Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day at the Races

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

christeb wrote: »

26 May 2013 Sun 12.50m 1:33:30 0:07:28 pace
    LSR. Felt good for the start, the lads were taking it a little easier than normal due to a race later this week. A magnificent morning, really enjoyable the whole way around. My arm started to get sore from 10m on, it's a pain near the tricep. Not sure if it's fromm circuits, I've been doing some pullups recently too so maybe I'll know them on the head. 11.85 miles @ 7:26, a slow 1m to finish.

Nice running on Saturday there Brian, you were flying coming into the finish area.

As regards the Sunday LSR, typical that you guys have an easy day when im not around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

27 May 2013 Mon 5.00m 0:40:00 08:00 pace
    AM - 0630 bikram. Good session, really sets you up for the day. Easy 5m runmute home after work, got soaked too which ensured there would be no extra miles at the end.

28 May 2013 Tue 7.50m 0:53:33 07:08 pace
    Had a sneaky day off, so headed out solo as all clubmates were racing in Dunboyne. Great run, beautiful weather so hit the coast road. Raheny -> Sutton X -> turn right, around the church and back home. Think it clocks in at 7.5m, the Garmin died after a couple of miles. Very happy with the pace here, was holding 7:06ish with relative ease.

29 May 2013
    AM - 0630 Bikram. Turning this into a good habit !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

29 May 2013
    AM - 0630 Bikram. Turning this into a good habit !!

I do Astanga every friday aswell, only at 6pm not 6am. 2 hrs of brutality(the girl who teaches us is a sadist) but have to say its great, think everybody who runs/plays football/rugby/cycling should do yoga.

tunguska wrote: »
    I do Astanga every friday aswell, only at 6pm not 6am. 2 hrs of brutality(the girl who teaches us is a sadist) but have to say its great, think everybody who runs/plays football/rugby/cycling should do yoga.

agree, I still feel better after a good yoga session than I do after a run. I'm like you, I'll be a yogi long after I've stopped running, just need to get this sub 3 out of the way ;)

Where do you do your 2hr session? DM me if you don't want hordes of groupies showing up at your next class.

29 May 2013 Wed 5.20 0:42:00 0:08:04 PM runmute
    Colleague brought home amazing Spanish chocolate, so between that and the early yoga this was a slow one.

30 May 2013 Thu 5.15 0:41:00 0:07:57 AM runmute
    Superb morning to run, no Garmin so it may have been a bit quicker than estimated.

Away for the weekend so hope I can string some good miles together in between comedy and great food!

• Advertisement

31 May 2013 Fri 4.00m 0:28:00 07:00pace
    Started the day with a session with my boxing buddy. First exercise was pushing his Golf 70m and alternating. At 191cm, this was a struggle for me. Other exercises were fireman's lifts, farmer's walks, sandbag drags and some medicine ball work. 4 sets, with some medicine ball sit ups to finish.

Quick run around Kilkenny later in the day.

164 miles in total for May.

1 Jun 2013 Sat
    2 Jun 2013 Sun

Took the weekend off, comedy, music and beer took precedence. Fun.

3 Jun 2013 Mon 13.00m 1:40:00 07:41pace

Lone LSR, up early determined to get back on track. Normally not good at doing these solo, so delighted I stayed with it. Uneventful run, apart from the fact I forgot the most important thing before a long run, so was clenching my cheeks for most of the way around. Pace could've been a little faster than this, didn't have a Garmin on. Very happy with it, and had some fuel left in the tank were it required.

Plan for the week is to extend the runmutes a little to increase mileage, do Malahide Parkrun on Satuday and get another good LSR into the legs on Sunday.

4 Jun 2013 Tue 5.20m 0:44:00 0:08:27 PM runmute

5 Jun 2013 Wed 5.20m 0:42:00 0:08:04 pace AM runmute

6 Jun 2013 Thu 12.40m 1:32:30 0:07:27 pace Howth summit
    Awesome run which was scheduled with a clubmate. From the clubhouse, straight up to Howth summit (the cemetary way) and home. We kept a sensible pace to start and then upped it to 7:2x for most of the way, hills included. We were very consistent and gave it plenty of socks going up. I stretched the legs a little coming downhill and we stayed together until 10.5, when I stopped with my tri/bicep pain. Annoying, but I stretched and jogged home.

7 Jun 2013 Fri started the day with some Bikram, needed it after yesterday's run.

Maybe a 4 miler tonight and then Parkrun tomorrow, LSR Sunday.

Nice Howth hill run there B.

Possibly suggest that to the lads on Sunday morning, getting a bit board of the Howth rd, Fairview park course...

8 Jun 2013 Sat
    The finale to our Come Dine With Me meant I had a couple of beers and didn't make Parkrun. We came 2nd last, although only 3 points separated all teams!

9 Jun 2013 Sun 15.25 miles 1:52:30 0:07:22 pace
    Great LSR. Felt fresh leaving home, and the 0800 start means I'm only waking up at 4 miles. Clontarf / Bayside seafront was like Malibu, and the stretch down to the Causeway, with beating sun and no one around, reminded me of those pictures you see of the Badwater Ultra. A little dramatic, maybe?! Shoulders were sore again from 12m onwards, and I was happy to see the end after 15+. Legs weren't completly empty though. Ran this in my Lunaracers, I don't think they're my marathon shoe, a little too unstable and bouncy.

51m on the week,

10 Jun 2013 Mon Bikram
    Good session to start the day and rinse out the legs from yesterday.

Goal this week is to hit 50 again, hopefully squeeze in a circuits session if I can too.

Decent weekly mileage there B.

Couldnt manage Howth hill myself on Sunday, went out with Damo and the rest and paid for my arrogance, and was summarily dropped at mile 4.

2 milers start tonight...

• Advertisement

10 Jun 2013 Mon 6.00 0:54:00 0:09:00
    2.7m easy with the OH, then 3 @ ca. 7:20 pace on grass around St Anne's Park. Achilles got sore, so another bit warm down then home to do plenty of stretching

11 Jun 2013 Tue 5.20m 0:41:00 0:07:53pace
    Wet runmute

12 Jun 2013 Wed 7.40m 0:58:04 0:07:50 pace
    Long runmute to start the day. Coming into Connolly I clipped a pole and my glas jar of porridge exloded. Highly unsatisfactory. Shortly after I picked up 2 free Nutrigrains, so every dark cloud etc. Felt great the whole way in.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Decent weekly mileage there B.

Couldnt manage Howth hill myself on Sunday, went out with Damo and the rest and paid for my arrogance, and was summarily dropped at mile 4.

2 milers start tonight...

I was happy to stay with the 2nd group and get the miles in. John F is planning the same as me in DCM (*cough*), so he's the man to stick with for me.

Think I'll give the 2 milers a miss, they're not too beneficial in a marathon plan...

13 Jun 2013 Thu 8.50m 1:04:00 7:31 pace

Same 5.2m runmute home @ 8:02 easy pace. Dropped off the bag, changed runners, a quick trip to the bathroom and back out for the main event.

3 x 1m intervals @ 6:01, 6:07, 6:05 respectively off 60 secs rest. I dug out an old email from theboyblunder which advised this session towards the beginning of a marathon block. Felt ok for the first lap and a half and had to dig in for the rest. I'd class it as a 9 on the pain scale. Happy to get it done, especially as I was on my own. The 1 mile lap in Raheny is perfect for this, it's dead handy to have on my doorstep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will you be stewarding on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

13 Jun 2013 Thu 8.50m 1:04:00 7:31 pace

Same 5.2m runmute home @ 8:02 easy pace. Dropped off the bag, changed runners, a quick trip to the bathroom and back out for the main event.

3 x 1m intervals @ 6:01, 6:07, 6:05 respectively off 60 secs rest. I dug out an old email from theboyblunder which advised this session towards the beginning of a marathon block. Felt ok for the first lap and a half and had to dig in for the rest. I'd class it as a 9 on the pain scale. Happy to get it done, especially as I was on my own. The 1 mile lap in Raheny is perfect for this, it's dead handy to have on my doorstep.

Great stuff B. Leaps and bounds.

Will you be stewarding on Sunday?

I'll offer but they normally get enough people. I'll most likely be down to cheer on the crew. You running?

14 Jun 2013 Fri 7.5m 0:58:30 0:07:47 pace

Up and atom at 0620 for a run to Ranelagh. Easy pace. Met my buddy there and we drove to Palmerstown Park with his circuits kit in the back. A session consisting of keg pushup / cleans, "over the threshold" carries, keg carries and medicine ball situps. When your warm-down consists of hitting a tyre with a sledgehammer you know you're doing something right (or wrong).

Killer way to start the day, legs were pretty OK after yesterday's intervals. Will take it easy tomorrow and LSR Sunday to finish off a great week.

1m wd run into work from Ranelagh after.

15 Jun 2013 Sat 4.20m 0:33:00 7:51 pace

Easy afternoon spin around St Anne's Park inc. 4 x strides to finish.

16 Jun 2013 Sun 15.00m 1:50:54 7:23 pace

Club LSR. Didn't feel great, having been out until 1am the night before. However, laced up the shoes and stumbled out the door. On a morning like this I'm glad I live 3 min from the clubhouse. 4/6 guys were in my group, with a couple dropping out at various points. Same route as last week, with a similar pace. Mile 14 was 7:04, and we were fairly comfortable the whole way, even though we had the wind in our faces from m10 - m13. My shoulder trouble came back from m9 onwards, although I shook it off by stretching and contorting intermittently.

A nice finish to possibly my best training week ever - 54 miles (inc. 1 cruise intervals session) + 2 conditioning sessions.

17 Jun 2013 Mon 4.50m 0:37:00 8:13 pace
    Slow runmute home. I ate way too close to departure which slowed me somewhat.

18 Jun 2013 Tue 7.50m 1:00:00 8:00 pace
    AM runmute, amazing morning. Took a longer way into work along the Clontarf seafront. Had a large breakfast before take-off, I should stop doing that. Felt good once I got into it.

17 Jun 2013 Mon 4.50m 0:37:00 8:13 pace
    Slow runmute home. I ate way too close to departure which slowed me somewhat.

18 Jun 2013 Tue 7.50m 1:00:00 8:00 pace
    AM runmute, amazing morning. Took a longer way into work along the Clontarf seafront. Had a large breakfast before take-off, I should stop doing that. Felt good once I got into it.

Brian why not run on empty? Seems to me that it'd be a lot more convenient.

• Advertisement

I should, I don't like missing my porridge and (home-laid!) eggs in the morning. I'll start bringing porridge in and having eggs at home for morning runs.

19 Jun 2013 Wed 5.50m 0:41:00 7:27 pace
    Runmute home. Had intended to do intervals but it didn't work out that way. Happy with this run, as I pushed myself a little and was very tired afterwards.

20 Jun 2013 Thu 7.50m 0:58:00 7:44 pace
    6.5 early miles to Ranelagh. Met up with my buddy and then off to Palmerstown Park to do an early circuits session. "Over the threshold" carries, keg carries, powerball slam, sandbag drags and a plank to finish. All x 3.
    1 mile into work warm down.

21 Jun 2013 Fri 5.50m 43:30 7:54 pace

Easy start to the day, with 4 x strides and a dynamic warm down (heel kicks, lunges, knee raises) thrown in to finish.

I'm happy with this kind of pace on runmute, any faster feels like too much of an effort. Especially as I'm running with a bag, the freedom of LSRs and club runs with no bag makes a big difference to pace.

21 Jun 2013 Fri 10.70m 1:25:00 0:07:56
    PM 5.2 miles (to add to the 5.5 posted above). First double of the year, maybe ever. Runmute home, surprisingly comfortable

22 Jun 2013 Sat 4.50m 0:45:00 10:00pace
    Very easy run w/ OH. Strides to finish

23 Jun 2013 Sun 15.00m 1:55:00 7:40pace
    Club LSR. Ran with my usual running buddy, things were fine up to 10ish but shoulder started to hurt bad then. I don't know is it from the circuits session on Thurs, but I won't do it this week in order to see. Had to slow at 12.5 miles (7:25 pace up to then, a killer wind on the coast road sped up this process. Last 2.5 miles were jogged home at an easy pace.

55.2 miles on the week, with 1 circuits session. 18 week plan starts next week, with intervals and 49 miles (doing 18 week 70m Daniels plan). Although if my shoulder stays the way it is, there won't be any more marathon / LSRing for me.

Feeling good otherwise. Two random people commenting on how skinny I looked during the week. It's a sure sign I'm getting into good marathon shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice weeks training Mr C which marathon and any targets yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I should, I don't like missing my porridge and (home-laid!) eggs in the morning. I'll start bringing porridge in and having eggs at home for morning runs.

I run into work maybe once a week (only 5-6 miles), and about 6-8 months ago i would ensure i had a coffee and a slice of toast before i headed out. Thought i couldnt manage without it. I hated running on empty, still do. But as tunguska says, convenience (extra sleep vs. Digestion time) won out and i lived with it. Got used to it, and now its a habit.

I think it served me very well in my spring training cycle, where i would run home on thursdays (7-10 miles- adding extra to the shortest line) run into work on Fridays (5-6 miles) then do a long run on saturdays.

A difficult adjustment at the time, but normal once its done!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice weeks training Mr C which marathon and any targets yet?

dcm 2:59. I can dream!

The dreaded manflu kick my ass for the first two days of the week, so easing back into it.

26 Jun 2013 Wed 5.20 0:43:00 0:08:16
    PM runmute, still wasn't 100%

27 Jun 2013 Thu 5.20 0:41:00 0:07:53
    AM runmute. It's true what they say about running - it never gets easier, you just get faster. Found this tough too, although I was cruising at a comfortable enough pace.

I'll try to squeeze in this week's speed session tomorrow and then a 14m LSR on Sunday. Will hopefully hit >40 miles for the week.

55.2 miles on the week, with 1 circuits session. 18 week plan starts next week, with intervals and 49 miles (doing 18 week 70m Daniels plan). Although if my shoulder stays the way it is, there won't be any more marathon / LSRing for me.

Feeling good otherwise. Two random people commenting on how skinny I looked during the week. It's a sure sign I'm getting into good marathon shape!

Im surprised you're having difficulties with your shoulder though seeing as you do yoga and all. Since I started doing yoga myself the shoulders are a lot more free and flexible. Have you tried dry needling?
    70miles/week on plan A would have you in great shape come october. I think 2:59 would be a fairly soft target if you did stick with the plan and stayed injury free.

• Advertisement

Im surprised you're having difficulties with your shoulder though seeing as you do yoga and all. Since I started doing yoga myself the shoulders are a lot more free and flexible. Have you tried dry needling?
    70miles/week on plan A would have you in great shape come october. I think 2:59 would be a fairly soft target if you did stick with the plan and stayed injury free.

That's certainly the plan, E. I'm hoping the shoulder issues are down to the circuits sessions I've been doing, they are quite strenuous on the shoulders and I do them a little close to LSRs. I'll give them a miss from now on, or just to them very early in the week.

Advertisement