Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day at the Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

5.5m home from college untimed. Still happy to run in the wind / drizzle as there's no ice around. I had the worst dietary day in ages today - a new colleague brought in a 1kg bar of Dairy Milk. I actually ate 800g of it, it was amazing. This is why I run!

Left calf at me somewhat, it feels pretty weak and "empty" after 3-5 miles. I think I'll run through it! Also 3m Raheny race on tomorrow night, hopefully I can pull out a solid sub 18:30, although there was a serious wind out on the course tonight.

# Runs: 10
    MTD: 63
    YTD: 63

Raheny Winter League - round 3

3m @ 6.03 pace - 18.10 finish (PB) HR 165

Just looking at that HR first off - it's very low isn't it?!
    Nice one tonight, perfect conditions spare the wet ground, so no excuses. Warmed up with GoHard and Robin. First lap pretty fast although I felt good - 5.46. Robin was already off, it was clear the conditions would produce vastly quicker times than last time. 2nd lap again too slow, 6.15. I was struggling to breath in through my nose, the cold air in through the mouth wasn't doing y muscles any favours. Respectable last lap in 6.09 to give a 30 sec 3m PB from the same race pre-Xmas. Some good times all round, and this was possibly the first sporting event held in Ireland in 2010!

# Runs: 11 (1 race)
    MTD: 68.5
    YTD: 68.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

christeb wrote: »
    Raheny Winter League - round 3

3m @ 6.03 pace - 18.10 finish (PB) HR 165

Just looking at that HR first off - it's very low isn't it?!
    Nice one tonight, perfect conditions spare the wet ground, so no excuses. Warmed up with GoHard and Robin. First lap pretty fast although I felt good - 5.46. Robin was already off, it was clear the conditions would produce vastly quicker times than last time. 2nd lap again too slow, 6.15. I was struggling to breath in through my nose, the cold air in through the mouth wasn't doing y muscles any favours. Respectable last lap in 6.09 to give a 30 sec 3m PB from the same race pre-Xmas. Some good times all round, and this was possibly the first sporting event held in Ireland in 2010!

# Runs: 11 (1 race)
    MTD: 68.5
    YTD: 68.5

Great time brian, looking very good fora decent pb in the raheny 5! If i did a 5'46 first mile it would lead to a DNF pretty quickly.
    HR looks too low to me for a faster than LT race, either that or you have a good deal more untapped in the tank... great run again

Great time brian, looking very good fora decent pb in the raheny 5! If i did a 5'46 first mile it would lead to a DNF pretty quickly.
    HR looks too low to me for a faster than LT race, either that or you have a good deal more untapped in the tank... great run again

Thanks Steve. I think a sub 31 in the 5 would be a satisfying result. The HR thing perplexes me too. It's like my muscles run out of steam before my CV system (I'm not sure that makes sense??). Especially last night when the air was cold and I was struggling to get enough warm air in. Or I'm just a lazy you know what....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Nice running last night christeb..

You either have a freakishly low hr or your hrm is on the blink... have you ever had any fitness testing done?

• Advertisement

rigal wrote: »
    Nice running last night christeb..

You either have a freakishly low hr or your hrm is on the blink... have you ever had any fitness testing done?

Nothing proper - I went to the Science Gallery to a one-day thing they had on last Summer. In the spinning class my HR was the lowest in the group, but I'm putting that down to being in general amazingly sexy brilliant shape :D

Something I'll certainly consider though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well Done Christeb, good running. You'll be in under 18mins on the next 3 miler.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My HR for last night only averaged at 164 and have been curious about it being lower than I'd expect in races as well for the last while. Maybe we are just not trying hard enough, that's not what it feels like though. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

robinph wrote: »
    My HR for last night only averaged at 164 and have been curious about it being lower than I'd expect in races as well for the last while. Maybe we are just not trying hard enough, that's not what it feels like though. :confused:

What is your max rate, I've only had mine on in one race ever and was shocked at how high it was. But that was a 3k.

Your just a slacker I always knew your holding back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Christeb, thats a brilliant time.

Have you tried somebody elses HR and Garmin? Just to rule it out.

• Advertisement

Well done Christeb, thats a brilliant time.

Have you tried somebody elses HR and Garmin? Just to rule it out.

Good idea, I'll give it a shot.

Thurs 11th Jan
    Mr. Black Ice raised his ugly spectre this morning, I too a nice spill on the bike in the estate. Went straight on my knee, busted it fairly bad. A break is in order.
    As I have a genetic defect which means I can't say no to the offer of astro football, I limped through an hour in the evening. Tough.

Weekend off at the Winter Music Weekend in Sixmilebridge, Co Clare. Epic.

Sun 14th Jan
    Astro in Ringsend. I was knackered after driving straight from Clare hungover, but I cast off the heaviness to put in a respectable performance lilttered with some amazing strikes!

Mon 15th Jan
    7.5m @ 7.27 pace HR 148.
    Nice run, got into a good rhythm for the first 5.5m or so. Left calf started at me then, its a lot weaker and still moans at me when I try min/forefoot landing. Could have easily knocked out an extra 2.5m but I wanted to put down the nicer pace, as I was slowing. Decent start to the week, it was tough to get out as I've just received a belated package from the G-parents in Denmark - full of amazing goodies.

# Runs: 12 (1 race)
    MTD: 76
    YTD: 76

Thurs 11th Jan
    Left calf started at me then, its a lot weaker and still moans at me when I try min/forefoot landing.

I found them pretty sore when I switched too. Took me about a month of slower running to break them in - was fine after that.

+1 on the astroball problem - almost incapable of saying no.

4m untimed home from college. Shortened as I popped in to oversee the end of Raheny Rovers first training session of the new year. 8 new recruits on show, a great turnout. Our Champions League 2020 dream is still alive!

# Runs: 13 (1 race)
    MTD: 80
    YTD: 80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Enjoy your new Today FM Coffee holder!

belcarra wrote: »
    Enjoy your new Today FM Coffee holder!

Thanks, I hope you liked the tune. I won a load of Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff on Today FM the next night too. They rock!

Thurs 21st Jan
    8m @ 8.23
    enjoyable run with Greg in tough conditions, he's carrying an injury though we were never getting near any great pace.

Sun 24th Jan
    6 a side astro in Ringsend. After a drunken, lazy, unheathy weekend, this was a good way to finish it off. Scored some of my best too!

Mon 25th Jan
    8m @ ~8.05
    First 3m were with a few Shamrocks heads, rest was solo. Left calf felt pretty dead after 4m, think I got a kick yesterday. Think of Eusebio in '66, then multiply it x2, that's how much I get targeted in the weekly game of astro!

# Runs: 15 (1 race)
    MTD: 96
    YTD: 96

Easy 4 home from college untimed. Hit the first 100, that was fairly painless. Leg still not in great shape now, I'll give the 2m race a bash tomorrow and see if I'm OK to do the Raheny 5. I should be fine, I'm justy a moan. Speaking of which, can everyone please stop making new logs so I'm on pg 3 after 24 hours?!

Have been taking MCOS' push-up challenge, I'm up to 38 knucklers (equiv to 55 normal ones!), so progress is being made....

# Runs: 16 (1 race)
    MTD: 100
    YTD: 100

Have been taking MCOS' push-up challenge, I'm up to 38 knucklers (equiv to 55 normal ones!), so progress is being made....

Ouch! Id be surprised if i could do ten...

Wed 27th Jan - Raheny Winter League rnd 4
    1st mile 5'37, 2nd mile DNF :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stomach was at me during the warm up, the pace just amplified this and after the halfway I started cramping. Being the all-or-nothing type person I am, knowing I wasn't going to give my Ob a scare, I dropped out, as live nearby. A quick scamper home and the remorse set in!!

Became a member of Raheny shamrocks also, thanks for eveything BAC. PS: BAC singlet (size L) for sale! Has seen a few PBs....

Thurs 28th Jan
    10m @ 7.47 HR 142

Set out to run comfortably within myself, which I did the whole way around. A fartlek-ish run, due to the wind, 3 or so miles ~7.10, last was an 8.35 wd. An enjoyable run, more so as I haven't been feeling it so far this week.

# Runs: 18 (1 race)
    MTD: 113
    YTD: 113

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

you ll make up for last night on sunday anyways!!

Sunday 31st Jan - Raheny 5

Prep wasn't ideal, ended up getting drunk until 3am with the work guys on Friday and then had my Mam's 50th on Friday, sober but still a late night.

Felt OK starting off, found TheBoyBlunder near the front, we had kind of agreed to set out together until he got the pace up (it takes him a while!). First 2 mile @ ca. 6.15 and I could feel I was cooked. I had eaten a large sandwich 2 hrs before (I never eat white bread - why why why) and my stomach was heaving. I laid back and the pace regressed also. I also struggled with my breathing in the cold.

Still it's a PB, and not too big a PB so it's easily enough broken!

1 hr of astroball in the evening, enjoyable as always. Although the fact that I felt so fresh would suggest I didn't tap the tank enough in the race.

# Runs: 19 (2 races, 1 PB)
    MTD: 119 TOTAL FOR JAN
    YTD: 119[/QUOTE]

ah dude the prep sucked but well done on the PB, thats the main thing, progress. Am I right in saying (I hope this doesn't bother ya) that you always go out a little too quickly in races?

edit: I reread that, sorry if I come across a know it all there...don't mean to

ah dude the prep sucked but well done on the PB, thats the main thing, progress. Am I right in saying (I hope this doesn't bother ya) that you always go out a little too quickly in races?

edit: I reread that, sorry if I come across a know it all there...don't mean to

Yesterday I actually held back a bit, I wanted to go out at ~6.15 and see how long I could hold on. Turns out that it wasn't long. Normally I would have let the adrenaline get to me more, maybe I'm getting more mature. But yeah you're right now I think of it, the Mara and all of the adidas races last year were the same.

Tues 2nd Feb
    4m home from college

Fri 5th Feb
    Tempo session with the club around the Raheny 5 course. First time I could pinpoint a session which I wouldn't have completed solo, which is good. We went off in batches, according to predicted finishing time. I was caught at mile 2 by the 2 faster lads (1 of which is a member of the 30 x DCMs club), but I caught some of the slower guys between mile 3/4. Found it very tough, hands on the knees panting at the end!
    5m tempo in 34.09: 6.34 / 6.47 / 6.57 / 6.57 / 6.55. 1.5m wu / cd

Sat 6th Feb
    Easy 4, wanted to do an LSR but calves were shot from yesterday

Not a great running week, life stuff getting in the way. All good though so no complaints. Gave blood on Weds too which always knocks the stuffing out of me somewhat
    Drinking tonight so doubtful I'll get out tomorrow, although I'm in early stage testing of a hangover cure given by my Med student buddy, early signs are extremely positive.

# Runs: 22 (2 races, 1 PB)
    MTD: 16
    YTD: 135

Tues 9nd Feb
    5.5m home from college.

Wed 10th Feb - Raheny Winter League Rd 5
    3m @ 6.19 - 18.59 finish. Found this very tough, went out @ 6.03 for the first lap but struggled in the 2nd. Took a guy that was a good bit ahead of me in the last lap though, sprinted just to keep things under 19 (and respectable!). 1.5m wu / 1m cd - 5.5 total

Fri 12th Feb
    Fartlek 8m with 6 x 2mins (90 secs rest) HR 147 with the club. Tough run, not nearly as tough as last weeks 5m tempo but still a good session. Avg pace was just under 8 but I was a bit ahead of some of the lads after the fast bits. I think the 2 mins were ca. 6.30 avg, maybe 6.40. A satisfying session.

Sat 13th Feb
    Easy 5 @8.11 pace HR 141 with Greg, he's in pretty bad shape since the Marathon, a couple of niggles and 3 x McDonald's meals after a night out don't help!

Sun 14th Feb
    14m @ 8.02 pace HR 145 Got up for the 0800 Howth session with the club, it's nice to be back in the door before 10 bells.
    Found it quite tough, was on my own for some of it. Happy with the time though, the lads pushed me up the hill on the way up.

Happy with the week overall, have an hour of astroball planned for later, it'll keep the cobwebs off. I've been trying to focus on forefoot striking this week, the calves seem to be coping better with it so far. Hopefully I'll really start to feel the effect in the next few weeks.

# Runs: 25 (3 races, 1 PB)
    MTD: 55
    YTD: 174

Solid week Christeb. I hadn't seen your previous post and was wondering if you were injured. Quite the opposite ;) Is there a track out at Raheny that the club there use?

Solid week Christeb. I hadn't seen your previous post and was wondering if you were injured. Quite the opposite ;) Is there a track out at Raheny that the club there use?

Cheers MF, just trying to keep in touch with you! No track, there's a midweek intervals sesh on grass though (400s) that I should really try to make more often though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Cheers MF, just trying to keep in touch with you! No track, there's a midweek intervals sesh on grass though (400s) that I should really try to make more often though...
    Are they still doing hte 1500's down on the sea front? used to be great sessions.

• Advertisement

Sun 14th Feb
    14m @ 8.02 pace HR 145 Got up for the 0800 Howth session with the club, it's nice to be back in the door before 10 bells.
    Found it quite tough, was on my own for some of it. Happy with the time though, the lads pushed me up the hill on the way up.

wow - 14 miler in howth at 8am. what time did you have to get breakfast at? Sounds like a good session.

These raheny shamrocks sound like tough cookies.

Advertisement