Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble restarting after updates

• 31-10-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung x22 Laptop. I'm running windows vista. The laptop is less than a year old.
    It regularly comes up that there is updates available for windows and to restart. So i restart but the laptop won't start up again afterwards. So i have to turn it off by the power button. I've tried restarting in the last known good bood and in safe modes and everything. It somethimes works when i start in safe mode with commant prompt Then power off then start it again in normal mode. But i often have to do this several times to get it started and i'm a bit worried it's not good for the laptop. It can also take up to an hour to get it started which is very annoying. Anyone know why it won't restart and if there's anything i can do about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure if it is related but I just had to restore to a previous system restore point due to the most recently applied windows updates. This is the 2nd time that this has happened for me in Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use the manufactureres diag tools to check the HDD
    hdtune is also good

depending on late in the boot it slows down it may also be malware

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There has been a fair amount of hassle in the last few days over the latest updates being released.
    A number of folk alone have come to me to sort their systems out alone.
    Strange - mind you, thats Micro$oft for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Dude i have this issue its with my desktop, and i have it with win 7 as well. Its to do with the system sleeping and then waking up immediately but not waking up every device. I've tried a million things but i'd say you must be one of the millions of people this has happened to since the last update.

google, vista not sleeping and you'll see what you can do to fix it.

Sorry to leave out the quickest fix i got for it was to plug it out and in your case take out the battery and leave it out for a good while (talking 20 minutes) and you should get it to restart. Its to do with the cmos me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Well i used the restore disks that came with my laptop and it re-installed windows vista. It solved the starting up problems but i've lost everything that was installed on my pc. The programmes are still on my c drive in a folder called windows.old. I don't know how to get them back working or if i will need to re-install them or what. Anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

I've been having the same problem with an XPS 1330 since my last update.

Does anyone know how I can solve the problem without losing all the files on the computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Acheron

I have just had the same problem with my less than year old inspiron running vista. I have had to do a system restore once already this year.

I got on to dell tech support and had run the tests and they seem pretty sure it is the vista os and not the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Acheron wrote: »
    I have just had the same problem with my less than year old inspiron running vista. I have had to do a system restore once already this year.

I got on to dell tech support and had run the tests and they seem pretty sure it is the vista os and not the laptop.

Snap - I had to do a system restore point twice this year, and mine's a (vista) dell too.

Advertisement