Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Day at the Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Bad luck on the injury front Christeb.

I know what it feels like as i'm having my own battles with injuries myself but i'm going down fightin.

Do you feel the physio sessions are better than a sports massage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

christeb wrote: »
    Sun 6th Feb
    6.5m with the club, pulled up with the calf. Bad timing to say the least....Physio sesh tonight then will lay off it for a few days. The mara goal looks out of reach at this stage, given my lack of LSRs. I knew I should have went out and got wasted on Saturday night!

Sh!t man, sorry to hear that. That's tough luck. I hope it heals up quick for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Less of the negativity. 4 weeks is lots of time. If it was next week I'd be worried. 20 miles, 16 miles, 13ish miles for the next three weekends. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Less of the negativity. 4 weeks is lots of time. If it was next week I'd be worried. 20 miles, 16 miles, 13ish miles for the next three weekends. You'll be fine.
    Macanri wrote: »
    Sh!t man, sorry to hear that. That's tough luck. I hope it heals up quick for you.
    sorry to hear that. gigve it some proper rest and hopefully it will clear up quickly.
    dare2be wrote: »
    Bad luck on the injury front Christeb.

I know what it feels like as i'm having my own battles with injuries myself but i'm going down fightin.

Do you feel the physio sessions are better than a sports massage?

Cheers lads and lady / raccoon.
    60 mins of pure calf work on the table this evening.
    @Dare2be, not sure what you mean, it's pure muscle rubbing / excruciating pain that I pay for. Probably the same as a 'sports massage'

I'm cautiously optimistic, will give the 3m race on Weds a miss - let the other guys in my division catch up with me!

Was just wondering as some physios don't do the pain thing and they recommend a sports massage instead. For instance, I went to a Physio, he hooked me up to a machine, small bit of a rub, said I had itb and suggested going for a sports massage.

I've had 2 massages since and wouldn't go back to a Physio unless really necessary. A lot of them pick up easy money for not a whole lot IMO

• Advertisement

I hear ya. Yeah this is a sports massage then. It's my buddy who is the physio, so cost isn't much and in a way I think he enjoys putting through the pain. He doesn't hold back, that's for sure

dare2be wrote: »
    Was just wondering as some physios don't do the pain thing and they recommend a sports massage instead. For instance, I went to a Physio, he hooked me up to a machine, small bit of a rub, said I had itb and suggested going for a sports massage.

I've had 2 massages since and wouldn't go back to a Physio unless really necessary. A lot of them pick up easy money for not a whole lot IMO

This is why I always recommend going to a sports massage therapist(and I'm biased). This is what a lot of physios in private practice do. A lot of physios seem to be against sports massage...

[/log hijack]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sun 6th Feb
    6.5m with the club, pulled up with the calf. Bad timing to say the least....Physio sesh tonight then will lay off it for a few days. The mara goal looks out of reach at this stage, given my lack of LSRs. I knew I should have went out and got wasted on Saturday night!

I feel your pain. Two weeks before Dublin I pulled a calf muscle. Physio three times a week for two weeks (e-stim, stretching and tear-inducing massage) and some light running and I made it. I can't tell you it was perfect but you have two more weeks ... You might need to adjust your thinking about how long a taper you want. E.g. take a stepback week now and shorten the taper to a week. Good luck.

I hear ya. Yeah this is a sports massage then. It's my buddy who is the physio, so cost isn't much and in a way I think he enjoys putting through the pain. He doesn't hold back, that's for sure

Neither does mine hold back. Black and blue i was after my first visit. No pain no gain i suppose but it has helped

3 Weeks to Barca

A pretty crappy week, won't go into detail. Was at physio x 2 and pulled up on the LSR after 8m. Think I ran 27m in total

2 Weeks to Barca

Tues 15th Feb
    13m. Easy pace, went out with a good group from the club and I was feeling fresh after the lack of recent mileage. Calf stayed trouble-free so 2 thumbs up. Concked on the sofa after, couldn't even stay awake for the end of the AC Milan v Spurs match

Weds 16th Feb
    7m, half with the club. Calf again mostly OK. Was in a rush for this one, so picked the pace up a bit during the 2nd half. Crap weather.

Thurs 17th Feb

Sat 19th Feb
    6m @ 8.20 pace with a semi-non running buddy. A superb day, it was Summer-like. Around St Anne's Park and Dollymount Beach.

Sun 20th Feb
    17m @ 7.50 pace. Delighted to get around this in one piece *touches wood*, I think the calf is back to normal. Just in time. Felt fairly comfortable for this, even though I needed to take a pit stop at 15m in the house. Got straight back out into the rain, that's not very like me!

14 weeks to go, this week will be a step back (in volume, not intensity) with the exception of the club 2m Winter League race on Weds. I'm leading my division, so need to keep ahead of the lads. Shouldn't be a problem :p

Not too sure what the ambitions are for Barca time-wise, I may drop the coach an email with a summary of my training to see if he has a suggestion for me....

WTD: 50
    MTD: 109.8
    YTD: 319.5

I may have mentioned it previously, but the club are doing a Malin to Mizen Relay during the May BH weekend. FB page is here, please "Like" HERE. Drop me a line if you'#d like to participate or help out at all. It's 15 (and a bit) marathons the length of Ireland, non stop. Starts Fri 29th April at sunrise, we should finish on Sunday around noon. All for the Crumlin Children's Hospital.

• Advertisement

Last update before Barca....

1 week to go

Tues 22nd Feb
    7.5m with the club

Weds 23th Feb - Raheny Winter League Round something
    This was a 2 miler, only 1 of my division buddies was running so my target was clear, finish ahead of him. There was no watches allowed, rather predict your own time. 11:20 was my guess. A trap was laid for me, however, and I jumped straight in! This chap is smaller than me but strong, but I'm faster, so the only way he can beat me is by beating me early. I stayed with him for the first lap, which was called out as 5:30. "Ah crap" I thought, I knew I'd blown it. Went thorough a very bad patch in the second lap and it was a long mile. Finished in 11:28, not after so battling with the guys behind me. Honestly one of the most painful races I've done, totally my own fault too. I'll learn someday.

6m total

Thurs 22th Feb
    7.5m with the club

Sat 26th Feb
    6m @ ca. 8:10 pace with a buddy. Delightful morning around St Anne's Park and Dollymount Beach, slow pace to loosen the legs.

Sun 27th Feb
    11m @ ca. 7:30 pace. Nice run with the club lads, pace was handy enough and it was comfortable.

Tues 2rd March
    7.5m with the club, good run with 6 x strides thrown in at the end to keep the legs sharp.

So the plan for Barca has been decided, based on a long email I wrote to our club coach - I asked him what his opinion was on a good time.

3:20 is B goal and 3:15 is the A goal. I'd be happy with either, I'll start off at 3:20 pace and hopefully warm into things after 5-6 miles. Looking forward to the trip now, have a massage booked for Fri which will leave me feeling great on the start line at least.....

For inspiration and keeping in theme with the Queen-inspired log title, here's Freddie and Montserrat singing us towards Sunday

WTD: 7.5
    MTD: 7.5
    YTD: 369

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Last update before Barca....

For inspiration and keeping in theme with the Queen-inspired log title, here's Freddie and Montserrat signing us towards Sunday

Ah now you've just gone and depressed me!!

Good luck with the A goal on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good luck on Sunday B...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nail it this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck Brian

Any news there B ???

3:19:16, superb race and I gave it 100%. got what I deserved, so I'm still buzzing. Celebrations were superb with the crew too, everyone acquitted themselves well. Full report this week....

Well done lad... Great run...

Full report NOT this week, broke the left collarbone this morning on the bike. Fortuitous enough timing after the race, and I'm still buzzing from the trip. So not all bad. Be safe out there friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Full report NOT this week, broke the left collarbone this morning on the bike. Fortuitous enough timing after the race, and I'm still buzzing from the trip. So not all bad. Be safe out there friends!
    Jaysus Brian hope you are alright (and the bike)! Crazy car or bus?

I hope it wasn't the yellow one. Would be an awful shame for her to be hurt and scraped. She's OK, right?

Hope you're alright too like.

I hope it wasn't the yellow one. Would be an awful shame for her to be hurt and scraped. She's OK, right?

Hope you're alright too like.

Nah it wasn't her Royal Yellowness, now that would not be good. I'm ok, amazing fun watching Dail proceedings!

@BK it was neither, I happened. Plain and simples!

Right I've only 1 functional arm but can type OK, so let's give this race report a go. Laptop died recently, so can't upload the Garmin either:

Arrived in BCN an hour + late on Sat PM, which meant I didn't have time to go to the Expo and the match. Had arranged for my clubmate to pick up my number via a manager and a sob story, which thankfully worked. Taxi with jackyback into town, moved hotel (long story) and we made our way to the game. Got to sleep about 0030, didn't sleep well the previous 2 nights either so not ideal.

Race morning, we convinced the hotel to open up the kitchen, there was limited supplies and no porridge. Luckily I packed some extra Alpen as a last resort, so shared this between the clubmate and myself. An energy gel, got ready and we strolled to the start via chatting with a Spanish guy (in Spanish!) who told us a bit about the course.

Went into the 3-3:30 pen with ca. 15 mins to go, I was buzzing, just buzzing. They were blaring "Barcelona" by Freddie and Monserrat and shooting coloured paper into the air. Eveyone was excited (apart from Oisin1178 who was complaining about something :p). I felt like I was in the Olympics.

First 5k were fine, slightly undulating and ran with the clubmate, bumped into jackybacky too. Let the clubmate go between 6-10k, I knew he was in for a faster time than me. Eventually got talking to a few Danes and ran beside Kim for the next 14k or so. Took a leak somewhere here too but got back to my Danish buddy quickly enough. The aid stations were great every 5k, I stayed on the water as I felt full from breakfast and I had 4 gels too, figured that would be plenty nutrition. The bladder was empty so I also tried to consume as much as each 500ml bottle between stations, as I knew it would get hot later. My Danish buddy only kept the bottle for 500m after the aid station, I thought that might have been a mistake.

We passed by Sagrada Familia at about 16k, first time I'd ever seen it. Breathtaking. Gave macanri a shout at 21k, he was bouncing along nicely I thought, and right on pace. Things went well for me until 24k, when I lost my Danish friend as he was slowing. Things started to hurt about the 30k mark, and from 35k onwards (the beach) it was a real battle. I was riling up the crowds a lot and shouting at every Irish and Danish flag I could see, this gives me a real kick. Plenty of "Go Raheny" and Ireland shouts, they help. Wasn't really running with anyone until this hot black haired chick starts trying to pass me on the beach, I had to keep up with her. Last for about 2k, she had some bounce in her stride - fair play to her. The last few k after the Arc d'Triomphe are a bit of a blur, all narrow streets and tired legs. Went through 21.1k @ 1:37:28, but from 35k onwards I knew it was 3:20 I'd be battling. I was surprised the pace stayed under 8 m/mile until the 25th mile, so I was safe for my target from a long way out.

3:19:16 over the line.

Enjoyed the finish, lots of crowds and waving and what not. There was a nice table spread after the line, although slightly disappointing not to get anything else in a post race goody bag. It's a tricky course overall no doubt, but I can't recommend it enough.

Great race, a perfect experience as far as I'm concerned. Clubmate did 3:14 and could hardly walk after, I was walking more ably after the race. I had a 10er with me (in case we needed a taxi) which paid for the churros con choc on the way back to the hotel, went down very very well.
    Great night with the crew after in the GP, football, karaoke and cheap sangría. Congrats to everyone on their great performances, it made the night all the better.

Freddie sums it up nicely for me: "Barcelona | it was the first time that we met | Barcelona | how could I forget?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Brian and good going hitting your target....if i had of known you were only 40 secs in front of me i would have tried to catch you:p

and I am back

t'was a long 7 weeks and 2 days but I've recovered from the broken clavicle. I now hope to be more careful on the bike, it was a stupid commuting-related accident.

I haven't been thre best patient, having cycled 2+ weeks into it and ran the odd session in-between (Ray Darcy 5k in 19:50, Sonia O'Sullivan out-kicked me!), but got the all clear from the doc on Weds.

The upcoming plan in terms of events isn't too hectic, the Mt Leinster 140k in May on the bike, followed by the W200 and Cork - Galway Pfizer Chernobyl Cycle - both in June.

I was going to do to Duathlon Series in the Park, but an email thread with the RD concerning insurance issues has left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

So the plan is to stay in shape, do some tough sessions but with nothing particular in mind. I'm NOT (quote me on this) going to do another training block for an autumn marathon, I'd like to pace Dublin which will be enough to keep me out of trouble.

A couple of runs to report this week - they were so bad it hurts

Tues 27th Apr - 4 miles with the club, ca. 7:45 pace in St Anne's Park.

Thurs 29th Apr - 5+ miles out to Portmarnock, ca. 8:10 pace with a backpack on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I'm NOT (quote me on this) going to do another training block for an autumn marathon

I'd personally say you'll last a month. maybe six weeks :)

welcome back!

OK now that I'm confirmed to do some pacing in DCM, I better get the log back on track. It's been a quiet enough few weeks, other areas of life have taken priority. Have been averaging ca. 20m / week, so still keeping a good base fitness and for some reason I've dipped under 13st on the scale, I was ca. 13st 3 on the Barcelona start line. I've moved out of home so eating much better which may be the reason.

Recent runs

Fri 1st Jul
    5.5m with theboyblunder. Ca. 7:50 pace, he needs the slower runs :p Good chat, I couldn't do intervals with him as I was out for dinner the night before, didn't get enough sleep.

Tues 7th Jul - Lord Mayors Series Rd 4
    Times for the first 2 weeks were 11:37 / 11:54 (hot) / 12:17 (had zero energy), was feeling better after the few days rest. Just did 1 lap wu as opposed to the normal 2, I think it made a difference. Also wore the Marathoners over the Adizero Bostons, the Nikes are a faster shoe which also helped. First lap was 5:38, I was trying to stay as relaxed as possible. Macanri was with me, we did a bit of back and forth. foleyalan was up ahead, he likes his faster 1st laps. 2nd lap I was feeling good, got through the spots where sometimes I go through bad patches in good shape. foleyalan was ahead on the 2nd straight (there's 3 to a lap), and I gave a bit of a kick to get past him so he wouldn;t come back at me. It worked. I led macanri around the corner for the final straight (~300m), but the fecker outkicked me well at the end. 2nd mile 5:32, with 0.04 which took 11 secs. If there were less parked cars on the course the official time surely would have been fast, but I'll take an 11:22 PB any time. Hoping to get close to 11:00 by the ned of the race series in August. Good to see shels4ever looking in good shape at the start too.

Weds 8th Jul
    5m @ easy pace. Around the Raheny 5 course at 0615, felt good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

there is a good battle between the 3 of you in these races, was good to watch. Thought you had it coming of the last bend.

• Advertisement

Fri 10th Jul
    Intervals with theboyblunder and a workmates. Ended up with 3 x .7m and 2 x .5m. Tbb is in some shape, he nailed the session (5 x .75m). Nice to get the legs ticking over again, but have plenty of work to do here. 6m total.

Made a bet with one of the club lads about which of us will break 11 in the 2m club races first, we've similar speed now but I've got the years on my side so I'm quietly confident I'll pick this one up before the end of August...

Sat 11th Jul
    8m @ 8.02 solo rub out to Howth cemetery and back. Legs tired after the ints, took it handy and happy to get 8 done.

Weds Thurs Sat Sun this week
    4 x 4m early runs in Crete. All @ 8:00 pace, heat here made anything more very difficult. Happy get them in, meant getting up every morning @ 0630 which isn't great while on hols. The tan I've picked up should make me run faster in the upcoming 2m club races though....

Advertisement