Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Retailer Rip Offs

Options
  • 31-10-2009 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Spot the difference

4 x Bosch Wiper blades (2 x 21", 1 x 24" 1 x 28")
    1 x Universal Fuel Cap
    1 x Simoniz Black Polish

Price 1 = €84.94

Price 2 = €50 exactly.

One price was in a big UK motor parts & bike retailer with stores in many retail parks (€84.94) , the other was in a small independent store on Drumcondra road. (Consort Motor factors)

Simarily, I purchased a stanley pliers in the harware store a few doors away for 9.95. Same item in B&Q naas was €12.99

Put it another way - The big UK retailers are the ones ripping Irish consumers off. They do their ricing in lofty towers in central London and have not a clue about local market conditions. - But they don't care as the consumers they lose in the south will go the the exact same stores in the north - so there's no incentive whatsoever for UK retailer to bring their prices down to the levels of Independent Irish retailers!

Your local INDEPENDENT Irish retailer is giving value everyday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

A lot of them still operate on a add 50% on to the sterling price. Ignoring the fact that the pound is not that strong anymore, and hasn't been for years.

I worked in a british based camping product store and everything was 50% more than the sterling price. Even when the exchange rate was only maybe £1 = €1.20. They just didn't bother changing it. Rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

NothingMan wrote: »
    A lot of them still operate on a add 50% on to the sterling price. Ignoring the fact that the pound is not that strong anymore, and hasn't been for years.

I worked in a british based camping product store and everything was 50% more than the sterling price. Even when the exchange rate was only maybe £1 = €1.20. They just didn't bother changing it. Rediculous.

Exactly the reason why we should all support local Irish retailers who DO offer fair prices.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Our much beloved Irish retailer Smyths does the same thing.

Lego Mindstorms on their UK site is considerably cheaper than on their Irish site.

So obviously UK consumers are less willing/less able to pay high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jaga

Guys 'n Gals......ya just gotta shop around, don't be afraid to quote cheaper price and give local retailer a chance to price match. I do it all the time , to varying degrees of success but to an unvarying degree of embarrasssment to my teenage offspring, after which the price differential is almost unimportant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

For the most part, Irish shoppers have just bent over and paid the price (too lazy / snobbish too shop around). It's insane that it's taken shops so long to adapt the prices. Mates in the UK couldn't believe that shops over here were just closing down without making the slightest bit of effort to get custom through proper offers and sales - something the UK has been doing heavily for months!

Ok so there are arguments to buying in Ireland but we've been shafted for so long that we won't see any benefit by doing so!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Supervalu isn't competitive at all

Advertisement