Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Advise

Options
  • 31-10-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I have 4 guns and when I went to my local station to renew them the guard told me I need a basic alarm before he can sign off on me meeting the requirements. My question is how basic can the alarm be? ie a sensor in the room that the guns are stored and an inside alarm, will that do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20307%202009%20FIREARMS%20(SECURE%20ACCOMMODATION)%20REGULATIONS%202009.pdf

see link.

I believe if you have 4 unrestricted firearms you don't need an alarm, but I think the super can "insist" on one.

One of the more legal savvy lads will be along in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

argos .150 euro for a cheap alarm
    more of this makee upp law.

i thought the cops were there to enforce the laws they have, not to make it up as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

pm. wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I have 4 guns and when I went to my local station to renew them the guard told me I need a basic alarm before he can sign off on me meeting the requirements. My question is how basic can the alarm be? ie a sensor in the room that the guns are stored and an inside alarm, will that do ?

4 unrestricted firearms and they will look for the room the safe is in to be alarmed-I fitted a motion detector alarm in the room mines is in and it was signed off on no problem;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Thanks lads for the info, argos here i come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

jwshooter wrote: »

i thought the cops were there to enforce the laws they have, not to make it up as they go along.

Thought sowed a feather and he thought a hen would grow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Just have a motion sensor fitted to the room where your safe is and that has to be connected to a external bell box whth a keypad for entry

did not have to get it certified in by a security firm had it fitted by the electrician who wired my house
    wires were already in place cost me 400 for bell box, controll panel and key pad

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

jwshooter wrote: »

Doesnt it have to comply with certain standards though, and be installed by a certfied installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    Doesnt it have to comply with certain standards though, and be installed by a certfied installer?

No. I was talking to the local guard and as long as the locks on the doors comply with BS3621 and we have an alarm ( as said a motion detector in the room that guns are stored ) thats it. If you have 6 or more guns you will need a monitored alarm that has to be fitted by a selected list of registered alarm installers. Thanks for the info lads i bought the Yale alarm in argos for €145.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

pm. wrote: »
    No. I was talking to the local guard and as long as the locks on the doors comply with BS3621 and we have an alarm ( as said a motion detector in the room that guns are stored ) thats it. If you have 6 or more guns you will need a monitored alarm that has to be fitted by a selected list of registered alarm installers. Thanks for the info lads i bought the Yale alarm in argos for €145.

ah right;) gud stuff

Advertisement