on Precinct 13 will be shown at Light House Cinema, Smithfield on Friday, 28th of February at 10:45pm!

Tickets €9.00 - Students €7.50

Ticket link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Two exciting re-releases tomorrow in the IFI.

First is Rosselini's Rome Open City, which IMO confidently sits among the greatest films ever made. I only watched it for the first time last year, and it truly captivated me with its powerful, raw portrait of wartime Italy. I'd recommend it to anyone - few films are as elegantly crafted, as dramatic and as emotionally vast.

Secondly is the much-anticipated reappearance of 1970s Australian thriller Wake in Fright. I haven't seen it, but I've heard only good things (meant to be absolutely terrifying) so cannot wait to check it out. It's a Masters of Cinema release as well, so the quality of the restoration will undoubtedly be up to their usual high standards :) Only shame is the IFI only seem to be showing it in the late evening for the weekend anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Secondly is the much-anticipated reappearance of 1970s Australian thriller Wake in Fright. I haven't seen it, but I've heard only good things (meant to be absolutely terrifying) so cannot wait to check it out. It's a Masters of Cinema release as well, so the quality of the restoration will undoubtedly be up to their usual high standards :) Only shame is the IFI only seem to be showing it in the late evening for the weekend anyway.

Seen it in the Lighthouse last year for the first time.

Will go again though, as I'm not sure I fully grasped what I seen :P

Bloodsport | Van Damme | Light House Cinema | Friday 28th March at 10:45pm

Facebook Event Page

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present 'Bloodsport' starring legendary action icon Jean-Claude Van Damme in his debut lead role!

Tickets

Grindhouse Dublin dish out a dose of Van Dammage with this 80’s favourite, which sees Van Damme fight for his life in the deadly Kumite; Hong Kong’s fierce, single elimination, full contact fight competition!

Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Grindhouse Dublin will take place exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield.

The film will commence at 10:45pm but there will be drinks and merriment from 9 in the Light House Cinema Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Baze wrote: »
    Seen it in the Lighthouse last year for the first time.

Will go again though, as I'm not sure I fully grasped what I seen :P

It was a savage film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A great decision from IFI: in April they'll be screening several of the films featured in Mark Cousin's (excellent) A Story of Children and Film, which will also be on release during the month.

Having seen the film at JDIFF, I've been attempting to seek down some of the films featured without much look - in particular Jafar Panahi's The White Balloon, which happily is included in this season. Unfortunately, they're quite hard to come by, so will be great to see these six films (four features and two shorter works) on the big screen in restored form. IMO the kind of thing the IFI should be doing more of: screening otherwise hard-to-watch classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Mad Max 1 + 2 double bill this Friday @ Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Pulp Fiction screening at Cineworld on May 20th 8:15 for it's 20th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

What's the sound/picture like at these grindhouse events? is it just a dvd/blu-ray thrown on? is the sound quality great or just average?

ronano wrote: »
    What's the sound/picture like at these grindhouse events? is it just a dvd/blu-ray thrown on? is the sound quality great or just average?

I got sick of asking that question on the facebook page. They seem unwilling to answer and the best I got was "it depends on what's available to us". I asked them repeatedly to expand on that but they never did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ugh yeah. I've ignored many classic screenings at both Lighthouse and Screen because they didn't say what format they were using. It's the least they could do before asking you to shell out 10 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

From Facebook:
    We are delighted to announce that Grindhouse Dublin's double bill of "Mad Max 1 & 2" will be projected from new digitally remastered prints. So you will all get to experience how these two great films were presented when first released in cinemas. Roll on next Friday !

From Facebook:

Does that mean that it's being projected from a digital source, a print or are they simply using the recently release Blu-Ray which were created with digitally remastered prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Does that mean that it's being projected from a digital source, a print or are they simply using the recently release Blu-Ray which were created with digitally remastered prints.

How noticeable would it be if they were doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In fairness, I’d imagine getting the distributor to supply a proper DCP of a 30 year old film for a once-off screening would be rather costly. Most people in the audience wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from a Blu-ray anyway.

In fairness, I’d imagine getting the distributor to supply a proper DCP of a 30 year old film for a once-off screening would be rather costly. Most people in the audience wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from a Blu-ray anyway.

That's what I was thinking. And surely the novelty of seeing an old classic on the big screen is the main thing? The first time I seen Mad Max would have been on a 4:3 television with the whole thing cropped to bits. A remastered BluRay projected onto a big screen sounds pretty good to me. Maybe if somewhere like the IFI were routinely showing BluRays there might be an issue. But for these 'cult' nights is it really a problem? I say put your bad nerd away and allow the good nerd to enjoy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Looper007 wrote: »
    Pulp Fiction screening at Cineworld on May 20th 8:15 for it's 20th anniversary.

Hard to believe it's 20 years old on one level, can still remember dragging a friend to see this on opening night in Cork (we were in college in UL but on placement there). Don't think he appreciated it in the same ways I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Hard to believe it's 20 years old on one level, can still remember dragging a friend to see this on opening night in Cork (we were in college in UL but on placement there). Don't think he appreciated it in the same ways I did!

it certainly change many people's lives, it's one of those films really. Still think Tarantino best film is Jackie Brown but Fiction is the film he be forever known for, remember all the copycat films following in it's wake. 20 years is certainly shown my age cause I snuck into this as a 15 year old :pac:

Looper007 wrote: »
    it certainly change many people's lives, it's one of those films really. Still think Tarantino best film is Jackie Brown but Fiction is the film he be forever known for, remember all the copycat films following in it's wake. 20 years is certainly shown my age cause I snuck into this as a 15 year old :pac:

Yeah, Jackie Brown is my favourite as well. It's the little details that count. Like when Bridget Fonda slides up and off of Bobby De Niro's cock.

The problem is that those running the screenings seem so unwilling to say what format they are using. There's a huge difference between an actual print and a DVD or Blu-Ray, especially considering how sub par some modern releases are. I had the privilege of seeing a screening of Predator on the big screen, only rather than use a print they opted for the original Blu-Ray release which looked absolutely atrocious on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone know if the tickets for Pulp Fiction are on sale yet? Went to check there and the cineworld website is blocked in work......lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Anyone know if the tickets for Pulp Fiction are on sale yet? Went to check there and the cineworld website is blocked in work......lol.

yhes, on sale right now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yeah, Jackie Brown is my favourite as well. It's the little details that count. Like when Bridget Fonda slides up and off of Bobby De Niro's cock.

:-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That's fine but all I ask is that they let people know beforehand. Taking the bus into Dublin for The Big Lebowski in The Screen only for it to be a projected DVD was the final straw for me, atrocious picture and worse yet the sound was so low that even laughing was awkward for fear of not being able to hear the dialogue. Really sub-par and disappointing way of experiencing one of my favorite movies.

Advertisement