Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day at the Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

christeb wrote: »
    Sunday 13th Feb
    No running but I'm putting it in as it was a pretty savage day. AM: 65mins of 11 a side Raheny Rovers action. We lost 7-1, we need players. If anyone knows anyone who is looking for a friendly club in NE Dublin, drop me a PM!

Afternoon: In / out of town on the bike. Tough after taking some knocks this morning.

Evening: 1 hr of astro. My weekly game, I think the reason Torres played so badly against Arsenal was that I possessed his spirit for this game, I couldn't miss from anywhere...

Tues 15th Feb
    Easy enough 6m home form college, ca 8.10 pace with a rucksack. Missed the rain too, result.

Did you get a hold of a Delorean and a flux capacitor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Did you get a hold of a Delorean and a flux capacitor ;)

Long night in college!

5.5m home from town. Had 2 lunchtime pints and a glass of mulled wine / mince pie just before heading, 047blah blah eat youor heart out!

Easy enough pace, hopefully get a decent medium run in tomorrow pre-Christmas messiness

14.2m @ 8.15 HR 145

Amazing run, went from the house out to Howth, did the little loop by the Summit car park and home. Took plenty of breaks, just enjoyed it thoroughly. Hands coming home got very cold under the gloves, my fingers were absolutely throbbing when I got it. Pace was decent enough considering there was some trail-like stuff in there too.

That's a 26m week, I'll be doing well to get much running in next week, out most nights....

Oh and Paul McCartney was the gig of '09 - hands down. Sorry Len (Cohen) / Bob (Dylan) / Matt (Muse)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

[I'll be doing well to get much running in next week, out most nights....

What's the problem here? HTFU and set the alarm 45mins earlier each morning - out of the bed and out the door in 3 minutes! ;)

• Advertisement

This guy (points at self) doesn't run when under the influence. Which is what I'll be this week, mornings included.

Also I don't think anyone has alluded to this not-so-well known fact, but it's true that the bod doesn't lose fitness during Christmas week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Oh and Paul McCartney was the gig of '09 - hands down. Sorry Len (Cohen) / Bob (Dylan) / Matt (Muse)

Amazing gig. I loved it.

Track Intervals!

A session on the UCd track with a couple of buddies today:

3 x 900 (times in brackets are the mile equivalents)
    3:13 (5:40)
    ca. 3.13
    ca. 3.13 (messed these up on the laps)

3 x 600
    1.59 (5.14)
    1.59 (5.14)
    2.01 (5.18)

3 x 400
    1:17 (5.12)
    1.17 (5.12)
    1.16 (5.06)

3 x 200
    35 (4.55)
    34 (4.36)
    33 (4.22)

Enjoyable sesh, good to see the Garmin showing some times it's never seen before, at least it didn't explode!

HR avg ca. 162, I'll try to get a bit of momentum going after slacking off the last few days. In my defence I did have a savage cold, partially excused!

7.5m @ 8:07 pace. HR 148
    Nice spin mostly on Portmarnock Beach today w/ Greg. Could feel the effects of yesterdays intervals - I was glad the pace wasn't faster.

Almost straight after that I played a tough game of 5 a side for 80 mins. My calves are not thanking me. I did get to debut my new Denmark Bendtner 11 jersey - I played almost as bad as he does!

5m @ 8.47 HR 134
    Very easy, wet and dark recovery run, I think my calves will thank me for this as they were like cinder blocks all day. I may have fallen asleep somewhere in mile 3, had to speed up once or twice to keep the mile time under the dreaded 9.xx time :eek:

• Advertisement

7.33 @ 8.14 pace

Very enjoyable spin around Howth with Greg to cap off a good year. Total miles ran was around the 1,420 mark, with the 1,000 passed on the 13th Sept. I'd like to hit the 2k mark for next year. Overall it was a great year, with some notable races being the Midsummers 5k in Raheny (18:33), the MSB 5k on Paddy's Day (19.50) and the Pearl Izumi 10k ini September (39:33). A slightly dissappointing DCM means I'll be back for more, even thought I couldn't have enjoyed the day any more.

Plan for next year are to break 30 mins for the 5mile, with the top priority being a BQ Marathon in the Autumn. At the moment I'm thinking of the Baystate Marathon in Mass, it's fast and flat with perfect timing to give 2 Boston Qualifications with the one time (as the time last for 18 months). However, this year I would like to put this beyond any doubt, so I'll be following the P&D 70m plan.

A big thank you to all here who I've happily raced against and garnered LOADS of help from, may we all achieve our goals in 2010 :)

Ended up staying in last night, glad I did with that weather!

8m @ 8:02 HR 152
    St Anne's Park was a winter wonderland today, 2 laps of the inside. Extremely enjoyable, I was half-tempted to go again. Calves are quite tight, I need to concentrate on stretching them out fully regularly during the day.

Robbed from beepbeep67:
    MTD (month to date): 8
    YTD (year to date): 8

10m @ 7:40 HR 155

Got a couple of kicks out the door this evening. 1 anti-movational (which I took as motivation) from a close friend ("take the night off and eat chocolate"!) and 1 after listening to Catriona McKiernan on Newstalk ("take smaller strides, lean fwd and relax those ankles").

Ran down to the Raheny Shamrocks clubhouse too see if anyone wanted to drag my ass around. Not a soul in sight so I headed off solo. Pace was good starting off, and this last until the 6th mile. I inadvertently took 10 paces into an ankle deep puddle, soaking both my feet. This took my mojo away for a few miles. The old christeb would have cut the run short, but the 2010 version is different! Got my mojo back somewhat in the 9th mile, although there were less places to escape the ice and was dancing a bit more than I wanted to on the bare pieces!

All in all a great run, legs felt great throughout and this is the type of run I need to do a lot more of, consistently hitting the sub 7:40 miles on the aerobic runs.

# Runs: 2
    MTD (month to date): 18
    YTD (year to date): 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

10m @ 7:40 HR 155

I inadvertently took 10 paces into an ankle deep puddle, soaking both my feet. This took my mojo away for a few miles.

I know EXACTLY where you are talking about as I did the exact same thing a few evenings ago, Although I managed to 'ballerina dance' out of it on my tippy toes in a couple of strides..still got the feet wet though.

Macanri wrote: »
    I know EXACTLY where you are talking about as I did the exact same thing a few evenings ago, Although I managed to 'ballerina dance' out of it on my tippy toes in a couple of strides..still got the feet wet though.

Same place? On the Coast Rd. "black path" in clontarf where the jetty is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

That's it yea. I usually run on the garss, but as the grass was totally waterlogged I ran on the path and straight into that long puddle/lake.

Macanri wrote: »
    That's it yea. I usually run on the garss, but as the grass was totally waterlogged I ran on the path and straight into that long puddle/lake.

Thought so. Yeah it's a f0cker, crap lighting and it totally looks like a path!

5 v. easy miles @ 8.34 HR 138
    Just loosened out the legs after Saturday and a bit of a warm-up for 1hr of 5 a side. Was tempted to turn on the GPS to log a few more miles in the 1,000 mile challenge playing football, but I'm not that petty!

# Runs: 3
    MTD: 23
    YTD: 23

6.5 @ ~7.55 home from work. Ran with a French guy for ~4 miles, an ex-2.41 Marathoner no less, and that wasn't even his favoured distance! Gave him some info about upcoming races, as he's just arrived here I hope he turns up at a few events.

# Runs: 4
    MTD: 29.5
    YTD: 29.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

an ex-2.41 Marathoner

Once a 2:41 marathoner, always a 2:41 marathoner! If I join the sub-3 club, then I always want to be known as a sub-3 marathoner. Was hoping you didn't lose that status, even if you go on to run 4 hour marathons in 10 years time.

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Once a 2:41 marathoner, always a 2:41 marathoner! If I join the sub-3 club, then I always want to be known as a sub-3 marathoner. Was hoping you didn't lose that status, even if you go on to run 4 hour marathons in 10 years time.

I actually thought that when I wrote it - hereby rescinded!

5.5m easy home from college. untimed

I have been getting some heartburn recently, had to stop once or twice when it got very uncomfortable. Tough underfoot conditions too.
    Rewarding myself with a rather large Oreo milkshake, I not feeling guilty about this stuff.

Also I have been thinking about my Raheny 5 target time. Not sure I'm in sub 30 (a blatant plea for someone to come along and say I am!!!). I do plan to give 31 mins a good run for it's money though, especially with some solid weeks training in the pipeline

# Runs: 5
    MTD: 35
    YTD: 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey I remember you said aaages ago that you are doing the Raheny 5......I haven't been reading your log in ages. Anyway, I think you are good for sub 30 :D

About the heartburn. I've been getting that over xmas because my diet has been total pants. Skipped a run tonight and went to McDonalds with the OH :mad: How is your diet?

Hey I remember you said aaages ago that you are doing the Raheny 5......I haven't been reading your log in ages. Anyway, I think you are good for sub 30 :D

About the heartburn. I've been getting that over xmas because my diet has been total pants. Skipped a run tonight and went to McDonalds with the OH :mad: How is your diet?

Diet is decent enough spare some sugar binges 3-4 times / week (skin gets bad if I eat more than this). Although it has happened only recently, so hopefully I cn just put it down to the time of year.

Sub 30 here I come :eek:

6m untimed home from work.
    By far the best way to get home this evening, shels is right - everyone is insane out there! I helped a poor guy up a slope at the North Strand Bridge, traffic moving nowhere. Little drama to report, a couple of scares in the first mile but after that I was pretty OK. An unintentional fartlek I like to refer to it as.
    On a related note, gooing to see Avatar 3D later - I'm not the one driving!

# Runs: 6
    MTD: 41
    YTD: 41

Sat 9th: 4m @ 7.55 HR 152
    Nice loop of the St. Anne's Park w/ Macanri after Peckham couldn't make it down. A fresh snowfall meant the park was beautiful, I should have kept going.

Sun 10th: 4m @ 8.13 HR 139
    Didn't enjoy this as much, the snow was melting and it's slush and messy in places. This now is tiring, looking forward to seeing the back of it.

# Runs: 8
    MTD: 49
    YTD: 49

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

didnt do too much myself today either, you managed slightly more tho - horrible day for it. really hate these conditions. cant wait till it improves, what i wouldnt give for some warm weather training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sat 9th: 4m @ 7.55 HR 152
    Nice loop of the St. Anne's Park w/ Macanri after Peckham couldn't make it down. A fresh snowfall meant the park was beautiful, I should have kept going.

Sun 10th: 4m @ 8.13 HR 139
    Didn't enjoy this as much, the snow was melting and it's slush and messy in places. This now is tiring, looking forward to seeing the back of it.

# Runs: 8
    MTD: 49
    YTD: 49

like the blog (stephen/tcd here)
    my shorter-distance goals are similar to yours this year (but im nowhere near as fast over 1-2 miles!)

best of luck with them!

am very jealous that you have howth to run around. where I live we have, well, err, the liffey, as a running amenity :)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    didnt do too much myself today either, you managed slightly more tho - horrible day for it. really hate these conditions. cant wait till it improves, what i wouldnt give for some warm weather training

Agreed, today was a major pick up though, fingers crossed we'll be fine now.
    like the blog (stephen/tcd here)
    my shorter-distance goals are similar to yours this year (but im nowhere near as fast over 1-2 miles!)

best of luck with them!

am very jealous that you have howth to run around. where I live we have, well, err, the liffey, as a running amenity :)

Hey Stephen - good to see you on here. Yeah you can't beat St. Anne's Park / Bull Island / Howth for running, Raheny is where it's at!

I also see you're in the 1,000 mile thread, you're my new #1 target :)

• Advertisement

8.5m @ 7:43 pace

Roads cleared up nicely today, felt pretty fast and strong for the first 5m or so. As I've been practicing the fore/mid foot land, my calves get quite sore, left especially after ~4-5m. A matter of building it up I suppose. Stopped to stretch @ 5m and ran the rest of the way a lot slower with a distinct lazy heel strike. Amazingly what a difference it makes.

# Runs: 9
    MTD: 57.5
    YTD: 57.5

Advertisement