Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould on the ceiling

Options
  • 31-10-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I got my house reskimmed 2 1/2 years ago.

I've noticed grey mould circles appearing on the ceilings in some of the rooms, can this be due to the water in the plaster coming out as it dried?

is there any way to treat it and prevent it coming back?

Its in a bedroom, the hall, the bathroom and the sitting room, the sitting room did not get much use and the Mrs dries cloths in there.

Would a Dehumidifier help.

I've started opening the windows every day now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would get up in the roof and check there is adequate insulation in the areas where the mold is appearing. Had this problem in mine and it was caused by non-existant insulation in places, particularly near outside walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would get up in the roof and check there is adequate insulation in the areas where the mold is appearing. Had this problem in mine and it was caused by non-existant insulation in places, particularly near outside walls.

I'll check that out, i know there is plenty of insulation in the attic also there are 2 plaster boards on the ceiling, when i got the work done i had them put the boards over the existing ones and re skim as the old boards had that spiky plaster

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Its probably condensation from the rooms below. I'd try to keep the humidity down, no clothes on radiators, open the windows, put on the extractor when cooking, lids on the saucepans etc.

I spray a dettol surface cleaner on the mouldy bits as its ethanol based and that will kill mould. Less hazardous to my clothes than bleach.

Advertisement